Thread: Unicorns, is this a thing?

Unicorns, is this a thing?

Someone on this site has used this term in reference to us a couple of times.

This got me thinking about how true this might be. I know in my own experience as I've gone out in public there does seem to be an aspect to the experience that we are like Unicorns. We are quite rare (at least to be seen in public). There seems to be some public awareness that we do exist but very few people have the privilege of interacting with us. To the masses we are almost legendary, talked about occasionally but seldom encountered.

I've been to public events where GGs would interact with me with genuine and sincere interest in who I am and what I do as a cross dresser. What my life and experience is like. I've sat at a table in a public function where a GG would slide over a chair in order to chat with me. I've volunteered at Pride events and worked alongside GGs where we would openly talk about what it's like to be a cross dresser. I've sat with a group of GGs in a bar talking about cross dressing. Conversations would be around makeup, wigs, clothes, etc. Interactions with SAs have always been interesting and pleasant when I strike up a conversation with the GGs. These events are great when they happen and I do feel a little special when they do.

How about the rest of you. Do you feel a little special at times as you interact with the world? Do you feel like a Unicorn at times?
    Last edited by sweetdreams; 12-20-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    Why fit in when you were born to stand out? - Dr. Suess

Banned Read only
    Yes and no... It depends on where you are.

Walk into a " bar" you are a Unicorn that will probably be hunted for sport

Walk into an LGBTQ friendly bar and you are just another customer.

Frankly, I don't want to be a Unicorn.
    Last edited by char GG; 12-20-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Term considered derogatory.

I know what you mean and it is GG's that engage more spontaneously. I sometimes think it is because they're just that bit curious about us and I'd like to think it's also partly down to being intrigued as to how we look so good!

Males engage less so, they don't want to appear to "chatting up" a CD'er who as everyone knows are all Gay, right? We are to some men, seen as a threat and if seen talking to us will be tarred with the same brush.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I actually WAS a unicorn once, Sweet. And, have often felt like I looked like this when stared or grimaced at by vanilla American men!

Like u, I've had much better luck with vanilla women when out!

33P1450255 (640x530).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've been under the assumption that the term "unicorn" was an accepting and participating spouse, girlfriend, or wife.
    "Samm" Sammara Michaels

I also speak fluent sarcasm

Doc, you just have too much fun with this.....
    Why fit in when you were born to stand out? - Dr. Suess

You're such a freak Doc, I love it.
    Be the best you, be the true you.
    That said, I love faceapp so much I change my avatar daily

https://giphy.com/gifs/l0MYEWpv7Ue0RFVaE/html5

Platinum Member
    "We are quite rare..........." So is Bigfoot! At six foot and 200 pounds with obvious male features I am more like a draft horse than a unicorn. I have heard some women fillet a cross dresser just as vicious as a (insert).
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 12-21-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

We're not exactly rare. Estimates are one in 40 males crossdresses on a regular basis.
    The 'rare' thing, might just be how often we are seen out in the general public, as we're usually pretty easy to spot when we go out, despite all of those who think that they can pass (perhaps 1 in 100 of us, can actually pass).
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Some people are overly curious and extroverted. Those are the ones who will approach you and treat you like a unicorn. Most people are too consumed with their own lives to care or acknowledge you beyond a quick glance or maybe a smile or frown (depending on their degree of open mindedness). I go out often and have only twice interacted with people who approached me as if I was some kind of unicorn. Most just ma'am me or avoid me, and carry on.

We are not that unique as to be Unicorns.
    I'm sure there are far more of us out there than we notice. Most of the time we are too busy trying not to be Unicorns that we don't notice the rest of the herd.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Doc. HAHAHAHAHAAHA!!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

At six foot six in bare feet, i amd more like BigFoot!! Have not gone out in three years or so/ Not too eager to now. Guys mostly are a bit turned off and feel insecure around a CD. And if some are initially attracted and turned on, they can become very angry and offended,when they see they were tricked.

Ah-May-Lee
    Nope, I'm not a unicorn. I'm more like a Vampire, people seem to avoid me as much as possible. Nobody wants to hear my story.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Most people are too consumed with their own lives to care or acknowledge you beyond a quick glance or maybe a smile or frown...so true.
    I do enjoy the days when I get chatted up with girls when I am out and about.
    Most of these women would not give me the time of day when presenting as a male.
    But get me in makeup, a wig and a pretty outfit and they want to chat me up.
    Of all the women who were curious, my most interesting encounter had to be with television personalities.
    I met 2 mothers from TLC's "Cheer Perfection, Andrea Clevenger and Ann Robinson at Foxes bar in A local hotel atrium.
    It was exciting to see these girl chat up me and my friends.

They seemed nice....mostly I get chatted up when ordering a drink while sitting at a bar or by ladies who stop in my local Transformation shop while I am shopping for a wig or clothes.
    It is "ALWAYS" a fun experience!
    Last edited by char GG; 12-21-2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Probably best not to go there.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

I guess I haven't dressed in the vanilla world enough to have women approach me. Anyway, unicorns don't exist so it's not a good expression regarding crossdressers. And I don't understand why women are sometimes interested. Are we some form of entertainment for them?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Reality Check
    I'm not exactly sure what a unicorn is, but I'm pretty sure I am not one.

When I dress and when I go out in public, my aim is to be seen as a woman, not some mythical beast. And I don't want women coming up to me and talking to me about how it feels to be a crossdresser. I want women to see and treat me as another woman, that's all.
    Krisi

I think most people are pretty much on autopilot and seem to be amazingly unaware of their surroundings. That said, I suspect they are a bit nervous if they see someone expressing what appears to be the wrong gender for their sex. It even happens when dressed mildly androgynous which is what I do a lot. If they are so hung up as to not like it then I really don't want to have much to do with them anyway. People who tend to be more accepting of diversity are so much nicer - people like, well, a lot of women. Of course that does not mean they want to have a close relationship, but that curiosity is a powerful force. Obviously if you are expressing a female-like gender many will appreciate the compliment and are curious about what makes you tick. Are you really as female-like as you look or are you just a guy in drag for some inexplicable reason and maybe like a strange fish lure?

I think men feel a little threatened or perhaps think you are a renegade male or you are up to no good. But others are more accepting and it is not always a sexual attraction; in fact that is likely to be an uncommon feeling. Take off the clothes and you just have another guy. Or do you?

Point is men and women think differently in some significant ways. Males tend to draw quick conclusions while women, in general, want more information. Not stereotypical, but certainly close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I've been under the assumption that the term "unicorn" was an accepting and participating spouse, girlfriend, or wife.
    What she said.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Here is the definition for unicorn that I have seen/heard most often (generally a Dan Savage column or podcast):

A common swinging term used in the community to refer to a single female interested in meeting other couples. Described as such due to the rarity of finding said females. By no means derogatory but quite the opposite, a rare treat.
    So, no, we aren't unicorns in the common vernacular.

However, I have interacted while out in public, and have been greatly rewarded. Went (as a guy) to get my nails done (for a train trip as a girl), and told the nail tech what I was doing. She wasn't tolerant, she was giddy I was a crossdresser, and we've been friends since.

Made friends with several SAs I met at Nordstrom.

Had a great experience with an SA at a White House Black Market in Chicago.

I've had wonderful experiences with multiple SAs at a Dangerfield store in Melbourne (do you know how nice it's to hear someone say "I want to see how this looks on you"?).

I've met friends of my friend Michelle at her favorite bar and they will ask me questions about why I dress.

Being able to positively interact with others while dressed is a very big upside of going out dressed.