Thread: Books that have helped you figure things out?

Books that have helped you figure things out?

Hi Everyone
    I am new here. I?ve been looking for books to help me figure out my journey, and I was wondering if any of you have read or used the following books? If you have - I?d like to know what you thought of them and if they were useful to you in figuring things out.
    Thank you for your advice and experiences!

Living with Crossdressing: Discovering Your True Identity by
    Savannah Hauk

You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery by Dara Hoffman-Fox

The Transgender Guidebook: Keys to a Successful Transition by Anne L. Boedecker

If you have any other recommendations for books that have helped you - I?d love to hear about it.
    Thanks so much!
    Jenn

Last edited by char GG; 10-06-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Deleted religion links. Also the limit is 5 URL links.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

These are not books but magazines named Tapestry and Lady Like. I don't know if they are still in publication but opened my eyes to the trans world and helped me figure out that I was not alone and nothing wrong with me. There were profiles of CDers and others in transition that brought to light that they were real people and some of the trials and tribulations they went through. These were many, many years ago but did help me greatly.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

My Husband Betty by Helen Boyd was very helpful for me. She did a lot of research and presented it well.

Nothing can really replace actual gender counseling, but Dara Hoffman-Fox's book is about a close as one can get. Dara is a professional mental health counselor who specializes in working with transgender people. Dara considers theirself queer and as such is part of the TG community. If you work through the book and give honest answers it will point you in the right direction. It did for me.
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

My private journal when I was 12
    Much later on, that site (if you have a female SO, the Ask-a-GG threads are a gold mine).
    Read a couple of books but nothing helpful in the end.
    Last edited by DianeT; 10-06-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Earlier this year Tracii recommended:
    "Hung In The Middle" by Alana Nicole Scholar &
    "My Husband Looks Better In Lingerie Than I Do .... Damn It" by her wife Bobbie Thompson.

I bought them from amazon and read them in that order as the second book is a different perspective of the story covered in the first book. I found both books helpful and very emotional and could hardly put them down.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

I second the recs of She's Not There and Love Lives Here for transgender reading

Thank you all for your recommendations. I was aware of some of those books, but others are new to me. I?ve got lots of reading to do....
    Thank you Aunt Kelly for the links too!
    I am new here so not sure if I am able to PM you yet for other links / recommendations as this thread is my first posting outside of the introduction thread.
    Jenn

I’ve read many non-fiction books about crossdressing. I think my favorite is "The Lazy Cross Dresser" by Charles Anders. She makes some good points about presentation. Too often we worry about whether our presentation is "good enough." She points out that you shouldn’t worry so much about it, just put on your dress and go. I found that viewpoint refreshing and helpful.

Thanks CynthiaD!
    I read the Lazy Crossdresser a long time ago - I should check it out again.
    (BTW the author went on to become a successful science fiction writer.)
    I?m going to add a book to this list that I just read. It?s a graphic novel by Sabrina Symington called First Year Out : A Transition Story.
    It?s drawn in a colourful, cartoony style that I found appealing. It?s based on her and her friends experiences ( a collective autiobiography?). I thought it was very affirming.
    Jenn