Thread: This is confusing...

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar

This is confusing...

Hey y'all! Yeah, it's been a bit since I've posted last, I've been SO busy with my job lately I barely have time when I get home to eat, shower and go to bed..... That's UPS during the holidays for ya, I suppose. LOL But, I have all weekend off starting tomorrow and I'm off Monday as well, so I'm gonna get me some MUCH needed Kimberly days in! WOO HOO!!

Anyway, this is confusing to me..... I keep getting notification pop-ups from the crossdresser posts on Reddit and thing about is, I don't even have a Reddit account at all and I've never looked at the crossdresser posts on Reddit either. Does this happen to any of y'all?
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

Kimberly

No I have never had that issue. If this is on a windows PC I would clear all the history cache and cookies, and run a scan using something like malwarebytes to check for problems with malware. It is probably not a virus but you never know. I always clear my history after every use of the browsers.

Sandi

In modern browsers you can open a "private" or "incognito" window that will keep no history and block access to existing cookies. Usually the address bar goes dark as a visual indication of this mode. This way you won't have to delete the history.

Does this happen to any of y'all?
    One word - cookies. Social media sites are very good at learning about you and your interests. Tracking cookies follow you everywhere, account or no. In the scenario you describe, you are ostensibly anonymous, to the social media site, but you activity is well known to them.

If your using IE, Chrome or any Google product stop...Try FireFox in private mode as yout browser and use Duck Duck Go as your search engine... neither pry into your business and are way better with no popups or ads for things you searched on last week, IMHO....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

That is a good start, but private mode is not enough. FB has too many hooks into web page designs. Add FF extensions Adblock Plus and Ghostery and enable them for private window. Beyond that, it's VPN and Thor time.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly A. View Post
    I keep getting notification pop-ups from the crossdresser posts on Reddit
    Well you obviously visited the reddit page in question and selected "yes" to the popup that asked it you want reddit to send you notifications.

Every browser is different but you need to go into your settings and turn the notifications off.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Well you obviously visited the reddit page in question and selected "yes" to the popup that asked it you want reddit to send you notifications.
    Um no, Roberta, I actually didn't..... I never click "yes" for any popups.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Well y'all, that's a lot of good advice..... I do use Google Chrome, I don't like Firefox and I sure as heck ain't gonna use a Thor or Onion browser, that's dark/deep web crap and I ain't ABOUT to get into that mess! LOL Also, I hear the FBI and other folks like that pretty much put a target on your computer whenever anyone uses a Thor or Onion browser, (or so I've heard)..... But either way, I'll play it safe and not use any of those.

What I WILL do, however is install CCleaner, I've had it before and used it a lot. It works great for clearing out just about everything..... Browsing history, cookies, etc. and I'll run my own anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Oh btw, I run Windows 10.

Don't know what you don't like about firefox, but chrome is a data mining browser. Safest windows browser is firefox and use duckduckgo as search engine. Only use google or facebook for things you don't care if tracked.

Sorry, jargon usage. "data mining" means collecting your browsing history and selling it to others for their usage. You have been warned. Again, safest practice is not to use facebook or google or any of their assumed companies products.
    Last edited by Aka_Donna; 12-25-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Banned Read only
    Um no, Roberta, I actually didn't..... I never click "yes" for any popups.
    Well somebody clicked this one otherwise you would not be getting the notifications.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 12-25-2020 at 12:26 PM.

SPAM....
    Delete, delete...

Any notices I receive from places where I have no account are ignored.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I love it when y'all start speaking GEEK!
    I am a work of art! I just wish that my artistic skill set was closer to Norman Rockwell than it is to Salvador Dali!

When I'm talking to my wife about something, say Vanity Fair panties and later I start seeing ads for vanity fair panties on my fb page.

Well I didn't click on it, Roberta and I'm the only one who ever uses my laptop.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Well I didn't click on it, Roberta and I'm the only one who ever uses my laptop.
    I'm guessing you did click on something to allow it through. They are sneaky bar stools. One reason I don't have a FB account of any form. Clear your cookies and browsing history.

My wife says that she gets sketchy ads, or popups, or something. I don't use her computer, ever. I only look at this site on this laptop. I only browse Reddit in stealth mode, on a different computer. I do not use that machine for business; that's only on a different desktop. Yet somehow the sneaky b*st**ds have managed to tie us together, maybe through our IP address.

Reality Check
    It is possible that someone entered your email address on another site. Probably by accident but it can happen.
    Krisi

Kim,

Do you have Alexa? I don't, but my friend claims Alexa listens. She owns a gym and if she talks about some equipment or work out shoes with her husband, she will get ads about the topic before she even looks it up on the computer. (I don't believe everything I hear, BUT, if true, it's kind of creepy).

Hi Kimberly and Char GG, I have had similar experiences with Alexa, but Kimberly I don?t think that kind of linkage is your current problem. Do you use a news aggregator? Sometimes it is easy to click on an article not noticing where it is sourced from. Ooooops. Too late. . Cleaning time.

vale

Ya might try another option to distance your web activities. You can add a new user to your computer.
    You could use the 'new' user as your public account and keep the old user as Kimberly.
    Although IMO it might be better to use the new user for Kimberly. But to do that you would have to find (and remove) the cookies etc that caused this to happen.