Thread: All dressed up and nowhere to go !

Banned Read only

All dressed up and nowhere to go !

Before the last lockdown in the UK I made a visit to my out of town store , there appeared to be more sales staff than customers so when I approached the checkout several were standing against the backwall chatting . I took one look and said to them all , " look at this , all dressed up and nowhere to go !" One of the females shook her head and pointed to her corporate uniform and said " What dressed like this !" So I replied , " You've no excuse , look at all these lovely clothes on the racks ". While the lady was checking my items out I pointed out that the management were missing a trick , they could use their checkout staff as models . I suggested it could sound something like this , from the automatic announcement , " Cashier No 2 ( pause ) she is wearting a skirt and top from the spring collection by Roman ". "Cashier No 4 ( Oh ) someone should have advised him to choose something from the male section ! But he does look cute in the off the shoulder outfit !!" .

I'm sure the poor checkout lady nearly wet herself laughing , the guy next to her didn't know what to make of it , I will add all this took place with the covid-19 safety precautions . This is why I miss my High Street shopping , you cant have the same fun online .

Teresa, you make a valid point. Years ago I had a client who had several optical shops. One shop constantly had better sales than the others. I was hired to find out why. I discovered that the staff at that shop always wore the newest designer frames, even if they didn?t need to wear glasses (they would install plain glass lenses). Customers would see them being modeled, saw how good they looked when worn, compared to being on a rack, and would purchase them. This resulted in higher sales and bigger profits because of the margins on designer frames.

I worked retail for many years and all of the retail jobs I had required you to wear their products from current lineups. If there was an unusually warm day in the winter, you could get away with out of season stuff, but for the most part you had to wear their clothes and there were restrictions on that.
    “You can love someone so much… But you can never love someone as much as you miss them.”
    -John Green, An Abundance of Katherines

I can't speak to the situation in the U.K. or the U.S., but it has been my experience here in Canada that on the few occasions when I went into stores run by retail chains or consignment stores catering to "larger" women, the owners or staff were invariably also plus-sized.

Coincidence? I think not. Clearly, that was by design to both make their larger-sized clients feel more comfortable in their stores as well as be relatable...not to mention also showcasing their latest wares by encouraging their staff to buy and wear their products through generous employee discounts.

Of course, in these politically-correct times, one could also make the argument that this practice would be contrary to the spirit of diversity and inclusiveness that is now being encouraged everywhere by shutting less ample women out of their hiring practices, but I won't go there...

Sounds like you are on to something Teresa, besides having fun interacting with the sales associates, having them model the wares is the way to go.
    I know when I am at Sephora, the SA's all wear the corporate makeup and will actually show me how they use the product.
    And their makeup isn't cheap so they must be doing something right!?!?!
    Having said all that, getting out and about and chatting with others is pretty fun! Thanks for sharing your fun experience.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Banned Read only
    Candy,
    I'm saddened at times that people just don't communicate , some of these SAs work long and sometimes boring hours , they appreciate a little fun at times , it harms no one .

Sometime ago the same store installed a " Creche " seating area for the guys where they could have a coffee and read free newspapers while their womenfolk shopped . On one occasion it was nearly full and I stopped and looked at them all and ask if I could squeeze in to join them for a coffee , the look on their faces was priceless , they didn't know whether to tell me it was OK or make a quick exit !!! I did add that I'd noticed some of their credit cards were smoking because they had been used so much , the look of panic on some of their faces !!

Interestingly they told me at the checkouts that sales increased when they installed it as women could shop longer and obviously spend more .

Leslie,
    We are what we are , many people are well proportioned now , in some repspects it's made it easier for us as shoe sizes are now very similar and many fashion items will fit off the peg . I have noticed many of the " Petite " sized shops have closed .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-28-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Teresa,

Since the very first time I walked enfemme into a shop and went though the checkout I've made it a point of speaking to whoever is serving me. "How's your day been?". "You're in the right place in here, the weather is awful outside". Any little snippet of conversation to get things started and from that I've had many lovely chats with SA's especially if it's a slow day for them and I'm the only one being served. It helps break up their day and also it shows us just to be normal people who can be engaged with.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I find communicating with the sales staff gives me communication experience and I think you learn something new every time you do it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Always a fun element to your post, I enjoy that.

It's many years since I lost the nerve to clothes shop for female items on the high st. I am missing shopping though. Only yesterday I so wanted to drive into town and buy some climbing gear. With bridge tolls and petrol it would be far more than shopping on line, but being there is just so much more fun than on line. Of course in the present times I had to buy on line, after a word with my self. But the high street is just so much more interactive and fun than the internet will ever be.

I so hope there is something left of it after the pandemic is over. Assuming I'm still around. Sad times.

Can't finish on a sad note so I will add a big.

Banned Read only
    Jane ,
    Thanks for your lovely comments .

I have a feeling the whole situation will go full circle , people will be so fed up with shopping online they will want to shop back on the High Street , I'm sure you will see an upsurge of people prepared to gamble redundantcy money on opening the little shop of their dreams .

Banned Read only
    I think it is common courtesy to briefly chat with any sales associate as long as the conversation does not back up the line. Imagine yourself standing at a counter for eight hours a day and nobody says a word to you. There is a woman at one of the local grocery stores who has been a cashier there since I moved to my small city (1976). We always exchange pleasantries. It's as if we grew old together which really is the case. I also think it is totally rude for a customer to go through the entire shopping experience and checking out while talking about nothing on a cell phone.

I enjoy the experience of chatting with sales staff, and waitresses..... Several years ago my group was holding their monthly meetings at one of the upscale hotels in Atalanta and one of the young female desk clerks was quite friendly and and always greeted me with the nickname she gave me. " Hi Legs". Her and several of the other desk girls always complimented me on my attire and legs, was a great feeling and we had lots of fun with the greetings. I miss these girls and hope to see them again in the near future.