Thread: Getting older

Getting older

My wife told me today that a good friend of ours on the weekend woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't speak, he was having a stroke. His wife responded quickly and called the ambulance and as far as we know it was a mild stroke and he's doing Ok.
    A few weeks ago another freind of ours went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and he collapsed in the washroom, he had something to do with low blood pressure. My wife tonight during dinner brought this up and then told me we are getting older and maybe more chance of having health problems. Her point was that I have been wearing nighties or full slips to bed, and at times I will fall asleep fully dressed on the couch. Her concern is if some form of medical problem or if I had to react fast to something and every moment counts, she doesn't think she would have time or be distracted by the way I'm dressed and if I would be OK being seen that way.
    She then asked me how much did it mean to me to be dressed in a nighty or slip, and didn't really understand the thrill or the point because I'm sleeping anyway. I told her if she's going to worry about it and if it means so much to her I don't have to wear nighties to bed.
    I then told her that I didn't really care how I was dressed in a medical emergency, at times I also sleep nude and I'm not thinking if I'm going to die naked what are people going to think.
    I told her I just enjoy sleeping that way and it gives me a happy feeling when I get up in the morning. Well she kind of gave me a "do whatever you want" type answer so I guess I'm going to lay low for a while until this blows over. Back to PJs (boring)
    I'm just wondering has anyone one else here made any adjustments in there dressing habits because we are getting older, and would you care about your wife's opinion and just dress the way you want?

LOL, sorry. I have wound up in emergency room one time naked, two times dressed fem. They dont care
    They are there to save your life

Platinum Member
    Maria, I’m sure you’ve heard it here many times before: first responders, emergency room personal and health care professionals as a group really don?t care what a patient is or isn’t wearing. They are focused on the task at hand. Furthermore, privacy rules prevent them from discussing any patient’s personal information with others. Don’t worry one bit about what you’re wearing in the unlikely event of a collapse.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Maria, I agree with what Kim said, the first responders and the hospital crew have seen it all. I believe to them it is no big deal. I also recommend joining a gym and get some exercise as that can only help.
    Crissy

Having seen medical programs on TV, where the rip or cut clothing off I would be worried the ER would need to cut my clothing off. I have some priceless items I would not want destroyed.

Lets just hope and pray not any get sick or need emergency care.

I'm sure that your wife is a fine woman but she sounds like she was admonished to always have on clean undies in case she got in an accident as a kid. That sounds like the same logic and many of us were told that as youngsters.

And see I take this in an entirely different light... with life so short as it is... why not sleep how we want, dress how we want etc? I couldn’t care less what I’m wearing if I’m in the ER and even less if they are carting me off for good. I’m only 46 but I need to take my own advice and start living my life in a way that makes ME happy... I don’t mean it to sound that selfish of course but YOLO...
    Kelly a.k.a. VS Fan

Platinum Member
    The take away from this is to make sure you get an annual physical examination and pay attention to life style. If Maria's wife is so concerned about her husband being attended to by emergency response teams, then cut Maria's nightie off. I'd be more worried if I was Maria's wife when she is out driving around. Wham? Serious accident. Off to the emergency room totally en femme. I'm sure the attending nurses and doctors have encountered cross dressers with full makeup, wigs and press on nails.

As a sidebar to fuel the hysteria I will relate a story that appeared in my local newspaper. In the late 1970's right after my wife and I bought our house (1978) a cross dresser in our neighborhood who could not take the stress anymore decided to commit suicide. He sat in his recliner after setting fire to his house, and, held the firefighters at bay by shooting toward the street. Of course, the house burned down to the ground. The article gave his full name (I still remember it). It also mentioned the gruesome detail that his charred remains wore a pair of strap on heels.

Maria,

My take on this is getting older means you're running out of time to do the things that fulfill your life.

If we all worried about the medical/accident what it's then none of us would ever dress let alone go out. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the worst thing in life is to lay on your death bed thinking I'd wish I'd..........

One of the good things about getting older is you can do some of the things you were too busy with life to do while younger. You have a supportive wife who encourages you to explore more of Maria. This is just a momentary pause, keep moving forward and live life to the full.

Banned Read only
    Maria,
    Consider who it's actually going to be embarrassing for , the family or the mediacl team ? As far as the paramedics are concerned they've seen it all before so is your wife more concerned about the family knowing how you dress at night .

I'm going to be truthful and say it is something I've been thinking about , I live alone but what would happen if I was admitted to hospital in an emergency ? I've been considering packing up a small suitcase with a selection of male clothes with a washbag with shaving items etc ., just so a member of my family can collect it and bring it to the hospital . Then I have second thoughts and think what the heck , they all know my situation I'm living like a woman but then I consider I may be stuck in a hospital bed possibly needing a shave after a few days , without a wig but wearing a nightie . The other point is what ward would they logically put me in ? I would like to think if I was a post OP TS the problem wouldn't arise .

I beginning to think I need to have a talk with my family to sort this one out .

OK age does have some bearing but it's not a problem exclusive to the more mature members of the forum .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-07-2020 at 07:24 AM.

I've been having thoughts along these lines more recently since I too am getting older and one never knows what is in the future.
    Since my wife is fully accepting I'm always in my bra with forms, panties and a nightgown when sleeping. I just said that if anything were to happen make sure you remove my jewelry before they take me as I don't trust anyone to make sure it's returned.
    As for the way I'm dressed, if it's a heart attack or stroke they will most likely end up cutting off my nightgown and bra to do what they must, so that's not a worry. LOL
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Isn't it weird, being the same age as old people?
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Maria,
    but then I consider I may be stuck in a hospital bed possibly needing a shave after a few days , without a wig but wearing a nightie . The other point is what ward would they logically put me in ?.
    Well I honestly I can't imagine a hospital having any problems dealing with a transgender person regardless of their transition status. Our hospitals provide personal care items and a razor is usually one of them, but you might have to ask for one if they gave you a woman's personal care package...

Ward? You still have open wards over there? It's been double occupancy (two to a room) here for as long as I can remember.

But to the OP... Teresa has a point, I think your wife is more concerned about how she is going to have to deal with the first responders knowing you like to dress.

Well I honestly I can't imagine a hospital having any problems dealing with a transgender person regardless of their transition status. Our hospitals provide personal care items and a
    But to the OP... Teresa has a point, I think your wife is more concerned about how she is going to have to deal with the first responders knowing you like to dress.
    Agreed, this is the discussion you need to have

Banned Read only
    Roberta,
    I know hospital staff wouldn't have a problem , I was refering to family visitors .
    It's been a while since I was in hospital , the last time was for a hernia operation , it was an open ward with about six male patients and then a curtain screen with the female patients on the other side , I believe the entire ward were hernia patients as we all had the same surgeon .