Thread: A Chat With My Primary Care Physician

A Chat With My Primary Care Physician

Had my quarterly visit (telemedicine, of course) with my PCP today. This was the first since I started HRT, so it was time to let her know about the new medication on my list. Now, my doc is... let's call it conspicuously religious. Around these parts, that's a fair indicator of the possibility of an intolerant view. Yes, that's a generalization, but observation bears this out. Anyway, I have no issue with how others believe, and don't really worry about what their beliefs tell them to think of me. On the other hand, my wife and I really like this doctor and would not care to have to find a new one.

[TLDR] When I told her that I was being treated for gender dysphoria, she was so sweet - asked how it was going, about dosage, where I was headed, etc. All the right questions from a concerned caregiver. Wanted me to know that she was just a phone call away if I needed anything. I could not have asked for a more positive and affirming response. Some days, the light just shines.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Aspiring Member
    People, including some on here, told me I would be surprised that some of the folks I thought would be the most supportive would end up being the least, and vice versa. Experience has born that out. I’m glad you had a positive experience with a very important relationship.

Kelly,

My PCP has been like yours. I love him and, interestingly, also my time with him, even when sick. He doesn't know much about trans people, I am his first, but he cares, and ordered my first mammogram and was concerned about my sexual health too. If he knew how to manage my trans health, I would switch that to him too. These kind of PCP's are a nice find for us. They care about our health and not about what we are.

Allie

Thanks for sharing that, Aunt Kelly! My PCP has a hard time believing some doctors will not see trans patients! He is very supportive! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    Awesome!
    My PCP showed me on my last appointment how to do the self breast exam. It was so affirming. She was so careful to check if I will be comfortable to get a breast exam. She did mention that I am much more comfortable than many. Left me wondering why others are uncomfortable. It is very affirming to be treated as any other women would.

Wow! That is really awesome!
    Not sure what I’m going to do in that regard.

A few years ago I had a doctor (a D.O. specifically) who I loved. She was the best doctor I’ve ever had. This was back in 2017 when I started to delve deeper into questioning my gender. Something that I noticed was she had a line on her form for “genderl that was separate of “sex” . I think she may have had: man, woman, nonbinary, and then a blank line but I can’t remember.

Anyway, she moved away in 2018 and the doc I’ve had since... I’ve just never really clicked with.

HOWEVER!... I found out my old doc has moved back to town. Her office is way on the other side of Houston. And although she is doing telemedicine visits for now, I don’t relish the idea of traveling that far after the covid goes away.

Enough about me though... congrats on such a great visit. That’s really awesome.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It's always good to hear about support from people once thought to be questionable sources of positive feelings. I've found every medical professional I've seen has been just that, professional and aware of the need to figure in the impacts of hormones and my longer term transition goals with the specific type of care they provide.

I saw my dermatologist last week for the first time since I've been full time and she wasn't just supportive but for a very brief moment she was close to giddy over the fact I've finally made the long anticipated move. I was pretty happy the rest of the day, just from that response.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I'm finally me; I'm free. LisaMarieDayton's Avatar
    I also had a pleasant experience with my PCP. She has been very supportive and understanding of my transition.

I am required to get DOT physicals and am extremely nervous about getting recertified next summer. Even though my sex has been changed on legal forms I have hit a snag in getting my name legally changed and must wait until May before I even apply; it can take 2-3 months for it to be final. Not only will I still have a male name when checking in, the DOT doctors are going to know that I am transitioning (I have to disclose my medication usage and also I will be Lisa). They are extremely strict and I fear they may use their biases against me to find a reason to fail me.