Thread: Gender Inequality

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gender Inequality

I felt compelled to write about this (as many of us may have) during an experience I had in summer.
    I was in "ugly mode" meaning born identity mode dressed in a feminine to almost unisex shirt and capri pants with a pair of feminine looking leather sandal. Mind you, even in "ugly mode" my toes are always painted in a clear coat with a slight hint of a "French" pedicure.
    The manager of the restaurant stopped me in the entrance and said my attire was not in line with their dress code and I was not allowed to go in unless I changed... I felt rather upset and ashamed at the same time with his condescending looks. What was I going to do? I wouldn't have time to go home and change and I did not want to let my friend wait too long or worse let her eat alone. I almost had tears in my eyes as I turned around and headed to a nearby ZARA and bought some "Ugly" shoes and and pair of pants that went past my ankles. Needless to say I was devastated and my whole day or weekend ruined.
    After some thought, I decided to take revenge or more like test my theory.
    I booked the restaurant again to have lunch with my friend and I wore exactly the same out fit only this time I was in "Pretty mode" all dolled up with make up, wig, batty eye lashes and full manicure and pedicure in gel-nails.
    Sure enough the manager was right in front of the welcome area all smiles looking at me.
    I did not reveal to him who I was and he led me to my table without a fuss and even pulled my chair for me.
    I am floored.
    Why all this double standard.
    Why can't we be treated the same. It's a hot day and all I wanted to do was look good and feel comfortable.
    Love,Yin.
    Last edited by Yinlingyen; 01-20-2021 at 08:56 PM.