Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordeal over and no harm done .

Banned Read only

Ordeal over and no harm done .

This story goes back to being caught speeding , I was taking my daughter shopping to an out of town store and forgot about temporary speed restrictions through a roadworks .

In the UK we have three options depending on the percentage over the legal limit , we can pay a fine ( ?100.00) and have three penalty points on your driving license or take a speed awareness course (?90.00) or finally plead your case in court , I opted to take the course . Normally they are held in a classroom or a hotel conference room but with the lockdown restrictions they are done online using Microsoft Teams . The next problem I faced was choosing to sit the course as Teresa . The requirement at the start of the course is to show evidence that you were the driver at the stated address which is usually proved by showing a drivers license or a current passport . I telephoned them explaining I was TG and my appearance wouldn't match those documents so they agreed to prove my identity though a current household bill . The receptionist did thank me for letting them know as they hadn't dealt with this situation before .

Today I finally joined the course after two aborted attempts through technical problems , it was the first time I've been on an open conference call and it went very well , I could see and hear all the other participants and obviously they could see and hear me . It was very informative , I have to admit after years behind the wheel it's surprisng the things you forget , the guy running it also had some fun with us .

At the end it was so good to have this ordeal behind me , I had a confirmation Email from the County Police Force confirming I had successfully attended the course and no further action would be taken

Sorry it's a longish story , again it's to show being TG isn't a problem , I admit I had been told twice to take the course in male mode , I personally feel doing it as Teresa was the right thing to do , not just for me but the whole TG community .
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-10-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Aspiring Member
    A good story and affirming. These little challenges to your new life and acceptance knows no bounds. Well done.
    Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

Happy being Stevie Stevie Allyn's Avatar
    Congratulations and well done Teresa.

Nice to hear that our UK bureacracy is moving in the right and correct, inclusive direction.

Thanks for sharing, and nicely done avoiding the 3 points ;-)

Teresa,

I think you handled that well. Ringing ahead saved any awkward moments at the start and I'm sure helped the organisers by raising their awareness.

Quick question; do you have to declare it next time you apply for insurance?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

You are right, Job well done Teresa.
    The more people interact with us in a normal setting
    The better off everything will be.

I had an issue at the customs border between US and Canada one time.
    I just told them the story and all was fine.

Thanks for sharing your story
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Banned Read only
    Jenny,
    I have been a bit naughty in the past so I know what it means to have twelve points , living alone it's something I must try and avoid now but I admit the roadworks caught me out . As for bureaucracy nothing official will happen unless we make it happen !

Helen,
    I knew if I was going to take the course as Teresa I would have to check what procedure was in place , the one thing they didn't tell me was any documents used instead of photo ID had to be not less than 6 months old , he let that one go . I will to have a serious think about changes to my ID next year .

Informing the insurance company isn't necessary according to the instructor on the Drivetech course and he should know as it's part of the AA .

Also an interesting point he raised was that in two years time all new cars in the Euro zone will have automatic speed controllers fitted , they may also have a kickdown feature but if you have an accident while using it the insurance company may walk away .

Rachel ,
    You're welcome
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-10-2020 at 07:41 PM.

This is just a great story with a wonderful ending. In all kinds of ways we twist ourselves up bc of assumptions we make of others assumptions of us.

Well played, madam
    The world is falling apart and ppl are like "EHRMYGAWD is that a man with fingernail polish on?"

High time to change the pic and info on your license !
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Teresa As always your handled fantastic, I'm a little shocked "The receptionist did thank me for letting them know as they hadn't dealt with this situation before ." I would think in these times it would have come up by now.

Banned Read only
    Connie,
    I was a little surprised too with her comment , I also received a similar one from the instructor on the course again thanking me for making the sitaution clear so they know how to deal with the same situation in the future .

As a P.S.
    I received another Email this morning from DriveTech thanking Ms Terri ****** for taking the course .It also makde it clear I'm not legally obliged to tell my insurance company I had attended the course because the Police had taken no further action .

Congratulations on once again affirming who you are. I wish I were in a similar position.

Banned Read only
    Angela,
    I hope I've made it easier for you when you finally get more freedom to be you .

Teresa, this is a wonderful, positive thread with lots of helpful hints for the rest of us. You handled it really well and their responsiveness shows there is respect for you and who you are. I agree it is time to get a new ID and become Teresa more officially. I really don't think you are prone to falling back to your previous identity. You have joined womanhood and fit there very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Angela,
    I hope I've made it easier for you when you finally get more freedom to be you .
    Teresa. Yes you have made it easier. As I become more comfortable in my feminine persona posts such as yours are a great encouragement.

You are right it isn't a problem. Can you get new IDs?

When my license needed to be renewed a few years ago, I was dressed . It's only a head shot but I'm in full make-up.

You are Teresa, I totally understand. It is your identity, who you are, to be other than that brings pain.

On a funny note, with fewer people on the freeway, they are driving way to fast. There is one of these electronic billboards the state has, yesterday it said " you are not driving a sleigh so stop flying".

Happy holidays love Jean

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    It's nice to get those pesky issues resolved. I too find it interesting that you were the first TG encounter for the receptionist.
    Evidently, only a very few of us are Menacing Speed Demons!

(I had to say that because a female judge used those exact words to lambaste me in traffic court. I remember just fantasising about her wearing nothing but sexy lingerie under her robe.)

I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I personally feel doing it as Teresa was the right thing to do , not just for me but the whole TG community .
    Teresa the trail blazer! Thank you for leading and making a difference.

Rachel

Aspiring Member
    Teresa,

Thank you for sharing your experience and avoiding the penalty points. I don't believe the options you have are available where i live (US - PA).

I agree with with this...'being TG isn't a problem'.

Best wishes and safe driving.

Banned Read only
    DMichele,
    It's sometimes debatable whether it's done for safety reasons or just to fund raise .

I admit the course did make me more aware of the risks of speeding but after the course I had to pop into town , it's then far more apparent how many idiots there are on the roads , so few really care about other road users and some pedestrians just like dicing with danger .

Rachel,
    Thanks for that , I'm in a position to do it so I do !
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-13-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Teresa, i once did the course and came away from it feeling that most of it was good stuff and it made a lot of sense, and im glad i did it.
    However, i do feel as if it is more of a cash cow than a safety issue, due to the places they put cameras in.
    One place near us has a camera as a result of a road death, that actually turned out to be a pedestrian suicide. Nothing to do with speeding.

Banned Read only
    Kym,
    Recently I was returning home after a shopping trip , I followed an electric car through my town doing 15mph because he was trying to conserve his battery , so the obvious solution is everyone buy an electric car , you can't speed because you're so paranoid about a flat battery . I can see the man with the red flag being reintroduced !

My biggest gripe is they appear to want to catch you out , I pointed out on a previous course that many foreign drivers do not know some of our outdated laws that designates a speed limit . They keep coplaining about the plastic mountain , why can't they use it to make more speed inicators marked in MPH and KPH ? If you have a constant reminder rather than the guessing game we sometimes have to use I'm sure it would reduce most speeding problems .

I was caught speeding through roadworks , the temporary speed sign was hidden by a construction vehicle .
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-15-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Teresa,
    We have a car with all the "bells&whisles (yep --even has a T.V.! ) but the sat nav tells me the speed limit--sometimes the (old) speed limit so not always safe to trust that ether !
    Liz

Some speed limit areas don't conform to the Highway Code either, there is a hamlet (12 houses) near me that has a 30 limit, there are no street lights and a repeater sign halfway along the stretch, I often wonder who lives there to get that past the county planners. The HC states street light spacing and no repeaters for a 30 limit area
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Banned Read only
    Liz,
    I admit I have been on a course before , on both I've attended there were more women than men !

There were two guys on the course who had been caught speeding where there was a zero tolerance limit , one was clocked at 31 mph in a 30 mph limit and the other 33 . It does beg the question as you say what can you trust to give you an accurate reading , my Volvo appears to be 2-3mph over indicated .