Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wearing skirts in male mode.

Wearing skirts in male mode.

What are your thoughts on how to look nice while presenting as male and wearing a skirt?
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

I think it is a difficult thing to do in the Western World. In many other places it is much more acceptable. I have found that even a kilt is often read as an attempt to break the rule of pants for men and whatever for women. I have a hiking kilt I sometimes wear on hikes or even walks in the city. It is like a magic potion that tends to make you invisible to many. On the trail it is more acceptable.

That said, I am sure there are ways you can make it work well. After all there is that fellow in Germany named Mark who gets along very nicely in corporate life with feminine from the waist down and masculine from the waist up. So, it can be done. Maybe it just takes a lot of courage. Personally, I think he looks great and very acceptable. But then I am biased.

The Mark that Gretchen referred to is our own Mark B who just recently was featured in many newspapers for his wearing skirts and heels.
    Crissy

Reality Check
    My thoughts are, I wouldn't do it.

Wearing a skirt while otherwise presenting as a male will only call attention to yourself and not in a good way. If you have a family or job that you care about, it would be a bad idea.
    Krisi

While some may enjoy that and the attention it garners it's not something I wish to do.
    My presentation is all female. I have no desire to be seen any other way even if I do wear women's t's and jeans and shoes now and then when not in full female mode.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    My thoughts are please don't.

It's hard enough for transwomen to be accepted without guys running around in skirts for fun.

If you absolutely must wear a skirt in otherwise male mode, wear a Utilikilt.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 11-10-2020 at 10:47 AM.

I have been toying with this idea. I disagree with Kristi and Cheryl. I think others would be more inclined to accept a male presenting as such in a skirt as a quirky style or maybe an expression of some femininity. You might get a second look but might not get the stares or snickers if clocked as a cd when in full attire. I think if more of us were bold enough to do it it would start to be acceptable.

I would not do it in a professional environment depending on where you work. But out running errands pairing the skirt with a complimentary top might be just the balance you need to express both sides of yourself.

The shoes are where I hit a block. I guess it would depend on the type of skirt. I have a jean skirt that I wear often. If I were to go out with it I?d probably just wear my male sneakers or sandals. But if it was a dressier skirt I might want to wear more fem shoes.

All this to say. If the skirt seems to go with the rest of the outfit, I think it is an unconventional but acceptable fashion choice.

Wow! I never expected these responses!

If you want to wear a skirt as a man I can't think of a better example than Mark. I can't imagine any bad confrontations, at least any worse than many here presenting as a woman and don't pass.

Kelly, if you do it, do it with style.

I vote No. With all that?s going on, the community isn?t ready. One rarely sees a woman wearing a skirt or dress, let alone a guy.

I often did on vacation - not sure I would do it at work (though I am tempted). Mark B does it well - looks sharp and extrudes confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post

It's hard enough for transwomen to be accepted without guys running around in skirts for fun.

The only problem with this approach is that it makes other people's ignorance the responsibility of the wearer. Assuming things about trans people based on seeing a guy in a skirt is a flaw of the observer, not the observed.

I couldn?t disagree more with the general consensus expressed below. It all comes down to confidence, just like Mark B. you either live the life you want and embrace it or not, it?s hard but try not to come from fear. I have personally experienced nothing but love and embrace when I wear a skirt out as a guy (yes even with stubble). Again my experience is that it all stems from confidence.

I feel the world is changing and embracing individuality and not conforming to stereotypes is totally acceptable. My kids and there friends don?t bat an eyelid if I?m in a skirt or dress either as a guy or in more feminine facial appearance.

My vote is do as you please and people like Roberta need to rethink their position on these issues. The more people embrace individuality and uniqueness the closer we get to a world of love and acceptance vs. categories, labels, stereotypes and people coming from fear for not conforming.

Hold your head high and wear what the hell you want. Just own it.

This might be the most exclusionary thing I have read on this forum. As a MIAD most of the time my CD issues are just as real as anyone else?s. We are not running around in skirts for fun but are trying to find ways to express this CD side of ourselves. Maybe I should just ignore this as some have advised me on another thread. But that would mean that the discrimination I feel goes unchallenged. I have more to say but I will stop here for discretions sake.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Whatever blows your hair back! As long as u can handle the flack and attention that dressing different creates? Go for it!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Like everything else in life it goes to confidence, if you want to wear a skirt out and feel comfortable then do it.
    Crissy

Nancy Sue, You got that right. A skirt or dress, is a nearly extinct thing around most places now.

Banned Read only
    Kelly,
    Personally it's a look I can't take to , I do try and see both sides of this debate but when I look in ther mirror if I'm doing a quick try on to decide what to wear for the day I need my makeup and wig on .

To a point I agree with Roberta if the guy just wants to do it for the fun of it because it's also undermining the work and stress some TGs have gone through to find an acceptance level , having your confidence knocked takes sometime to regain it .

I'm still undecided about Mark B , I find there are some unanswered questions and motives in his presentation .

Banned Read only
    I know I sound harsh and exclusionary but I am tired of being called a man in a dress or being asked to use the men's room because " You are just playing dressup and it makes the ladies nervous.".

I get it you all just want to have fun in a skirt or are trying to decieve people that you are a GG. I am not dressing because it makes me "hard" and I am not trying to fool anyone into thinking I am a GG. So yeah I have a hard time with people who are because while you can go home and put the dress away until next time. I am dressed all the time and your antics makes my life that much tougher than it should be.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 11-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.

In the spirit of understanding another point of view. Please explain how a man wearing a skirt undermines TG acceptance.

Go for it! I admire the fortitude of anyone brave enough to live how they want to. It's not my thing but then again so many other things aren't either. Live and let live. Certain people here have conniptions over anything that does not fit their narrow views.

Robertacd,

I understand that you are full time. Those who post in the MtF section are here because many are not full time. You are certainly entitled to your feelings, however, there is no need to complain about those who just crossdress, particularly in the MtF section. Everyone has their own reasons and their own lives to lead.
    Last edited by char GG; 11-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.

I also vote for whatever floats your boat. I also with others in that wearing what you want does not in the grand scheme of life matter one way or another. I don't always like a lot of what some people wear, while at the same time I celebrate their right to wear what they want, and that includes cis-women and everyone on the trans spectrum and under that big umbrella. Comics who dressed as a woman for a comedy sketch or a movie have actually helped us by getting the situation out in the public. The more that the general population understands that we exist, in all of our shapes and forms, the better all of us will be, now and most definitely into the future.

Before blaming others for not passing, one needs to look in the mirror to see if they may be right! I strive to blend, but there is just so much I can do with my 73 year old body, skin and face. I, as have many of those told not to dress "that way", have learned how to accept themselves and deal with life. Some here need to do the same. Live and let live!

Wow. Just wow. As a "life long" cross dresser, up until this year, I'd ventured out literally a couple of times. In the dark. Usually in the car. In the past month/6 weeks, I've finally summoned the will/nerve to go out. In broad daylight, "fully" cross dressed, out and about, shopping etc. Not just clothing stores, but the mall, grocery store etc. As yes, sometimes I've worn a skirt (probably about 50% of the time actually).

I'm not passable. I did wonder if "I was betraying the sisterhood" by not being passable? But you know what? I'm not.
    OK, I'm "careful" where and when I go, and, so far, nothing has happened, and nothing has been said. I KNOW some people have looked. And, I'm amazed that I don't really care. (I've also had a Ma'am and a Miss directed at me...)

Kelly, you have one life to live. My advice to you, is the advice I gave to myself, just be careful out there. You could run into someone who doesn't approve of your clothing choices. Running into it here? I guess that's what the "Add to Ignore List" is for...

If your confidence level is up to it, be you, what ever that may be! I am 24/7 pre-op transwoman and until the confidence reached a certain level going out dressed was always a little uncertain! Now it is just me going out! Everyone has the right to live their life as they see fit! You only get one, so just do the best you that you can whatever that may be! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I was at a shopping centre recently and saw a young man wearing a skirt and presenting as a MIAD.
    If wearing skirts or dresses, most male shoes wouldn't really look as good with them if presenting as a MIAD but there are plenty of more androgynous sorts of shoes that would work.
    Some sort of bags would be necessary because of the general lack of pockets in ladies clothes