Thread: Insurance says OK, now what?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Insurance says OK, now what?

I was shocked to the point of being without words the other day when I got a call from the doctor's office telling me my insurance has approved Breast Augmentation. I hadn't been thinking about it since it's been about 6 weeks since I went in for the consultation. There was an opportunity to schedule as early as January but I wasn't able to even think clearly at the time. I have a followup with another doctor in a few days concerning FFS and want to see what comes from that before I decide what to do with my winter. My mind has been reeling and my emotions are all over the place these days although I'm starting to settle down and trying to figure out what's real and what's just my fantasy.

I'm thinking since I feel the most dysphoric over my face, that would be my first choice, even though I'm going to have to pay out of pocket. I've made plans for how to pay for that, so it seems I've already made that decision about priorities. How long the doctors and hospitals require before and between surgeries may shift things around, as will the status of the pandemic which is out of control here at this time. There are a lot of moving parts that I realize I can't control so I'm attempting to find the ones I can work on.

I stopped wearing forms months ago, maybe even before I went full time. Should I begin wearing them again to get used to the change in shape and weight. Am I too damn old to get my face worked on and use the money to travel once the pandemic allows that? Should I just wait for the pandemic to be controlled before I do any of these things? I never thought I'd really be making these choices. I never really thought I'd be who I've become, so part of the shift in thinking is sorting the fantasies of a much younger person from the reality of a person who is surprised she managed to get old. I'm continuing to work with my counselor and a couple of close local friends, but I love the input I've always gotten here as well.

My ears are open.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    I believe some surgeons suggest wearing forms to get use to the weight of breasts and also the shape and size .

Quite a decision to make as you know you will have BA paid for but not cosmetic surgery on the face . Before deciding on cosmetic surgery have you been to a good beautician to see what can be done with hair styles and makeup . I also see you wear glasses , the frame style can make a big difference , I'm not sure about contact lenses but that's another option .

As you comment it's decision time , the bottom line being what is your fantasy and what is your reality ?

Age shouldn't be a barrier , at the same time it does raise a big BUT !! I'm a couple of years younger and I'm inclined to think my life now on balance is as good as it gets .
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-21-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Congratulations Sarah. Yes, it can be intimidating getting surgery that is elective versus necessary for some other medical issue. Yes, we are women and yes, some States and insurance companies will approve different surgeries. Since the insurance company approved to pay their part for your BA, why not ask them again about FFS, which is more expensive? Mine was p[artially covered by Medicare, except for the actual facelift part, "Skin Stretching" per one of the codes.

As to age, I had my BA last year and my FFS in January this year just before my 73rd birthday. All was good and I recovered really quickly because no nose work and my bone work was grinding only. So, in my opinion, if your health can tolerate it and you want it, GO FOR IT! The BA is great, no more forms and I see them twice a day everyday, morning and night, plus their effect on my appearance.

Celebrate!!!

Allie

Sarah, so many good things. Congrats! Definitely advise forms until your BA.

If you had to choose between the two (FFS vs. BA) which do you prefer, or more appropriately, which will better contribute to your feminization/passability? I find it foolish that they will pay for one procedure but not the other.

Do you already have some natural growth from mones, and what is your estimated potential for estradiol ralated breast growth? That is also a point to consider going forward.

Lastly, if you keep getting get hung up on the age # issue ask yourself this question... "How old will I be in 5 years if I do not get this done, and will I then pinch myself for not going forward?" Let the answer to that question help guide your decision making process.
    Last edited by MarieTS; 11-23-2020 at 05:18 AM.
    Marie

Hey Sarah,

You seem to have a clear path ahead of you, If you choose to proceed. You are very fortunate. Many people have the need for surgery but not the way or means for it.

I am not one to discuss my personal medical information but it is important for those moving toward surgery to consider the real experiences of others to help guide them. Here is mine.

After 17 years of HRT there was not a breast form made that I could wear comfortably so I had not worn them for many years before my BA, 550 cc implants, and it was not an issue.

I chose the sub muscular method of implantation because, it looks more natural, prevents the beachball look, will look better longer, lessens the risk of capsular contracture and it makes mammograms easier.

Supposedly the sub muscular method is more painful but it was not bad in my case. It does require a longer recovery but it was worth it to me. It takes up to a year for most BAs to achieve their final look anyway. I can attest to that.

I had FFS at the same time so I was under general anesthesia. Four surgeons did eight facial procedures as well as the augmentation. I was under the general anesthesia for ten hours. Five days later I went shopping with my sister. The facial surgery heals much quicker, it seems to me, than the BA.

It is my observation that facial surgery will not make you look like someone else, only a more feminine version of yourself. This has been the case for quite a few trans women that I know personally. It is important to have realistic expectations.

I hope this helps Sarah.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    It is my observation that facial surgery will not make you look like someone else, only a more feminine version of yourself. This has been the case for quite a few trans women that I know personally. It is important to have realistic expectations.
    Good info here for me, thank you Jeri Ann. Every time when I think about FFS, I am getting concerned with "what if" scenario, where changes from FFS are so dramatic, it makes you look like a different person, where the partner would say - this person is like a stranger to me....

Sarah,

I meant to add that I was 67 when I had theses procedures, almost four years ago. I know of a transwoman who had her surgery at age 80. If it is right for you, and general health is not an issue, then age shouldn't be either.

Sarah, note Jeri Ann's age points. I think it dovetails with my point. If it is right for you -- what you need -- and you are healthy enough, then age is no longer an issue. I also concur with the way she framed ffs. My interpretation is that it softens your features.
    Marie

Sarah, I am happy to share my experience.

I have done all three surgeries; FFS, GRS, and BA starting at 71 years old! For me the order was important. FFS can be, and it was for me, a total change in life in that it ended once and for all any misgendering. Also it took about 20 years off my appearance, which seems to be common for us older transitioning women. I now move through life with the confidence that I am outwardly the not so old, attractive woman that I feel like inside! GRS was for me to be whole. I just had my BA five months ago, until then after almost three years of HRT with the help of push-up pads I could get reasonable breasts. I did not want to depend on the pads. I had 275cc on the left and 325cc on the right to even me up. Under the muscle, and it was by far the easiest recovery of the three.