Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detransition

Hi katya,
    yes what we might lose is very important especially at my age at 66 , fear of losing a job or fear on how you will be accepted are very real and affect us all differently , with me I think my daughter knows more than she is saying LOL and may be open minded to it my son on the other hand is quite phobic but I do not feel he knowledge other than what social media provides .i recently after a 10 year battle lost both mom and wife mom to heart failure at 99.5 4 months later my wife to alzheimer"s I kept her home all those years in respect to her wishes , this has left me in a strange vacum over the last year and now find myself more than ever wanting to reach out but also be accepted for who I am there again is that fear ,in my favor I am gender fluid if you will as a tomboy so easy to dress and present unisex but also lean heavier in the girl dept, if that makes any sense I am almost retired time to head back to alaska and reunite my inner peace

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

love what you wrote on your chalk board sadly human wise we cannot always practice what we feel with ourselves , as to your students kids seem to me more accepting as a rule and the only backlash you might see would be a narrow minded parent acting like a karen if you will to the admin youve made it 3 years well the only reply there is youv'e got this girl!!

Thank you for that Robin. I am going to start that part of the transition next month. For someone with a lot of questions about not being sure if they want to start, they have an idea of what might happen if you stop. Same thing for ones that have started and are in the same situation as you or maybe for different reasons. This is the kind of information I look for on this site. I know everyone is different but it gives good information. Again, thank you.

Aspiring Member
    Hi phylis anne,
    I'm sorry to hear about all the family loses you had. The fear is real, regardless of age and circumstances. It is always tempting to justify why it was easy for someone else to come out vs. your own circumstances. The truth is, it's hard for everyone, and the truth is it was harder yet for those who came out when the world was a less accepting place than today. But there is a lot of reward that comes with it, like the freedom to be who you are, and there is a satisfaction that you are helping to make the world a more accepting place by your own example and may just help and give a courage to do the same to someone else, who is in a similar situations. Good luck!
    Last edited by Katya@; 11-20-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Silver Member
    ... I hate being the focus of attention ...
    I can barely begin to tell you how much this statement resonates. It's a very prominent theme in my life, both personal and public. It, plus social anxiety, are even behind some suicide ideation. I regard it as a manifestation of growing up trans.

This theme runs through and through the OP. I sympathize and empathize. Nonetheless, some focused counseling is in order, IMO. It might have been better earlier, but better late than never.
    Lea

Aspiring Member
    Hi Lea,

For what it's worth - based on my personal experience, I got zero attention or focus after coming out to friends and colleagues, to the point that it bothered me. I personally don't mind to be the center of attention but it felt like everyone just moved on and didn't care, at least in front of me. I was hoping to educate people, etc, but only few reached out with any questions. Was I subject of discussions by others behind my back? Yes, I was. I found out number of those offline discussions among family members, but even those are short lived. If this is the only reason that holds you back - I wouldn't stress out about it.

Banned Read only
    Katya,
    It's the expectation of thinking we will be the centre of attention , I now turn it round and see it as total acceptance , I do also think we have educated people because I don't get a response . We must remember that some people have never come across a TG person before , how are they expected to react ? The fact I've gained so many new friends says it all to me .

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    I can barely begin to tell you how much this statement resonates. It's a very prominent theme in my life, both personal and public. It, plus social anxiety, are even behind some suicide ideation. I regard it as a manifestation of growing up trans.

This theme runs through and through the OP. I sympathize and empathize. Nonetheless, some focused counseling is in order, IMO. It might have been better earlier, but better late than never.
    Hi LeaP and everyone who responded,

First, let me say that the focus of my post is more on the physical effects of putting your transition on pause months after beginning HRT. I was just trying to be helpful as I did not see a lot on it out there. Most of the de-trans postings on the web focus on delegitimizing being a trans person and not giving information on the effects of having to or deciding to halt transition. There are plenty of medical reasons that would interrupt a woman's ability to take feminizing hormones. My post might be helpful to either group of people, those who medically must stop transition and those like me who choose to.

Next, I have always known that my parents gave me XY chromosomes for an XX soul. I'm just as trans today as I was when I was 5 or 10 or 35 or 55. At least for now though, I am not prepared to continue transition under the current circumstances. I admire all of you that see your way through the challenges, I'm just not personally wired to do that. Holding the position that I do in the organization I am in, it would draw attention. I was ready to slowly transition in the workplace but the pandemic has kept me out of the workplace for the foreseeable future. Once we are back, if I'm ready, I'll start again.

I'm glad the discussion has expanded beyond the scope of my original post. Transition is multilevel chess and the lines are very blurred. It does not exist on only a physical or emotional or psychological level.

Thank you all again for contributing.

Robin
    I'm just trying to find a decent melody
    A song that I can sing in my own company

U2

Banned Read only
    Robin,
    I'm so glad you've posted this thread , we all know transition isn't a bed of roses and taking a step back isn't always the wrong move to make . I guess one aspect of going on hormones after telling everyone is the fear that you may have to reject the idea and people saying " I told you so !" I'm thinking more about close family and possibly work colleagues with that comment .

I hope you can resolve your dilemma , my gut feeling is your work colleagues will be more supportive than not if you cahnge your mind in the future .

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I guess one aspect of going on hormones after telling everyone is the fear that you may have to reject the idea and people saying " I told you so !" I'm thinking more about close family and possibly work colleagues with that comment .
    In my experience it's a lot harder to put the toothpaste back into the tube than squeezing it out (coming out).

Robin, I have been on estradiol valerate for 9 years and still have not socially transition from being male with my masculine name and never will. I have developed DD sized breasts and I as a man was never been made uncomfortable by anyone with my figure. With a bra cup size of DD it's not possible to hide my breasts. With my experience I say it is possible to take estrogen and remain a man.

I don't miss the.sharp male.scent.I used to have and enjoy my.more youthful appearance. Also I don't have to shave my face every day anymore as the growth has slowed down. I'm calmer.and I no longer have the urge to drink to excess.

John
    Last edited by JohnH; 12-03-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

On pausing transition

I've been wanting to add my experience to this thread but have had a hard time trying to concisely craft my comment because, as Robin said in #32, "Transition is multilevel chess..." and "It does not exist on only a physical or emotional or psychological level."

I'll do my best to keep it short though.

About five weeks ago I decided I had to stop my medical transition.

The changes I experienced I'm sure won't be the same for everyone. This is primarily because the antiandrogen I was taking, my dosage of estrogen and its delivery method might be different from yours. And of course because not everyone reacts the same to hormone therapy even if all that were identical.

First week: no perceptible changes whatsoever.
    Second week: no perceptible changes until the fourth day of the week. There were a few slight, almost imperceptible changes. For example, I began to notice slight changes that indicated my skin was reverting back. My mental and emotional state seemed to be changing back a little as well.

I feel like I should add here (and perhaps I've buried the lede but) I knew that this pause in my medical transition would be temporary. Whether that was going to be 2 to 3 weeks, a month or six months. I knew it would only be temporary. With that in mind, I felt ok mentally and emotionally going into this pause certain I would start again.

Third week: by this time I could tell my emotional and mental state was changing back quite a bit. There was an underlying anger, irritability, resentment, aggressiveness and quick temper that my wife had complained about in the past that was slight but coming back. By the end of this third week, my wife and I were arguing a little bit every day. Also in this third week, I began noticing a few more physical changes. About the third or fourth day of this week I had my first night erection. That had not happened since about my 10th day of taking my hormone therapy meds. My skin was no longer as soft as it had been before. My "boy smell" came back a little. And it seemed as though the shape of my face began to revert back, even if it was just the slightest bit that it changed in the few months I had been taking my medicine. The pores on my face were more visible as well. I also noticed the tiny bit of fat deposit I had gotten in my thighs and rear end had started to revert back. The tiny bit of breast development I had, was becoming soft and squishy, more like man boobs and didn't really have the firm feel they had before.

Fourth week: the changes were most noticeable at this time. My skin was no longer soft. The pores in my face were clearly visible. The whiskers on my face we're growing like they had before. The slight curve and feminine shape I had been seeing was now gone, my nipples no longer ached and were no longer as easy to hurt as they were before and I couldn't "feel" them. What I mean by that is I couldn't feel them against my bicep or my forearm when I put my hand up to my neck or face. Emotionally I was back to my old, mean, irritated and frustrated self. It would take very little to make me irritable and have me lash out at my wife.

There are a few other things but this is getting very long so I'll end it here.
    I will add this last bit though. I have started taking my meds again. Today in fact ends one week. I can say with utmost certainty (and my wife can confirm), estrogen helps me to be a nicer person. I am amazed at how quickly I responded physically and emotionally once I started again. Only two days and my boobs had that firm sort of feeling to them and that weird little ache. Also I didn't feel like being mean anymore as well. A full week and things are even better.
    Last edited by IamWren; 12-04-2020 at 12:31 AM.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

The benefits of estrogen medication have been so.great I don't want.to.stop. My wife.notices that I.am.a lot calmer and not so irritable. She even says, *John, take your hormone" when I'm crabby.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Banned Read only
    Iamwren,
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to tell us your experiences .

As you say at the start and echoed Robin's words there are layers to this and each person has a different experience , partially perhaps from the mental situation .

OK I admit I'm not on hormones but still experience the changes in my attitude , by that I mean on the odd occasions I have to do male mode I'm a different person , the aggressive side surfaces , I'm less tolerant when driving . I finally persuaded my mother to see me as Teresa because of that reason , I had to admit to her being the man was too painful .

As for taking hormones I'm more on the fence than ever , my TS friend advises against it simply because I'm where I want to be now , my TG friends keep wondering what's holding me back . How do I feel ? Well I would like to have the changes you describe .
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-04-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Wren. Thanks for sharing your experience. After 3 years into transitions, imagining the reversal to my old self, is nothing short of a traumatic experience. On the upside, it is just as useful to understand that I am on the right track.
    Last edited by Katya@; 12-04-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Aspiring Member
    IamWren,

Almost exactly describes my experience and timelines coming off HRT.

Robin,

As someone who falls into the CD'ing camp I was left pondering how your situation is that different from those who decide to "Come out" and go full time without transitioning. Theirs is an instant transformation, drab to fab overnight. Their work colleagues are faced with the situation you describe as having to face and from what's written here most report only positive outcomes.

So pardon me but I have to ask, is this a case of those little gremlins sitting on your shoulder whispering about how it's all going to turn out horribly wrong when in reality that's far from the truth.

Having started your transition months before the virus hit I'm assuming your colleagues knew of your situation and while you may find yourself the focus of attention my guess is that'll be short lived as the novelty will wear off quite quickly, much like when someone gives birth and returns to the office with lots of pictures, this is the way of things.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Robin,

As someone who falls into the CD'ing camp I was left pondering how your situation is that different from those who decide to "Come out" and go full time without transitioning. Theirs is an instant transformation, drab to fab overnight. Their work colleagues are faced with the situation you describe as having to face and from what's written here most report only positive outcomes.

So pardon me but I have to ask, is this a case of those little gremlins sitting on your shoulder whispering about how it's all going to turn out horribly wrong when in reality that's far from the truth.

Having started your transition months before the virus hit I'm assuming your colleagues knew of your situation and while you may find yourself the focus of attention my guess is that'll be short lived as the novelty will wear off quite quickly, much like when someone gives birth and returns to the office with lots of pictures, this is the way of things.
    Helen,

Your assumption was off. Those at work did not know that I had begun transition. I was transitioning medically before transitioning socially. While physical changes were occurring, people see what they expect to see until the dissonance between their eyes and their brains requires them to reevaluate what they expect. When you change right in front of someone, they just adjust as you go. There was real change between starting HRT in October and December but not so radical that anyone that saw me everyday would notice. I started spiro at the end of December and that with the increase in E gave me good results but I was only on the job until March 6th. Once I increased both again in April, things really took off. When I stopped I was approaching the next appointment with another increase in dosages. Had I continued, I would have had increases in October and perhaps this month.

Are the "gremlins" on my shoulders whispering in my ears? Well, I think that is what I said. I don't fear for my job. I don't fear that I will lose my income or health insurance or face the issues that many of our sisters do who have the strength to see it through. It takes a lot of courage to transition and become who you really are. I don't have that kind of courage. Going to war, I've done that. It is scary but, no problem. Put on a skirt and makeup and go to work? I'm not that brave, even though it represents who I am.

Robin

U2

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-TX View Post
    It takes a lot of courage to transition and become who you really are. I don't have that kind of courage. Going to war, I've done that. It is scary but, no problem. Put on a skirt and makeup and go to work? I'm not that brave, even though it represents who I am
    Perhaps a paradox for cis folks but so real for trans folks!

I'm finally me; I'm free. LisaMarieDayton's Avatar
    I have found myself questioning for awhile if I had the personal courage to be out at work as Lisa. I am a city transit bus driver and it was extremely rough dealing with gang members, drug addicts, drunks, and teenagers as a male and I thought there wasn't any way I could do the job as a trans female. It turns out that I can. The days have been tough; however. I get called gay slurs and have been laughed at almost everyday. It's okay to question yourself and ask if you have the courage to transition at work. Go at a pace you are comfortable with. Don't feel bad about yourself for retreating and formulating a new plan of action. For me, I am glad I did transition full time, but it isn't for everyone and that is okay.

Thank you for sharing this! Some of these issues are why I am not even considering transitioning right now.

If only you could see me sarahcsc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-TX View Post
    I was changing too fast in a pandemic where no one sees me... If it was slowly in the work place, maybe but it would have been alright. But as it was, it would have been a shock and as I hate being the focus of attention, I just could not do it.... I just can't show up one day and shock everyone... I cannot take the spotlight that would come with going from, Robin-all-guy, to Robin-a-woman all in one day... Are the "gremlins" on my shoulders whispering in my ears?...
    Robin
    Dear Robin,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't think anybody has mentioned this to you, but you ought to be aware of something called 'internalized transphobia'. It is a phenomenon whereby people internalize societal attitudes and stigma towards transpeople and mistakenly assuming that stigma as their own and directing it towards themselves.

I am a psychiatrist who is trans and I work with transpeople to get over their issues. Internalized transphobia is quite a common phenomenon with clients I encounter, especially if they are of the boomer generation (younger generations are less transphobic). They don't just worry about 'not passing', they are particularly disgusted by the image and notion of themselves looking like a 'man in a dress'. It is exactly what a transphobe would say except they have internalized it and saying it to themselves.

They are also afraid of 'too much change' or 'changing too fast', which is what a transphobe would say to them when they can't accept someone's transition.

It is rarely about shocking other people (although transphobes will be the ones who are most shocked in general) but shocking yourself. I have an inkling that your reluctance is about not wanting to shock the internalized transphobe within yourself (your little gremlins) by showing up in the front of a mirror one day looking a certain way.

But of course, I may be wrong. I'll leave you to ponder that.

My patients sometimes ask me about the statistics of detransition. There are some good data here (https://www.ustranssurvey.org/) if you're interested. Basically, amongst some 30,000 transpeople interviewed in the US in 2015, roughly 8% have de-transitioned at least once. But get this, 62% of the de-transitioners have re-transitioned and living full time as their preferred gender. Very few actually 'regret' their transition due to identity confusion, most de-transition because of peer pressure (and maybe internalised transphobia too).

Don't be too hard on yourself ok? There is always love and acceptance around and within yourself, but you have to first believe that you are deserving of it.

Take care,
    S
    Last edited by sarahcsc; 04-02-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" - Ayn Rand

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    Many thanks for taking the time to give a professional opinion but your last line says it all for me , finding the true person that is deserving , for some of us it takes almost a lifetime .

Quote Originally Posted by sarahcsc View Post
    Dear Robin,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't think anybody has mentioned this to you, but you ought to be aware of something called 'internalized transphobia'. It is a phenomenon whereby people internalize societal attitudes and stigma towards transpeople and mistakenly assuming that stigma as their own and directing it towards themselves.

I am a psychiatrist who is trans and I work with transpeople to get over their issues. Internalized transphobia is quite a common phenomenon with clients I encounter, especially if they are of the boomer generation (younger generations are less transphobic). They don't just worry about 'not passing', they are particularly disgusted by the image and notion of themselves looking like a 'man in a dress'. It is exactly what a transphobe would say except they have internalized it and saying it to themselves.

They are also afraid of 'too much change' or 'changing too fast', which is what a transphobe would say to them when they can't accept someone's transition.

It is rarely about shocking other people (although transphobes will be the ones who are most shocked in general) but shocking yourself. I have an inkling that your reluctance is about not wanting to shock the internalized transphobe within yourself (your little gremlins) by showing up in the front of a mirror one day looking a certain way.

But of course, I may be wrong. I'll leave you to ponder that.

My patients sometimes ask me about the statistics of detransition. There are some good data here (https://www.ustranssurvey.org/) if you're interested. Basically, amongst some 30,000 transpeople interviewed in the US in 2015, roughly 8% have de-transitioned at least once. But get this, 62% of the de-transitioners have re-transitioned and living full time as their preferred gender. Very few actually 'regret' their transition due to identity confusion, most de-transition because of peer pressure (and maybe internalised transphobia too).

Don't be too hard on yourself ok? There is always love and acceptance around and within yourself, but you have to first believe that you are deserving of it.

Take care,
    S
    I am so delighted that you posted this comment.
    Your perspective and your compassion is so constructive.
    I hope everyone reads it twice.

I suffer"ed" from internalized transphobia. It was very destructive to me.

I wonder if internalized "de transition phobia" is a thing??
    I am real

I remember when in the week 8 of HRT, naked my breast was obvious, my wife told me "you won't be able to go to the beach with your kids" (three married men, we barely go to the beach all together). I was scaried. I quit from HRT but just one week was enough to feel that my life would be worse, I resume and never stop again.

Things never resulted as my nightmares predicted..
    My life is actually far better..

I know your purpose in this thread is to show others the effects of de-transition but I agree with Rachel that this kind of post do damage to us.

I think there are some contradictions in your posts and I'd like you can explain because things don't work in that way.

"I just can't show up one day and shock everyone." Do you really think the world turn around you?

" I am not wired for it"

Who is?

"Some people at work would accept the change and others would not."
    So no everybody turns around you.

"That is true for everyone, everywhere. I know that you are all familiar with the challenges.
    I don't have that many of you do is the courage to follow this path under the current circumstances."

It's not about courage but about who we're, I couldn't keep lying to myself and of course to the rest. Many don't see that. A lot of people see on a trans out of the closet an honest person that decide to stop lying to the world.

" I cannot take the spotlight that would come with going from, Robin-all-guy, to Robin-a-woman all in one day. It would be like one day."

I think many will agree with me. That's 100% not true, there's not such, you don't need to do such thing. Things don't need to be done in "one day.

I don't want to be cruel but just face you with other reality you may be didn't see.

I wish you the best but that doesn't go in the road you did chose.

Mho.

Devi San Martin
    Last edited by Devi SM; 04-05-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    I remember when in the week 8 of HRT, naked my breast was obvious, my wife told me "you won't be able to go to the beach with your kids" (three married men, we barely go to the beach all together). I was scaried. I quit from HRT but just one week was enough to feel that my life would be worse, I resume and never stop again.

Things never resulted as my nightmares predicted..
    My life is actually far better..

I know your purpose in this thread is to show others the effects of de-transition but I agree with Rachel that this kind of post do damage to us.

I think there are some contradictions in your posts and I'd like you can explain because things don't work in that way.

"I just can't show up one day and shock everyone." Do you really think the world turn around you?

" I am not wired for it"

Who is?

"Some people at work would accept the change and others would not."
    So no everybody turns around you.

"That is true for everyone, everywhere. I know that you are all familiar with the challenges.
    I don't have that many of you do is the courage to follow this path under the current circumstances."

It's not about courage but about who we're, I couldn't keep lying to myself and of course to the rest. Many don't see that. A lot of people see on a trans out of the closet an honest person that decide to stop lying to the world.

" I cannot take the spotlight that would come with going from, Robin-all-guy, to Robin-a-woman all in one day. It would be like one day."

I think many will agree with me. That's 100% not true, there's not such, you don't need to do such thing. Things don't need to be done in "one day.

I don't want to be cruel but just face you with other reality you may be didn't see.

I wish you the best but that doesn't go in the road you did chose.

Mho.

Devi San Martin
    Devi,

Your post is incredibly cruel and I'm shocked you posted something like this. No, everyone's world does not revolve around me but I'm obviously at the center of me. I am me. I'm also incredibly shy. Getting attention at all is something I avoid. I even managed to skip a couple of my promotions in the Army. I just don't like to be the focus of things. If no one saw me for a year and I showed up with the changes, they would be noticed and gossiped about. I have every right to live my life as I choose without your ridicule.

No, my post was not harmful. People here do sometimes stop transitioning. I've described for them what happened to me when I did. Funny thing is, I'm considering restarting because we will be going back to work soon and they will go along as I change. There is no manual for transition. Everyone does it differently and at different paces. Allow me to live my life please. I described what happened when I stopped HRT. It is what happened. It could be helpful to other women. If this topic isn't interesting to you, don't read it.

Robin

Sarah,

Thank you for your post. I agree that growing up when I did frames the way I approach myself as a transwoman. I did grow up with bigoted parents in a bigoted society. As a teen in the 1970's, I can still recall the terms my father used to describe trans women. I won't repeat them, they don't deserve air. This was when Renee Richards was in the news and I heard it all the time. Of course I knew they were talking about me. I've known I was born in the wrong body since I had a sense of self. While transwomen face physical risks now, then was far worse. I don't know how they had the courage to do it.

The only way to get by then was to deny yourself and learn what was expected of you as your at-birth gender and act like it is all a play, you are not you, you are the character you are playing every day. So, yes, I react to myself with some form of self-loathing. I wish I wasn't trans. I wish I could happily go on with the act. I don't know that I can. While I was transitioning, when I had the smooth skin, my breasts were growing, and the affects mentally and emotionally, that was the best I've ever felt internally.

Thank you again.

Robin

U2