Thread: October 11 - National Coming Out Day

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

October 11 - National Coming Out Day

It's a date on the calendar I've looked at and watched as it passed me by for many years. Until now. However, this is not the only time to come out and it's not intended to apply pressure to anyone who is not ready for that step. But if it's time for you, there will be others traveling the path by your side as well as additional resources that rise to the top of LGBTQ+ web pages.

I've been on this forum for many years now and it's been a great resource not just helping as I move forward but, equally important, reminding me to move at my own pace. My steady plodding along has led me to come out to others, individually at first and today I finally placed a post on my male-facing Facebook page where family, friends, former co-workers and even people I knew in high school have never known me to be anyone but the guy. I'd posted a few things in recent weeks about change in our lives and being willing to have meaningful conversations.

I have no real idea of how it's all going to go but my individual coming outs leading up to today have included all those people in my life who will be important in sustaining me going forward and they have been 98% positive in their love and support. And away we go. . . .

Here is my post:

"This is the meaningful conversation I referred to in a previous post, and this is the burned bridge of my poem a couple weeks ago. It's National Coming Out Day.
    For me at 71 years old it's less an option than a poorly held secret that I'm Transgender. I offer my love and deep respect for those who have come to support me as I've finally decided it's better to wake up smiling.
    I have been Transgender all my life but was confused, in denial, attempting to fix or accommodate, not wanting to hurt others, not giving them credit for being stronger than I feared and being fearful of the reaction.
    It's been a long time and often a struggle but I've filled my commitments to others and it's my time now. Thank you for your kind attention. There will be more personal stuff to come (be patient, I was), but if you are open to learning more, here is something to read this fine Sunday morning.

The other item to read is a link to Transequality.org "Supporting the transgender people in your life: A guide to being a good ally."
    Last edited by Sarah Doepner; 10-11-2020 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarity
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Nicely written post - I hope the people who read will be kind and supportive in their responses and actions.

Platinum Member
    Reading the news and op-ed pages of my Sunday newspaper and on-line articles there are serious assaults on rights coming soon which are intended to limit the rights of men and women to be who they are. One does not have to come out to be supportive of those who have come out and those who may come out in the future. Don't be silent.

OCTOBER11- National Coming Out Day
    Must be the reason I started dressing again , had quit and no intention of starting back and bam yesterday (11) I had to get something fem on

I called my Rubicon, once you're out there's no way to come in again, my grandma use to say that words are like feathers on the wind, so most of the time is better to be silence but to be out is the most exhilarating experience of freedom.

Before that happens we torture with the ifs but those ifs never happen and if they, we learn how to adapt and keep living.

By the other hand, more than 40% of trans people never gets out and kill themselves. To live in darkness is corrosive for the soul. It's like a corrosive acid that soon or later will leake and be corrosive for the people around.
    Walking in truth and freedom is the most important achievement for human beings but here, in this section of the crossdressers.com people loves to live in darkness under fear but they don't know that fear is a child of ignorance. When I say ignorance I don't mean to insult anybody but we all are ignorant of the future but this web was fundamental to know other's journey, mistakes and achievements to move forward.

Coming out to my wife was at the same time one of the more exhilarating days of my life but at the same time, one of the safest.

Today, wife and I had survive and she has the confidence that no more lies and I have the peace of live in freedom.

That's what the COMING OUT DAY means for me....

Mho.

Devi
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Platinum Member
    Lovely post, Sarah!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It is nice to wake up smiling! I have "let it all out" also with little negative comments! I am out at work and on Facebook! I wrote to the last people that "needed" to know; a cousin and friend in PA but no response as of yet! I will send them Christmas cards and see if they respond in kind! If not, really no loss to me! Best wishes on your journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Didn't know it was a day dedicated to it but as it happens I did leave the closet then. On Oct 11 (Thanks giving weekend in canada) Kelly was out in public in daylight for the first time ever. My wife who is supporting but not encouraging did come along to a remote town where we did walk outside along the water and in the city streets. I even interacted with some fast food clerk where my male voice definitely removed any doubt that it was I crossdresed man and she didn't even flinch.

Capture d??cran 2020-10-19 183333.jpg
    This was sent to me by a very dear TG person, the first I was brave enough to "come out to" and I never looked back afterwards
    Last edited by Bobbi46; 10-19-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman