Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wearing skirts in male mode.

I have read through the replies to my request for your thoughts on wearing a skirt while presenting male. For those who are encouraging, I say thank you.
    For those who expressed concern about my motives, I understand some of your concern. However I have gone out fully dressed with wig, makeup, and breasforms, in an attempt to look fully female. Every time went out presenting as entirely female, my stomic was in knots and I felt as though I was being false to myself.
    I do feel that I fall somewhere along the gender nonconforming/transgender area of being, I have been looking for a way to combine masculine and feminine styles of dress into my daily outfits.
    This is not a lark, it is an attempt to express how I feel in the way I dress, just like most women do every day.
    Last edited by Kelly Greene; 11-14-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I sometimes wear a Utilikilt in regular guy-mode. It gets a lot of attention and is very comfortable.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Silver Member
    I am an ardent MIAD. As someone else said, it comes down to confidence. After several years of careful tutoring by a group of very talented dress store SAs, I know I can put together an outfit that works with my figure and makes me look tasteful and presentable. My interactions with women while I'm out in the real world confirm this. No one who has ever spoken to me has ever appeared uncomfortable. Rather, the vibe I get is that I am accepted into the world of women, not necessarily as a full card carrying member, but as an honorary member, who is permitted to speak about things women just don't discuss with non intimate males. I am accepted, not rejected.

Also, given my physical size, age, and baldness, I truly believe that if I tried to make myself passable, I would be able to convince no one. Unless you are the lucky 1% who have a petite figure and dainty features to start with, women are going to spot the crossdresser in the crowd. As for me, I would be nothing more than a tragic joke. It just wouldn't work, and I have seen enough pictures on this website that confirm how bad it can get. No offense intended, because I think I would be even worse.

No, I do not believe it is necessary to try passing as a woman. Success lies in carefully choosing your clothes, wearing them with confidence and OWNING it
    Last edited by suzanne; 11-14-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Based on my own experiences, I couldn't agree more with Suzanne. She worded it perfectly.

To illustrate my point and confirm Suzanne's, when I dress I present as a feminine male. I do not wear a wig and I do not mix and match masculine and feminine clothing. From the public, I feel acceptance and sometimes overwhelming support. Be respectful, be responsible, be confident ("OWN IT"), and you will be rewarded.

To the OP. My thought is that we ultimately have to just style our look to our own tastes since "looking nice" will always be determined in the eye of the beholder.

---

To those that scorn those of us who would wear a skirt in "male mode" because we make it difficult for the "real crossdressers", have you ever considered that many of the truly transgendered identities make it harder for those who would choose certain items of clothing without a feminine identity. Even our wives assume that, because we might like to wear a skirt or any other item of clothing from the woman's department, we want to identify as a woman, no matter how untrue that is.

What you're saying is no different from a FtM CD's complaining that feminine GG's wear pants. You should consider that 100 years ago, it was still illegal in many jurisdictions for a woman to wear trousers of any kind. Even when I was a kid, it was socially unacceptable for women to wear pants in many settings where it's considered to be the norm now. I would argue that it was actually the feminine GG's that opened the door for women in pants, not the other way around.

Life is hard for everyone. To blame masculine identifying crossdressers for making your life harder isn't gonna make your life easier. It just makes opponents of those who might otherwise be allies.
    Last edited by Bea_; 11-15-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Well said Bea. I like your point of view.

Allie

Who are we kidding? It's likely that 80 to 90 percent of us are clocked anyways, and viewed as a man in a dress.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greene View Post
    What are your thoughts on how to look nice while presenting as male and wearing a skirt?
    I can think of 4 approaches:
    1) Trying to be fashionable, avant-garde
    2) Trying to use a skirt as a male (masculine?) garment
    3) Wearing an obviously feminine style but projecting confidence and trying to be stylish
    4) Going for a very specific look like goth, scottish kilt (but with skirt), Malaysian saraong, etc.

I can only speak to #2 since I have tried this. I think without trying to be stylish, you could choose a skirt that complements your other male clothing. So the skirt fabric should be similar to what you would otherwise wear (like khaki or jeans), in colors common in mens clothing (black, brown, navy). Then just make sure the other male clothing you are wearing are nice. Then be yourself!

As kilt wearer i have been following this thread, do wonder if those who sugest wearing a kilt understand how heavy &expensive they are (a good kilt that is ) true its possable to get a knock around kilt for ?20. I came across a Cargo kilt on Ebay &bought one (for hill walking) they are fairly heavy but can take the wear &tear of rough walking . So here's what they look like--they have two external pockets (no need of a Sporran ! ) perhaps of some interest here--cargo kilt.jpg

Wearing a utility kilt is great if you like the style, but it's not MIAD style crossdressing. Plenty of men's goth skirts would fill the bill too without the social stigma of wearing a woman's skirt. But, is that responsive to Kelly's OP? Only Kelly can answer that.

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    I have to confess that this thread made me a bit sad. What's possibly wrong with somebody wearing whatever clothes they wish? Is this community really also throwing some judgemental BS? Isn't there already too much of it out there?

I feel the same way about femme mode feels being fake. Before covid I went to monthly Girls Night Out with other CDers, and most of them go full femme. At first I did my version of full femme (which is still less than most of what they were doing), but as I got to know them they said come as my non-binary self. So I go there now as my normal non-binary, but on the more femme side than my usual but not so far femme that it is out of character for me.

Regarding stomach knots, I feel personally it takes the same amount of courage to go out all femme as it does skirt in male mode. Because most of the issue is your thoughts and you are going to have the same thoughts doing either. At least at first, after a while those fears go away.

Regarding kilts mentioned a few times, either they are cheap and basically a skirt or the real deal a bit of work (more money, heavier, need to be careful to keep the pleats such as ironing after washing). But if you like skirts, it might be worth giving one a try if you think you might like kilts.

I say, if the skirt fits, wear it. Whatever makes you happy, do it. I think it would cause less problems to be out in a skirt only, than dressed to the hilt, because of the restroom problem and other issues. With only a skirt on, people get what they see.

kilt

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    Wearing a utility kilt is great if you like the style, but it's not MIAD style crossdressing. Plenty of men's goth skirts would fill the bill too without the social stigma of wearing a woman's skirt. But, is that responsive to Kelly's OP? Only Kelly can answer that.
    Hmm,
    Try telling that to the great general public......... :-)
    liz

I'm not saying you won't get stares, eye-rolls and laughed at for wearing a men's kilt. I'm saying the laughing won't be about wearing a women's skirt, aka crossdressing.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 11-18-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Not necessary to quote the post directly before yours

Having done that for many years I will share my experience. It was once a bit sketchy, cod be uneventful to a lot of people laughing. It has got to a point where most don't pay attention or care. I domt imagine everyone stopped noticing just they no longer care as we have progressed into a more liberal society. If you want to wear a skirt or dress or what ever do it. Those on a forum such as this will almost always say it gives us a bad name and makes it harder on others. I say bolderdash. The more others see others dressed differently then the norm the more normal it becomes. I had a conversation with someone once and asked if it was the first time seeing a guy wearing a skirt? It was. I said well next time it won't seam so odd. To which they agreed. I did notice that the denim skirts attracted less attention even when I got the most attention. But your experience may vary.