Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only Dressing to go Out?

Only Dressing to go Out?

I've heard a few people mention that they only dress to go out. Why is that? I'm just curious. For me, even lounging around I'd prefer to be Gwen.

I mostly dress to go out, I think ive taken all the efford with makeup etc, why just sit in ?, and the feel of being out dressed, being able to walk into shops try cloths on, brows in all the different shops, also getting dressed to go out during the day is totally different than dressing to go to the pub, shorter dresses and bigger heels at night, lol. its a fantasic experience, so sitting in dressed is boring to me, but evryone will be different.

Banned Read only
    Gwen,
    I feel this question relates to your level of dysphoria , appearing in male mode just became more painful for me so I now have the daily routine of a total body shave , apply my makeup and dress usually in jeans and a blouse , pop my wig on and walk with other dog walkers , the rest of the day I get on with normal housework and shopping needs .

If you only have female clothes to wear or should I say normal clothes to wear there isn't a question of choices .

Gwen, for me, "dressing to go out" implies a more bendable appearance when in public. Like not dressing like a hooker or little bo peep to go to the supermarket or something.
    Not dressing just when I get the chance to go out. I dress anytime I want. To any degree I want. It depends on my mood and situation, I guess. At home, anything goes. But I do have a certain style I like, and I think suits my personality and body type.

Gwen,

It can take me up to two hours to get ready if I put on everything from false eyelashes to nail polish, so I will not bother with the works unless I am going out.

While shopping is fun, clubbing is what I mostly like to dress up for. Social interaction while dressed is a huge motivation for me. Unfortunately I have not been out clubbing in a very long time because of covid. I just hope my favorite clubs survive the economic downfall.

Sandi

My hubby is similar to Sandi. He takes a great deal of time getting ready and likes interaction when he goes out. His activities are typically shopping, lunching, volunteer work, and playing pool. When he's home, he usually works on projects, inside and outside. Apparently he doesn't have dysphoria to the point where he feels the need to lounge around the house in a dress.

Banned Read only
    Char,
    I have to smile at the suggestion of lounging around , what about the cooking , cleaning , laundry , shopping , gardening , walking the dog ,washing the car ,household accounts and all the DIY jobs . OK I confess slipping on a sundress and relaxing in the sunshine with my glass of wine , well a girl's got to have some time to herself !!!

I rarely ever do the full routine. It is mostly a little of this or that. Enough to be Gretchen. The fact is, most women these days don't expend much effort to be beautiful if they are staying home. Some don't even do that if they are going to the store. But there are some that still insist on looking almost their very best even when going to the store. No rules either way. For most getting dressed is a very personal thing and making a social impact is not very important. In my experience, most of us are the same way, but sometimes some just like to go all the way like Cinderella going to the Ball. That's OK, too. But in some environments it turns you into a spectacle. If that is your thing, fine, but most want to just be seen as just another woman. "Blend," is the word.

It depends. I do go out fully dressed. Most of the time I’m in leggings and a feminine or gender neutral shirt. Since coming to terms with my transsexual orientation I am clearly on the female spectrum most of the time in both dressing and mannerisms.

Teresa,

Nope, my hubby has no interest in dressing like a woman for any of the activities that you described. He ONLY dresses to do the activities that I described.

Pretty much the only time I get dressed up is when I am staying home.
    Very rarely get dressed to actually go out
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Gold Member
    I dress at home all the time. And since I would never pass, I only under dress when I go out.
    Rader

Banned Read only
    Char,
    Thanks for making me smile with your reply , I love it !!

Gwen, I spent about two hours this morning getting dressed: shower, shave, makeup, etc. I think that I look very put together, so sitting around the apartment isn't working for me any longer. I've been taking bigger and bigger steps to get out. This afternoon I went to a Starbucks and then JCPenny. The Starbucks was a drive-thru and I didn't go in. I sat in my car a few minutes and wondered about going in to JCPenny. I realized that I spent all that time getting ready, so why the heck not? It was great!
    "It is so easy to exist, instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking."
    --Anna Quindlen, writer, journalist, columnist

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Does it matter how you look if there is no mirror? For all the effort we put in to look good, it's nice to get some affirmation through compliments. Part of me likes the attention I get going out. I enjoy interacting and conversing with others. (Both are lost during covid) If I'm home and no one sees me there is none of that. no reason for the effort. I guess you could say the clothes don't speak to me. Lol

My two adults sons live at home with me and my wife and they do not know about Dawn,so I don't dress at home. Now that I am having chemo therapy for stage 4 cancer the desire to dress is not there.

I think the only dress to go out are going to be those who go the whole nine every time. I have always preferred skirts or dresses at home but won't do the male up hair and all that to just stay home. I have truly gotten to where that happens less and less going out. Also I have gotten rid of most of my hooked skirts, and won't ever bother with heels staying home now either. Yes I said most, have to keep a couple for play time if it ever happens avain.

Happy being Stevie Stevie Allyn's Avatar
    I'm very much an only at home girl currently and to be honest I haven't worn a wig or makeup in months and months. However I wear femme clothing almost 24/7 now as going out at all is rare these days.

My usual routine is to wear skinny leg jeans with a not too colourful femme top from the morning, until I have done the days chores and walked the dogs. Then once home I'll shower and switch to skirt and top or a dress, always with a bra though breast forms only when I'm feeling particularly girly. Today was a girly day, with forms and a maxi dress.

Actually, today is a girly day as I sit here in my dress watching the football (soccer) highlights.

I work from home right now and dress every day. Makeup is just a couple times a week. I do not go out dressed but I will take a drive at night in the winter months.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My days of being thrilled just throwing on nylons and forms to hang out in r long gone! If I missed those days, I'd still be doing that.

Now, it's all or nothing for me.

That means either I prep for a shoot or to go out, period.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Happy being Stevie Stevie Allyn's Avatar
    Hey doc,

Obviously I respect your perspective here on this, but would you agree that it's rather wonderful that each of us has a different level of dressing that satisfies that need?

[Personally I have a growing need to go out fully en femme but my wife isn't comfortable with that at the moment]

Platinum Member
    Perhaps it is the aging process, but I do not miss the makeup and nail polish. In my younger days I did the entire routine; full facial makeup, false eye lashes, fake nails and polish, and a spray of perfume (when my wife was out of town). I wore a blond wig. Now? It's a shoulder length gray wig to compliment my remaining natural hair. I notice many women forego the entire deal if they are just out and about running errands. Even when my wife was still working she only applies lip color. Even at age 69 she needs nothing to make her face sparkle. Beautiful blue eyes and great smile and clear smooth skin non smokers seem to have. I don't think she owns a bottle of nail polish. My comfort zone is domestic chores and puttering around the house fully dressed; heels and hosiery, dress, all the proper undergarments and my grey wig. If I do apply any makeup at home it is lip color so I can see the lipstick on the rim of my coffee cup. When I do get the opportunity to take an evening drive and stroll I do apply lipstick and some makeup to conceal some signs of aging and scarring on my face. Maybe, if I was five foot six I could fly under the radar. At six foot and 200 pounds I ain't flying under the radar.

Like Gwen I do like lounging around in a bra, panty and slip with one of my wigs on. Or a floor length nightgown.

I'll make sure my nail polish looks good when I go shopping. I've gone from a pale pink to more obvious colors like metallic red.

I'll also make shampoo and condition my hair the night before. The longest hairs are reaching the middle of my back.

Marion
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 12-06-2020 at 08:49 PM.

For me, when I'm at work, it's strictly guy mode (well, I do wear panties). When I get home, it's get cleaned up and go into mostly girl mode. Ponytail is undone, hip pads and shapewear are slipped on, followed by some leggings and a top. Pick out a pair of earrings and put them on. If I have to run an errand, my mood will dictate if a bra and forms get put on. If they do, well then need some light makeup, a quick hair curl, load up the purse and out the door. I go for just trying to blend.
    Weekends the nail polish comes out as well as a full body shave.

My wife knows about Steffi, but I don't think she even knows that I have a girl name. She's unhappy that I dress at all, and it takes me too long to dress to have to do an instant re-transformation.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.