I'm going to start by saying I have a new-found appreciation for those who can wear really tall heels (talking 5+ inch AFTER any platform/sole height is subtracted) without issue.

I've known for a while now that walking around in 4" and 4.5" heels wasn't the same as it is for those who have smaller feet (women's sizes 6-10's), because the longer the foot (women's 12-13) the less of an angle in relation to ball of my foot to the top of the heel. It just isn't as steep. The geometry is just different.

Still though, I thought for sure that if I could comfortably walk in a 4.5" heel that I would be able to do 5", 5.5", or maybe even 6" heels. My new single sole 5.5"'s came in today and I've found my ankle/foot just doesn't stretch as much however to really accommodate that measly 1" increase (about 20-25% though when I think about it). I'm a little surprised and now understand why it can be difficult for others with smaller feet to wear the same heels I have been w/o any problem. It isn't all about balance and coordination. Some of it is physiology.

I look at my feet/legs in a mirror I have the right geometry I wanted however. They look great standing still, but even though I've been competently wearing heels as high as 4.5", this new inch is going to be a challenge. I walk like a sailor at port after being at sea for 9 months.... Actually, they probably walk better, or at least until I get my muscles and tendons conditioned.