Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement, Theft & Gone

Retirement, Theft & Gone

Well I think this just put an end to the joys of living in 2020, what a terrible year we have had, I decided to retire in December and much planning went into it, as being a traveler this gave me ample opportunity of dressing which of course I looked forward to even if it was in a hotel room

My wardrobe changed over the last couple of years but having 15 business's to look after gave me the opportunity of moving my collection around and store securely at each location.

With Retirement I needed to bring everything back so rented a Storage facility not far form home and put in some drawers and Wardrobes to store my cloths, I today had a wife free day and could not get to the storage unit quick enough as had not worn a skirt of stockings for three weeks.

I got there and my day was destroyed the lock was gone and so was everything from inside, I called the Management who came down and they said sorry could not explain what had happened and gave me some claim forms, suggested I report it to the Police and gave me a new padlock.

How can I go to the police or put through a claim for my wardrobe, so I have nothing which I am gutted about.

Dresses, Skirts, Stocking Undies, Heels, Wigs everything gone.

Welcome to Retirement, not sure how I am going to start again.

That's horrid!! Sure your wife wasn't behind the break-in? She was just waiting for you to consolidate everything... and Boom! They always know, they just do....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I?m thinking just as Karren is. Sounds like your wife figured it out and cleaned house. I have yet to see a self storage facility that does not have a great surveillance system.

I am so sad for you Jeanette, how awful!
    Hmmmm, Cassie is right about surveillance systems. Did management even suggest looking at the cameras to see if anybody walked out with women's things?
    Those things could have been your wife's stuff, the police or management doesn't know that you were storing for your wife, a friend, daughter.
    Something is fishy for sure...management might be keeping tight lipped for a reason.
    As far as filling out the police report, it might get to the bottom of what happened.

I am not sure how your self storage works, do they supply you the lock and keep one key and give you one key?
    Can you supply your own lock and keep the keys.
    I ask because you mentioned they gave you a new lock.... why would they give you a new lock if everything was gone?
    Lot of red flags going off here....
    Last edited by candykowal; 12-25-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

What a great life
    Storage place didn't have security camera? Find a better place.

Yes but Camera Broken, yes sound very convenient, have reported to Police

I would have expected management to be a lot more concerned about a break-in. Lay a charge against them. Negilgence.
    The police ought to be able to subpeona the camera footage - I don't buy the story that it is broken.
    Use some Aussie savvy, Jeanette.

Maybe the guy at the storage is a secret cross dresser and saw you coming or leaving the storage figured it would be a great way to get a new wardrobe hey stranger things have happened. If I?m out of step forgive me or maybe I watch too many drama shows on tv. Like others here too it seems fishy giving you a n?w lock. I?d find another place next time. Storage places where I live are a dime a dozen. Chalk it up to a bad loss and start over. I am sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about this awful end to your year.

I would however council against putting any accusations your wife's way without solid proof. If innocent that's one sure way to end a marriage.

Is it the case that visitors to the facility come and go unchecked? If so perhaps their needs to be a form of sign in/sign out instigated. If unmanned a master access door with individual entry codes.

Sorry for your loss! I think that now you are retired and you worked your whole life for this. Its time to grow a pair explain to your wife what happen and truly come out to her. It my be the best thing that could happen to you!

A friend of mine works at a storage place, I believe I posted a while back when I went to help him. There was a room full of clothes and I asked him what was going on. He said when people don't pay there bill after so much time they have to reclaim the locker. Not like the storage wars show at his place they bring most of the stuff in a big room and separate it. The better stuff they have a few auctions every year but clothes or shoes they will gather and bring them to a goodwill and told me they try not to throw anything out because garbage bins are very expensive. I couldn't believe all the stuff there and he told me that there are many crossdressers who stash there stuff in lockers and will come in the middle of the night and dress there and walk around not caring about the cameras. He asked me if I wanted anything to help myself, I was rummaging through some of the stuff I only wish he knew I was a crossdresser because there were some amazing slips and skirts.
    I'm hoping they didn't confuse you storage for someone else that didn't pay and gave your stuff away and our now not going to admit there mistake. I purged once and never again, I lost some stuff I can never replace so I feel your pain.
    It smells like fish to me I know a lot of them are full of security cameras, so I believe there was a mistake made

I agree with Helen about making accusations unless you are on solid ground.
    Sorry this happened and I do not believe the camera was broken, it does sound fishy.
    Crissy

I agree with Helen and Crissy. Be careful about making accusations on the basis of assumptions. That is a dangerous road. I like Maria's idea that perhaps the management cleaned out the wrong storage unit and doesn't want to admit it because of liability. Seems more plausible.

You have reported it to the police. Let them do their work before you go any further.

Reality Check
    If you did this to hide your dressing from your wife, it's going to be pretty hard to file a report with the police or file an insurance claim, because when the police or insurance people call, she may answer the phone and then wonder why you had a storage locker in the first place. Same thing if they send a letter.

You have to balance what you do with the risk of your wife finding out.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    I can't believe how many people are suggesting it was their wife. That's a pretty horrendous allegation with zero proof.

At a time of equality, it's worth remembering innocent until proven guilty.

Banned Read only
    I'm very sorry that you experienced this theft. The circumstances seem a bit odd but, regardless, a loss is a loss. Don't be discouraged. Maybe this was the universe telling you to start the New Year with a whole new look. Stay positive, even in the face of adversity.

I feel truly sorry for you Jeanette. To have all your things stolen is terrible and it's not always possible to exactly replace certain favourite items when they're gone.
    I hope that somehow you are able to discreetly claim for your loss. The police don't have to know that they were your clothes, only that they were in your storage facility.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

Banned Read only
    Sorry for your loss. It must be really upsetting to lose an accumulation of personally selected fem clothing.

In the absence of any further details from you I am wondering about the incident. First, were you the only victim of a break in? Others? The local reports of such thefts usually state the lock was replaced with another. Any reputable storage facility would notice an unsecured locker, but a different lock would go unnoticed. Usually the renter returns and notices the switch of the lock. Secondly, why your locker? What made your locker stand out? When there is a home break in where I live it is usually a random act based on the absence of the resident and the ease to effect a break in. Also, the major monetary thefts always seem to be targeted by someone having knowledge of jewelry or money; things of value. Why your locker? Would the thief have knowledge the security cameras were inoperable?

I hope you were not a cross dresser that Maria (#11) describes and walks around a storage facility en femme and was observed. That introduces the possibility of selecting your locker because the thief felt you would not report the theft out of embarrassment. If you report a theft what would be on the list? Nothing but fem items and nothing else? Somewhat of a giveaway you're a cross dresser. Also, at a minimum the facility was derelict in not repairing a broken camera, especially if it advertises monitoring the premises.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Sounds like a rubbish day and an very rubbish storage facility.

Best way to get over this has to be an epic shopping trip. Then find a better storage company. Personally I wouldn't bother with the hassle of the Police report. That is just prolonging the pain, assuming there was nothing of huge monetary value stolen.

Jeanette,

Re-reading your post raised a few questions in my mind and I wondered if you could answer some questions for me?

1. Is the site permanently manned.
    2. How is access regulated/monitored
    3. If you've been given a claim form does that indicate some form of acknowledgement that they are in some way negligent? If they say they're not responsible for any loss, you shouldn't be able to claim.
    4. If a thief had cut the lock then I'd expect the remains to still be there. No lock indicates someone with a key opened the lock. My suspicions are raised by you saying they gave you a new lock. It could be they hold a master key to all the locks there or did you provide your own lock?
    5. CCTV; only one camera covering the whole site both inside and externally? I would want to know for how long did the outage last.

I would certainly do a calculation of just what the replacement cost would be. I'd be reasonable and not artificially inflate the figure as some claimants tend to do. Put in a claim as they should hold public liability insurance and to avoid any hassle they may just decide to pay out if not all, a percentage.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Sounds like a good excuse to start 2021 rite. Go shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    That's horrid!! Sure your wife wasn't behind the break-in? She was just waiting for you to consolidate everything... and Boom! They always know, they just do....
    Great to see u back, Karren!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    ................and they said sorry could not explain what had happened and gave me some claim forms, suggested I report it to the Police and gave me a new padlock.

Everyone has touched on every possibility already. I'm sure management is well versed in every loophole as far as liability goes.
    Maybe a lump sum insurance payment, if any, for miscellaneous item stolen. Did the phrase 'secure storage' come up at anytime?
    Also, surveillance isn't necessarily for witnessing the crime. It's to log the timestamp and identity of people on their way to and from an event.

If there needs to be a positive note, you made it to retirement. You can now selectively build a new wardrobe and possibly get an avenue of acceptance with your wife.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

You can tell the police that it was clothes and accessories. That is the truth. Unless they ask for specifics. Probably will never see these again.. Sorry to say.

My hubby also has a storage locker (for tools and shelving, not clothes). The storage building is surrounded by a gate and needs a passcode to gain access to the lockers. He uses two padlocks which he supplies himself.

Several years ago, someone else's locker was broken into and there was a homeless man sleeping inside. Another time, a unit was broken into and a sofa that was inside was dragged outside but never taken. I don't know what the answer is for you, however, since the lock was "gone", I am assuming someone had the key or knew how to open the lock without the key. It obviously happens. My hubby hasn't had a problem, maybe two locks deter a thief. I do think that the police should be alerted, there could be other locker break-ins or illegal activities going on around your lockers. Another consideration would be a criminal type using someone else's locker to store their stolen goods or drugs.

My point is, don't store anything at an outside location, that you would be heartbroken to lose.
    Last edited by char GG; 12-26-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by char GG View Post
    My point is, don't store anything at an outside location, that you would be heartbroken to lose.
    Alternatively, take the buddhist approach and try not to form attachment to material goods, otherwise your possessions own you.