Thread: The joys of youth......

The joys of youth......

One of our Grandsons decided he wanted to go to his school "Prom"in a dress &heels. Now knowing how teenagers can hurt each other i decided to "come out"to him -in other words give him support in his choice &assure him he was not alone.
    So he (and his Mum-She has known about Liz for a while ) came round one Saturday afternoon with a dress &heels.
    Grandson put said heels on (must have been at least 4.5inches high ) me --you will have trouble walking in them . Grandson -Oh no problem& proceeds to RUN around in the heels, me ? i couldnt walk in them !
    Ah the joys of Youth...........!
    p.s.--He had a great "Prom" with no problems from anybody--perhaps it us "oldies" that are the problem :-)

Our generation is very different from the younger generations. They generally accept gender variation as being pretty normal and a guy wearing an evening gown to a prom is different but not a problem. In our generation if we showed up that way back when we were that age, they would probably call the police to, "Arrest one of the students who is a bit crazy and needs to be put in a padded cell." Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea. Now it is, "Oh my goodness, you are beautiful. Want to dance?"

I don't think we are the problem any more than anybody else is. Values change. It has always been that way. The problem is when people get stuck thinking their expectations are ideal and variations or complete reversals degrade the traditional. We tend to forget that our grandparents thought much the same way about us that we think about the younger generations and their behavior. Long term memory tends to get corrupted over time, that is, we forget or get things that are not related mixed up to create a new reality about the past that never happened.

That's a great story, Liz. I'm glad your grandson had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    Our generation is very different from the younger generations. They generally accept gender variation as being pretty normal and a guy wearing an evening gown to a prom is different but not a problem. In our generation if we showed up that way back when we were that age, they would probably call the police to, "Arrest one of the students who is a bit crazy and needs to be put in a padded cell." Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea. Now it is, "Oh my goodness, you are beautiful. Want to dance?"

I don't think we are the problem any more than anybody else is. Values change. It has always been that way. The problem is when people get stuck thinking their expectations are ideal and variations or complete reversals degrade the traditional. We tend to forget that our grandparents thought much the same way about us that we think about the younger generations and their behavior. Long term memory tends to get corrupted over time, that is, we forget or get things that are not related mixed up to create a new reality about the past that never happened.
    Amen on that. I got out in 1970-71 on top of everyone being homophobic they had klu klux clan rallies in from of our school over bussing. Then there were all the bullies that would beat someone up just for wearing glasses or a different hair style.

Platinum Member
    No doubt that attitudes have changed. My kids are far more accepting of gay and trans people, more accepting of any difference among people than many older people. We reflect the tone of the times we come from.

As for the youngster’s ability to dash around in heels, yeah, it gets a little more challenging every day. But then, it seems getting up from a chair becomes a little more challenging every day. I recall my mother saying that she never really began to feel old until she hit 80, then things began to wear out. I may be approaching that point a bit earlier due to a number of rather traumatic and chronic injuries over the years. I seem to be aching and stiff in places that weren’t stiff before. My balance isn’t as good as it used to be and I seem to take much longer to heal.

Det er toft a vaere gammel.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 10-17-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Altho I can still wear 5" heels out for an evening of dancing, at age 77 I know my nites of that r fleeting!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    Long term memory tends to get corrupted over time, that is, we forget or get things that are not related mixed up to create a new reality about the past that never happened.
    Because the good old days weren?t always good and tomorrow ain?t as bad as it seems - Billy Joel

I think a lot depends on you region and community too. Some places and some high schools are more progressive than others.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    how times have changed. Great story.

What? No picture?
    joank
    Southern California