Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny little thing - geometry

Funny little thing - geometry

I'm going to start by saying I have a new-found appreciation for those who can wear really tall heels (talking 5+ inch AFTER any platform/sole height is subtracted) without issue.

I've known for a while now that walking around in 4" and 4.5" heels wasn't the same as it is for those who have smaller feet (women's sizes 6-10's), because the longer the foot (women's 12-13) the less of an angle in relation to ball of my foot to the top of the heel. It just isn't as steep. The geometry is just different.

Still though, I thought for sure that if I could comfortably walk in a 4.5" heel that I would be able to do 5", 5.5", or maybe even 6" heels. My new single sole 5.5"'s came in today and I've found my ankle/foot just doesn't stretch as much however to really accommodate that measly 1" increase (about 20-25% though when I think about it). I'm a little surprised and now understand why it can be difficult for others with smaller feet to wear the same heels I have been w/o any problem. It isn't all about balance and coordination. Some of it is physiology.

I look at my feet/legs in a mirror I have the right geometry I wanted however. They look great standing still, but even though I've been competently wearing heels as high as 4.5", this new inch is going to be a challenge. I walk like a sailor at port after being at sea for 9 months.... Actually, they probably walk better, or at least until I get my muscles and tendons conditioned.

Pythagoras actually began his theorem when he was in junior school 🤓. 100 lbs soaking wet, knee high to a grasshopper. He bought his first heels. 3" 👠.

Then he had to put his dressing on hold for a bit : exams, family commitments, kids, DADT, etc. The familiar story.

So when he resumed his dressing as a fully grown adult, he remembered his favoured heel height of 3", and he was like, "wait a minute!..." 🤔

And voil? - The pythagoras theorem 📐.

True story! Not many people know that. *ahem*.

- L.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jeremie , Most All of my Heels are size 13, With a few 12Wide open toe
    about 80% are 4" to 4.5" with a few 5' to 6" I just turned 78 last month and
    I can still walk min them, I am careful with the Hi -High Heels,,

I have been in this program for 74 years now, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lydianne View Post
    Pythagoras actually began his theorem when he was in junior school ��. 100 lbs soaking wet, knee high to a grasshopper. He bought his first heels. 3" ��.

Then he had to put his dressing on hold for a bit : exams, family commitments, kids, DADT, etc. The familiar story.

So when he resumed his dressing as a fully grown adult, he remembered his favoured heel height of 3", and he was like, "wait a minute!..." ��

And voil? - The pythagoras theorem ��.

True story! Not many people know that. *ahem*.

- L.
    OK... That is just funny. Well played.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Jeremie , Most All of my Heels are size 13, With a few 12Wide open toe
    about 80% are 4" to 4.5" with a few 5' to 6" I just turned 78 last month and
    I can still walk min them, I am careful with the Hi -High Heels,,

I have been in this program for 74 years now, >Orchid**OO**
    Wow... are those without platforms as well? Very impressive. Scale of 1-10, 10 being impossible and 1 being no difference at all, how much harder do you feel it is for you to walk in the 5 and 6 inch heels ?
    Last edited by char GG; 01-05-2021 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Sending PM

Seriously, though, there are others more qualified than myself to help you. DocRobbySherry for example, knows about extreme heels... right after telling you that anything below 5 inch is flats .

Regards,
    - L.

Banned Read only
    Jeremie ,
    Sometime ago a piece was written by a female doctor on the idea that we have a natural heel height .

She suggested that you sit on the floor with your back flat against the wall with your legs straight out , if your foot sits naturally at right angles to the floor then you don't have the ability to comfortably wear heels . If your foot falls away at an angle , you take a line from the ball of the toes at a right angle to the floor , where that point touches the floor you then measure from that point to the ball of your heel , that measurement is your natural heel height , my measurement is 3.5" . I must admit if the shoe fits well that is my most comfortable heel height to walk in . I have 4" and 5" heels and have danced in them all night on occasions but my feet let me know the next morning that they're not happy . I forgot to say I wear a UK size 8 which I believe is a US size 10 .

If you don't look elegant walking in very high heels then there's no point in wearing them and long term you are damaging your feet .

My wife was a UK size 3 she dumped most of her high heels because the angle made them unwearable .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-05-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Jeremie, the difference between 4.5" and 5.5" heels can be like the difference between regular math and geometry. Which has nothing to do with heel hite vs shoe size!

I recently threw on some 5.5" spikes for a shoot. After the cramps calmed down, I felt ok in them. For the hour long shoot. But, my calves were sore the next day!

I guess my age, 77, is creeping up on my hi heeled spike habit!?

However, I know how to keep wearing 5.5" heels. Just sit on the floor and stretch out my feet and calves for a few minutes before putting them on!

Try it! It works!

PS: The only reason I don't wear 6" heels is that my toes won't bend enuff to get them on!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The Geometry I understand given heel height shoe lenght etc.

The only time I get a little annoyed is when someone insists they wear 5 inch heels but it the sole of the foot is also 1 inch thick.

This effectively is only the same as 4 inch heels.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Banned Read only
    Sherry,
    I think the mistake we make sometimes is taking the shoes off , you know it's going to be worse when you have to put them back on .

I know you often see GGs kick off their heels after a while if they want to dance all night , there is usually a clear notice telling people not to take drinks onto the dance floor , we had an incident where someone ignored it and the glass was broken , the dance floor wasn't a pretty sight with so many cut feet .

I have worn them for a little while now and I am pretty certain I am dealing with a flexibility issue and maybe a little bit of a strength issue when the feet at such an angle. Just standing, my body wants to bend my knees forward to release the tension I feel over the toes, across the top of the foot, and into the low front shin.

I think this will fix itself with additional explore.

Thanks for all the input, wisdom, and advice everyone.

Jeremie, For me it just took some time, to get used to the height difference. 5" or 5.5" is a big jump from 4" or so, if that is what you are used to walking in. I don't know that I could do 6" or more, unless there was a platform of at least a 1/2" built-in. And I agree with Teresa that do not take them off to rest your feet, or they feel worse going back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Jeremie ,
    Sometime ago a piece was written by a female doctor on the idea that we have a natural heel height .

She suggested that you sit on the floor with your back flat against the wall with your legs straight out , if your foot sits naturally at right angles to the floor then you don't have the ability to comfortably wear heels . If your foot falls away at an angle , you take a line from the ball of the toes at a right angle to the floor , where that point touches the floor you then measure from that point to the ball of your heel , that measurement is your natural heel height , my measurement is 3.5" . I must admit if the shoe fits well that is my most comfortable heel height to walk in . I have 4" and 5" heels and have danced in them all night on occasions but my feet let me know the next morning that they're not happy . I forgot to say I wear a UK size 8 which I believe is a US size 10 .

If you don't look elegant walking in very high heels then there's no point in wearing them and long term you are damaging your feet .

My wife was a UK size 3 she dumped most of her high heels because the angle made them unwearable .
    Hmm, anyone in a DADT will have trouble me thinks......
    Liz☺

Banned Read only
    Jeremie,
    I find you have good days and bad , sometimes I can wear the same pair of shoes all night and other times they kill me after an hour .

I hardly ever wear flats , most of my heels start at about 2" which are my everyday boots or wedges . I still find wedges the best compromise for summer , they can look smart and acceptable with a heel but not tarty .

Perhaps consider how many GGs do you see struggling to walk in 5" heels ?

Reality Check
    I almost never see a woman in 5" heels except on TV. Not in real life. I very rarely see women in anything higher than 2 1/2" or 3" heels. I suppose different parts of the country and different parts of the world have different customs, but that's what I see where I live.

I have a couple pairs of 2 1/2" heels that I occasionally wear around the house but when I go out, I wear flats to blend in with the other women. At slightly over 5' 8" (I seem to be shrinking with age) I am still tall for a woman my age. No sense being 3" taller.
    Krisi

Teresa and Krisi, not all dressers want to look "like all other women" in vanilla venues. I'm a CD, not a TS. And, mostly go out to T friendly clubs and bars.

Where nearly everyone is dressed sexy and wearing hi, spike heels. And, most r 4" or higher!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    When I have gone to the mall (pre-covid) I see many young women trying to walk in a high heel. It is amusing. It is evident they probably have not worn a high heel until it was time to go to the junior prom. Same results as a guy who has never worn a high heel or limited himself to being at home. My heels fall in the 3 1/2 inch range. I do have two pairs that were advertised at a lesser height, but, were actually 5 inch heels. Yes, that height hurt my calves. Even on a six foot tall guy, tat height hurt. I know the answer is to exercise tendons and muscles less I damage my legs. I constantly watch Vanna White walk across the letter board. She, and news casters, seem to have the fluidity of movement than comes with a lot of practice, but, probably also due to the anatomy of a woman at the hips. Pure conjecture for me. Those 5 inch heels are packed away. I feel not necessity to wear a heel of that height. For me, it does not add to the experience.

Sorry, I just had to laugh...
    Where else but right here will you ever found a discussion of heel height and geometry?

I do so love this forum...
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Geometry within regards to the angle of the foot to the floor is just semantics, how a high heel uplifts the derriere and enhances the bust, seem to me, the reason high heels are worn. That should be the sum of the equation!
    Does a 5 1/2" heel cause our curves to be more enhanced than a 3" heel?
    There has to be a heel height that anything taller doesn't do anything more to a feminine figure, if worn.
    It becomes wishful thinking for the wearer not to mention a danger to the persons safety!

I suppose if I got out in high heels more than a dozen times a year, I would be wearing them more often.
    Back in my youth, I was regularly wearing 3 1/2" heels while dancing and clubbing.
    THAT was my threshold of tolerance for enhancing my shape and poise.
    Driving a manual car with a stick shift in heels is another equation, unless they're removed during the drive.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Hi,
    Candy, I (as part of my building up to coming out of the closet! )tried driving in 3"heels. Cant say i noticed any diference to driving in "drab".
    Looking at photo's on say Flickr &i have concluded that the 5"plus shoes are just for posing with.....
    Liz

Banned Read only
    Sherry,
    I won't stop wearing them for the right occasion but not to push the trolley round the supermarket , I never said anything about having some fun sometimes !!

Liz,
    Best way of ruining a nice pair of heels .

I raised the point when this comment was made before , I wouldn't risk wearing very high heels when driving , I don't want to be repsonsible for causing an accident ( my car is a manual shift ) and I'm not sure how happy my insurance company would be when they discovered the possible cause of the accident , we have to be responsible for other road users .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-06-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by candykowal View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Driving a manual car with a stick shift in heels is another equation, unless they're removed during the drive.
    I find driving in 5"+ heels to be a lot safer than driving barefoot!

After all, u don't use your heels anyway!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    It's been said as a general rule of thumb that you should be able to lift the heel of the shoe off the ground at least a quartet inch while you're standing.(keeping the front of the shoe on the ground). To simulate a taller heel. That's like the minimum to walk comfortable if you will I know that's not the best choice of words.

Sofar we seem to be talking stilletoes, what about thicker heels? I find them better &more stable.I dont mean "clod hoppers" but those as per my photoEvans shoes.jpg

they are (u.k.) size 9eee, heel 4"
    Liz
    Last edited by Liz Jones; 01-07-2021 at 04:10 PM.

I typically wear heels from 2-4ins. The biggest thing I have noticed is build quality matters the most. Followed by toe shape. I had one pair of boots with a 4in heel, and first time I put them on. I literally twisted my ankle when I put weight on them. I took them off, and noticed the heel on both was tilted towards eachother. I threw them away, as they were cheap, and not worth it getting another pair.

If you can find neutral fabric shoes or boots. They will typically be built better, and also more comfortable. Other then a pair of wedge sneakers I have. Most of of shoes are leather, or natural fabric.

As for toe shape. The more pointed the toe. Less comfortable it is. I have one pair of pointed toe boots, but they are comfortable. I have had other pairs in the past. That while I could walk in them. My toes were shot pretty quick..

I have worn Many different sizes. A while back I posted a drawing showing the geometry of Height verse size. I now have a group of friends who routinely dance in 5+ hills (After correcting for the platform) They are Drag Queens. Some of them have to wear us 13 shoes. I perform in 4" on the rare occasions I have done DQ. When taking their photos I usually wear either my black Mary Jane flats or one of my 2.5" heels.
    One of our DQ weighs in over 300 lb and only 5'6" tall. She once told me that she has to be careful to get heels with a steel shank that is welded to the steel core of the heel. She uses a big magnet to check them.