Thread: Masking...

Masking...

Haven't dressed up in years! I have the opportunity to dress up this weekend. So excited! But, I'm starting from scratch, and first have to buy everything I'll need. You know the list is long!

Anyway, I found out that shopping in drab is a piece of cake when you can wear a mask. I always hated shopping drab, and wouldn't do it unless I had too, like right now. So the mask is kind of nice for that.

But, what about wearing a mask while I'm dressed? I have no idea what to expect. I've been out in public many, many times with no issue in years past. So just getting out there is no problem.

Any advice, experiences, or suggestions about going out dressed up with a mask for the first time?

Tricia

Update with my pretty mask. Makes me feel passable!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tricia Lee; 12-21-2020 at 12:10 AM.

I hear ya! I like dangle earrings , and they play hell with the elastic straps!

Banned Read only
    Tricia,
    I must admit I put off wearing a mask as long as I could but it's for the sake of everyone . On the down side I've had to stop wearing my hearing aids as they get caught in the elastic straps , the first time they flew across the room . I've also given up on earrings , it's still bad enough when I try and wear my glasses , no matter what people advise I can't stop them getting steamed up . Shopping now has a whole different meaning , I'm in my own little World not being able to hear as well and seeing everything through rose tinted glasses .

I have been out a few times with a mask. The cold weather and the depressing nature of shopping, i.e. very small crowds, have limited my enjoyment. Nonetheless I did not find much of an issue with masks. Very small makeup smudges when I took it off. The only difficult part was putting it on with a wig. Sometimes the wig loosened a bit. I really envy you girls who have long natural hair.

Aspiring Member
    A good mask works great as shadow cover. Makeup serves as an indicator of how dirty a mask really is. Earrings...ouch, if pierced; dang! Lost another one!, if not pierced. Most GGs have the hair thing figured out. Observe and learn.

Now that I caught THE VIRUS, I will not be going anywhere until the local THE VIRUS jailers release me. How did I catch it? My day job and my volunteer work is with many children, everyone fully masked, all diligently hand washed. Distancing works, but how can I distance from a child who needs help?

Any impact on passability?

It seems like an upside is that a strong chin or jawline will be covered.

I also foresee a potential upside to be, as mentioned, not having to worry about beard cover so much. I have the beard thing figured out pretty well, but it's still probably better to just cover it with the mask.

Tricia

Aspiring Member
    I definitely find it easier to pass with a mask. I was not once mis-gendered in several outings. Plus it alleviates a whole ton of problems with makeup, you simply don't need any. Caveat I do work on my eyebrows and use some brow liner when masked. I mostly dress casual when I go out but clearly presenting as a woman.

Without a mask, it's hit-and-miss. Being correctly gendered is terrifically validating but being mis-gendered is a real downer. With a mask it's much easier unless you're built like a linebacker. I'm not.

I'd say it's a great way to build confidence in going out.

If you’re still going to wear lipstick, get yourself an indelible one. There is always going to be some transfer of foundation to the mask as well, keep that in mind if you’re removing it in public as you may need a touch up with a bit of powder.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've been wearing masks dressed out in public for about 10 years. They really aren't accepted yet in the States! Except around Halloween!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Tricia,
    As we're all in the same boat it has no impact on passing . I usually slip my mask off when I'm walking to my car , I've often said to women , " I'm glad to get that off " . The usually give me a smile and nod in agreement .

Abby,
    I had to smile at that the women I've seen appear to have given up on both makeup and their hair .
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-18-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Make sure the mask is a cute one! You will get complements on it if it is. Masks just add another layer of confidence because if done right, it does bury many of our natural tells. Welcome back!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandi Robbins View Post
    Make sure the mask is a cute one!
    Would you really expect anything less?!?

Thanks Kandi, by the way I'll probably be back in the Canton area sooner rather than later. Maybe we can get together again.

Thank you for wearing a mask. Those of us who are vulnerable appreciate it. There are a lot of pretty ones out there. Have fun and be crafty!

Got tired of the mask straps around the ears as it kept catching on my hearing aids and ear rings too, so I ran about a 6 inch piece of 1/4 elastic between them and tied it off on each of the ear straps (if this makes sense). Now it?s just a single band that goes around the back of my head. Not the perfect answer, but sooo much better than what I was doing before, and works well for me. -Meg

I'm getting used to it. And, this is as close to passing as I've ever felt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    My wife has made hundreds of masks for friends, family and veterans' groups. Special order masks for kids' favorite cartoon and super heroes. Floral patterns. All branches of service. Dog breeds. Choosing a mask to match your outfit may be the thing of the future. I have heard complaints about hearing aids. Not so much about earrings as most women I know forego earrings when going to the store. The masks my wife and others make do not loop around the ears. The bands go around the head. Lipstick is a different issue, although I do not know why a woman has not figured out if you're going to work and need lipstick, apply it after arriving at work.

I had one made with my Initial on it IMG_0458.jpg