Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voice Feminization

I continue to practice in the car! I have been complimented on having my voice down pat! Is it possible to do feminine coughs and sneezes? Or should I start a new thread? Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Read only
    LisaMarie,
    I see it as part of a package , the voice is one element of that package . From my experience what peolple see forms their fisrt impression , they have usually made up their minds if they consider you male or female . I'm out everday so I worked on the right wig and the right amount of makeup coupled with appropriate clothing , what to wear to push the trolley round the supermarket or walk the dog . What I sound like is possibly overridden by their visual assessment and I will add I don't have a problem and I don't hold back from making conversation with people . For me the big one to get over was stopping at all cost appearing in male mode , I'm not 100% there but getting close , once people can't make a comparison you will have less problems with tell-tail traits , like big hands big feet and voice . No one is perfect no matter what the gender so we don't need to achieve perfection even in transition .

"Finding Your Female Voice" by Andrea James, Deep Stealth Productions, helped me out a great deal. A caution though, in any event, do not smoke, even weed! When cannabis was decriminalized here I re-lived my second adolesence with great pleasure, but it set back my voice work by many, many months. I probably overdid it a bit (who? me?), but point being, "voice" was one of the biggest challenges for me to overcome, and I stupidly undid a whole lot of work. Don't smoke!
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Banned Read only
    Thanks for the suggestion !

One thing that I'd like to add to this, by way of encouragement, is this. Virtually everything about your "natural speaking voice" isn't natural at all it's something you learned in childhood. Your natural pitch isn't natural. English, at least for males, is spoken near the low end of your vocal range. Other languages are spoken higher in the vocal range. Vietnamese, for example, is "naturally" spoken near the middle of the vocal range. I've studied many different languages, and also some singing, and one of the first things I've learned is that virtually everything in our speech is learned, not natural.

As an example, your friend comes running in saying that he hasn't checked all the numbers yet, but this time he's sure he's won the lottery, the same thing he's said every week for the last year. You reply "yeah, right." In a disbelieving tone. There are many languages in which you cannot do that. To indicate disbelief, you have to use a different sentence structure, a word that means disbelief, or a different form of the verb.

You don't speak in a male voice because it's natural for you to do so. You learned to speak in a male voice by imitating other males. You can learn to speak in a female voice by imitating other females. Listen carefully to what she says and try to reproduce exactly the same sound. Not just the same words, the same sound. That's how (good) actors learn accents. That's also how babies learn to speak. If a baby can do it, then so can you.
    Last edited by CynthiaD; 02-10-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Banned Read only
    Cynthia,
    Makes sense , thanks for that . The problem I have is a with my voice /vocal chords , I can't reach low notes comfortablly and high notes also hurt my throat after a while , it may be my age .

I have been able to work with a speech therapist, at my VA. Over the course of 4 years she patiently helped me with speech patterns, resonance, muscles relaxation, and a few other techniques to help feminize my voice. It took two plus years, and eventually the twice monthly visits, changed to monthly and now this past year the visits are 3-4 months apart and after next week I may discontinue. But I certainly would recommend a voice coach or therapist. Best Wishes.