Thread: Fun in the OpShop

Fun in the OpShop

Since retiring, I have been volunteering to work once a week in our church's charity store (relax mods!).
    On Saturday this bloke walked in and spent about 20 minutes browsing the racks of womens' clothing. He selected six or seven items before disappearing into our only change room to try them on. He was in there for some time!
    I was not the only person who had been watching him. Another customer waited patiently for her turn in the change room while he was in there.
    Eventually he emerged and the lady took his place in the change room.
    He replaced some items, then came to the till, where he asked me to set aside three tops he had decided to buy. I was happy to oblige.
    He resumed his browsing and returned to the till with several skirts, at least one of which was quite colourful. Unfortunately, it was a busy period in the shop and I had no chance to engage with him when ringing up all the items he had chosen. I was hoping to chat.
    He was among accepting kindred souls, not just me but also the other customers.
    I am not sure if he is a member of this forum, but if he is, an invitation to call again next Saturday morning, when I will be doing my next shift.

Hi,
    And the (rough)Location is........
    Liz

Banned Read only
    Gale,
    I've mostly had good responses from charity shops both from customers and staff . I do recall one incident where I asked two ladies where the women's jackets were , one replied in a loud voice , " The male section is over there !" I repeated my question and she repeated her answer .

It reached a point where I felt very uncomfortable shopping in male mode so I stopped but that was before I went full time , now I dodn't have any problems at all .

Reality Check
    I surprises me that your shop allows customers to try things on and then put them back on the rack with this Covid pandemic going on. I would be uncomfortable with that myself.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I asked two ladies where the women's jackets were , one replied in a loud voice , " The male section is over there !" I repeated my question and she repeated her answer .
    You could have responded that your wife was an invalid and you were shopping for her. That should have shut her up.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    Krisi,
    All our charity shops have closed their changing areas but they are offering refunds if something isn't right aftyer it's been tried at home

I stood my ground with the lady , in fact I pulled a jacket from the rack and held it up against myself and asked if she liked it ? They both muttered something and left the shop . I bought the jacket , it was a lovely Next fitted on in slate grey .

I thought this was going to be a bit of a rant about how long he was clogging up the changing room! (I have a beef with people who do that) If he comes back, Gale, what would you chat about?

Teresa, No matter where we live there will unfortunately be rude people. I think you handle things very well.
    Crissy

I live in a covid-free country. No issues with people trying on clothing. Life is almost normal, apart from the lack of overseas travel.
    What would I have chatted about? I don't know, probably about the tops he chose as an ice-breaker.
    I just would have liked to let him know that I am a friend ... but perhaps he was able to figure that out.

Gale, Lucky you, living in a country that is Covid free. Not too many of them.
    Crissy

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I surprises me that your shop allows customers to try things on and then put them back on the rack with this Covid pandemic going on. I would be uncomfortable with that myself.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

You could have responded that your wife was an invalid and you were shopping for her. That should have shut her up.
    Is the risk greater trying things on then just looking through them? This is one of the things that makes no sense to me. Himdreds of people can touch things and all that but God forbid someone try on a jacket. Put thats my point of view.

I wonder if folks consider this when they buy on-line, I suspect some items are returned from Amazon or Walmart on-line and repackaged, and sold as new. Suzih

Hi GaleWarning. I also live in a (relatively) covid free country with a variety of op-shops. Apart from the big SaveMart I am known to the volunteers and they know when I am buying for myself.
    I carry a list of my measurements and a tape measure and sort out the things I would like. The prices are so low I don't bother trying on in the stores and if I happen to make a mistake I just take the garment back and donate it.
    My experience has always been favourable, never a rude comment, and the volunteers are all great..

Here the charity shops are few and far between, so I don't have much much of a chance findind anything, instead there are a couple of other shops O go to which have good quality clothes at close to charity shop prices. Its been a while since I bought anything having got, for now, what I need. The nice thing is my daughter has started to buy me things, the last was a lovely black pleated maxi skirt.
    In the actual shops i have had no problem with trying things on because I am never in drab.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Read only
    Bobbi,
    I found the charity shops in Alicante were mostly set up and run by Brits , is that the same situation in your part of France ?

I regard Aotearoa as a Covid-free country KP. The only cases are imported, and are in managed isolation. We are fortunate.
    I am a little north of the harbour bridge.

Reality Check
    I seldom go to charity shops any more. Ross has nice dresses for $10-$20 and if they don't fit when I get them home I can return them.
    Krisi

I like to dress androgynously, ok, call it the "Iowa Farmwife" look. Several years ago I was stopped at a garage sale and found a pair of women's overalls from JC Penney's in my size. I went to pay for them and the woman said "those are for women" I said I didn't care, I would going to use them to paint it. She insisted they were for women. but she sold them to me. another time I bought a pair of red adonna nylon pajamas at a garage sale for $5. I was looking at them and the woman said go ahead, you'll look good in them we both laughend and I bought them! LOL

I don't know Gale, the only supposedly covid free country I know of is east if me and full of kiwis.

Aside from that yes it would be very tempting to have some interaction with him. The trouble is it usually frightens them off.

I sometimes ask a suspect if they know Beverley Sims.

I have had a couple of positive reactions, makes for an interesting life.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi,
    I have asked a couple of times regarding talking to to someone i have "read" only response i got was ---dont!
    yes it would be nice (i think) to talk but on looking at sites in U/K they seem to be for ""hook ups ect"......
    Liz

The only reaction I've ever gotten was from an associate in a charity shop who pointed out that "the men's shoes are over there." I thanked her, and continued browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Jones View Post
    Hi,
    I have asked a couple of times regarding talking to to someone i have "read" only response i got was ---dont!
    yes it would be nice (i think) to talk but on looking at sites in U/K they seem to be for ""hook ups ect"......
    Liz
    Liz, the gent was in drab.
    BTW - he did not visit again last Saturday, so I am guessing he is not on this site.
    Another fellow came in this week and grabbed a dress off a mannekin in the window.
    He did not try it on, merely paid for it and left.
    As it is Christmas season, I wore a blue wig all through my shift. Many customers commented favourably on it!

I found a couple of women's pant suits at a charity shop that I thought would fit, I was shopping in male mode. When I went to checkout, she charged me $15 each. At that time, I was confident to stand my ground. I told her that the price on the rack was $10. Wel, we had a discussion, and I showed her the price on the rack. She sold them to me for $10. She apologized to me. She said she thought that they were mens suits, which were $15, not women's suits, which were $10.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.