Thread: Kinda Feels Nice, But Also Strangely Awkward

Kinda Feels Nice, But Also Strangely Awkward

So, I'm out at a bar waiting on a drag show, and I'm wearing my new wig - the same one in my avi pic. Just had a GG tap me on the shoulder and tell me "Your hair is so beautiful!" That's awesome. 🙂

I just said "Thank you," but in my head I'm going: "Um, should I accept this compliment? I mean, this isn't remotely close to 'my hair.' It's a $20 synthetic wig. Am I being silly saying 'Thank you' like I grew this?"

Yes, that's the stuff that goes through my mind. If I'm crazy, I'm crazy.
    💜💜💜 twitter.com/val_blackbird 💜💜💜

Are we in space?
    Do we we belong someplace where no one calls it wrong?
    And like the stars we burn away the miles . . . .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quibble with a positive comment from a GG that wasn't your SA or server? When she didn't have to say a word?

No! In fact, I think u should make a note in your diary!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Apparently, the poodle puff works on me, lol. 💜💜💜

i love the look xx

Hi,
    No you didnt "grow it" but you DID buy it ..........
    Liz

Aspiring Member
    Quibble? Not on your life! Thank her kindly and graciously for that unsolicited compliment, as you did. And thank your lucky stars that you look that good wearing a twenty dollar synthetic wig! I have a wig that still draws compliments but it cost me twenty times as much.

Platinum Member
    Some of us are wired to internally reject compliments. I suppose its a reflection of self-doubt...that self deprecating voice that talks us down. I have heard that voice myself and listened to it all too often.

In therapy years ago my psychologist advised that people usually mean it when they offer a compliment. Even if the wig cost $20.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

In cases like that, I?ll just own it. ?Thank you! Got it at a wig shop downtown!? Or something to that effect.

It is best to always graciously accept a compliment.
    Hugs, Carole

Why wouldn't you accept the compliment? The hairstyle suits you, and the random GG must have thought so too.

I've had some great convo's with GG's that simply started off with them saying " I love your..." shoes, outfit, hair, jewelry, etc. I have even had male co-workers comment on my hair. I think that they might be secret admirers, or as often called "tranny chasers", but they are afraid to ask me out. LOL

Accept the compliments graciously, and even though we are wearing masks, you can still 'smile' with your eyes.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Thanks, all.

I obviously don't mind getting compliments. I do sometimes wonder if I've legitimately earned them, though. In this case, I wasn't absolutely sure if this style wig worked for me. In all, I got 4 different compliments on it, so apparently, it's at minimum acceptable. That's good. My big concern is taking compliments without thinking them all the way through. Sometimes people miss details or have a particular bias and ignore things others zero in closely upon. What I would never want is to end up in some sort of Romain Grosjean type scenario, where I'm acting like I'm highly skilled, and everyone can see I'm obviously terrible.

So, that's all it is.
    Last edited by Val_Blackbird; 10-24-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Missed a word.
    💜💜💜 twitter.com/val_blackbird 💜💜💜

Are we in space?
    Do we we belong someplace where no one calls it wrong?
    And like the stars we burn away the miles . . . .

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_Blackbird View Post
    Thanks, all.
    What I would never want to end up in some sort of Romain Grosjean type scenario, where I'm acting like I'm highly skilled, and everyone can see I'm obviously terrible.

So, that's all it is.
    You need to let go of that trauma. Every person who ever says anything to us could be misleading us, lying to us, or simply just trying to make us feel nice. Doesn't matter. You take a compliment at face value and move on.

It's impossible unless the person somehow told you why they felt the need to approach you and give you a compliment.

It's not so much about the item, it is more about you. It is a good thing.

It can definitely be about the item, but I generally find it is more about as they say a form of acceptance. Like a starting point.

Good for you.

It's

Yes Kind of Awkward. My gf often compliments me on my body when im wearing lingerie. I guess im just not used to having an accepting partner. Ine interesting moment was when a female co worker commented on my chest saying im looking good and I must be working out. No its just my bra.
    Anyway im getting more comfortable with my gf telling me im sexy in my lingerie nder my boy clothes

No Heel is Too High.... When it's Pointed at the Ceiling

Always accept a compliment graciously.
    It would be bad form to downgrade the compliment by admitting it was "just a wig" or something.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I had a similar compliment at a craft fair in Bakewell. When I told my partner she explained it was a subtler way of showing positivity, acceptance and welcome.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    was the line just an opening , was there more conversation later?

I hear things like this and I automatically think about Dolly Parton's answer to a young lady that wanted to know how long it took to do her hair; "Honey, I have no idea, I'm never there."

Absolutely own your truth!
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Thanks, again, all.

No, no further conversation. Just her compliment and my thanks. I mean, it's a gay bar, so I assume she thought I'm gay. Wrong, but not unreasonable.

Firstly, I agree with Darla. This happens to me often in public over attire, figure, hair, jewelry, etc. I believe these cases involve a sympathetic and supportive person who simply wants to make contact with you and share some conversation with you. I understand, you are very attractive and it is more than hair.

Hey Val,

I love going to bars with drags shows because of interactions like that. Sometimes they are brief, sometimes not. What Jodie said is very true. Getting and giving compliments to women is a really easy ice breaker for some wonderful conversations. I just go with the flow if they want to keep talking.

I would not really try to over think it. You are in a social setting so it is to be expected.

Have fun. Be safe.

Sandi

Aspiring Member
    When out, I seem to pass. I have received several compliments from other women, even young college students. They have complimented my hair, shoes, fingernails (press on but they did not know), jewelry and clothing. I always just gracefully say thank you, you are so sweet! If they ask where I got it I will tell them. The young college student that complimented my nails asked if I had gotten them done that day and I said yes. She said she had too! We had matching pink nails! So much fun.....
    Michellecd9999

Silver Member
    Yes, accept any and all compliments when you receive them. Thank them and carry on. I remember the first time I was stopped in a mall by a young woman who told me I looked "really, really, really nice" in my plaid skirt, black crocheted top and black wedges. She had me floating on air for weeks, but I did wonder if she really meant it

Even if you sense sarcasm in their voice, take them at their literal word and thank them. But turn away and don't give them a chance to follow up with meanness. You know yourself well enough to be able to turn your back on haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianne_bc View Post
    Yes Kind of Awkward. My gf often compliments me on my body when im wearing lingerie. I guess im just not used to having an accepting partner...Anyway im getting more comfortable with my gf telling me im sexy in my lingerie nder my boy clothes
    I'm just now getting over that, my wife has been great, but only recently can I truly accept her compliments as more than just her trying to make me feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Val_Blackbird View Post
    I wasn't absolutely sure if this style wig worked for me.
    Its the only one I've seen on you, but a big fat YES! It works, you look super cute in it.
    Be the best you, be the true you.
    That said, I love faceapp so much I change my avatar daily

https://giphy.com/gifs/l0MYEWpv7Ue0RFVaE/html5

Banned Read only
    Val,
    Don't fight it let them assume it's your hair , take these as genuine compliments , you would feel far more upset if she called you out for obviously wearing a wig .