Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community feeling on Drag

I'm a 2 but wouldn't mind doing a drag look for fun once or twice, but don't like that people will assume anyone who is any kind of trans aspires to have that look. I do peek at RuPaul if I ever see that they're doing some more normal looks, but that probably annoys the fans of that show.

But right from the start here I've appreciated the expertise and tips you bring to the party Micki!

#4 is as close as I get. I think the lip syncing is the part that I least like about it. And I'm not really a fan of the OTT makeup.
    But in my defense, I have yet to see a professional show, so I reserve the right to change my opinion lol.
    With that said, I would definitely come see you perform if you came to Boston lol. And I would bring a group of friends as well!

Banned Read only
    Micki,
    It's not something I'm concerned about one way or the other . I have been to see a live act and enjoyed it because basically she was a really good singer , did she need to tell the jokes she chose to ? I personally feel it didn't add to the act but obviously other members of the audience enjoyed them . I might consider doung something in drag if I could raise money for a good cause but I wouldn't be into it on a regular basis . She did a photoshoot at the end of the show in the foyer because she supported the LGBTQ community , I put my arm round her waist and she felt like she was wearing a bullet proof vest underneath . I'll have to retrieve the picture from the person in our group that took it .

Put me down as a two.

Drag is way too Over the top for my tastes. It's "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!", where my wish is to be on more of a "blend into the crowd" vibe.

Aspiring Member
    I am very much a 2. I have never been to a drag show live. I have seen several different drag shows and documentaries. Most are to cartoonish for my taste.
    A funny note, many years ago my mother said i should go see Boylesque in Vegas. My mom passed several years ago, But i am sure she knew.
    Sara

I'm firmly in #4. I have seen shows in local dive bars and more professional shows as well. I enjoy Drag but would never go on stage. To me, Drag is a type of Theatre, just like some people go to the Opera, a play or the ballet. One of the best shows I have seen was "Dragged to Oz", a Wizard of Oz themed show. I study make-up, and would love to learn Drag make-up as a technique.

Reality Check
    I have watched bits and pieces of the RuPaul show, but I find it difficult to watch and the overdone "drag queens" are not for me. I have never been to a drag show and probably wouldn't go if I had the opportunity.

I do find movies about men dressing and passing as women in ordinary life interesting, but I have seen very few.
    Krisi

I would come in at number one. I have caught a few minutes of Ru Paul on TV but never seen a show nor do I have any interest in it. I don?t think it is an accurate representation of crossdressing and what motivates us.

I have been to numerous Drag shows and if done with taste are very enjoyable and a nice opportunity to get with other gurls for a gurls night out. ( I guess I?m a #4 )

I'd be a 4. Enjoyed the shows but would have no talent at all to even try to be in one.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Banned Read only
    I'm a solid #4. Drag is performing art and, as such, very few people can pull it off successfully. I celebrate those who do, applaud those who try, and recognize that it's just not for me.

I am with Stephanie on this one . I also don't like the fact that people associate crossdressing as being gay .

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Number 4 for me. I favor performances that lean more towards female impersonation, such as that of previous long running shows by Frank Marino in Las Vegas. Performers on RuPaul are a bit over the top for me and not so entertaining.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Another of those acronyms that changes meaning with context. Me, I use the term drag to simply mean dressed as a girl. I don't follow the "drag scene". It comes across as too outlandish and masculine for me. Yet another part of the modern world of would be celebrity. Not something I can relate to, but fun to witness at times, like any show.

I will settle for 6ft 4in male cross dresser. Yet when I am dressed, I consider myself drag, in the simplest way.
    Last edited by Jane G; 02-01-2021 at 11:40 AM.

When I lived in Baltimore in the '70s, many of my acquaintances were involved in the local ballroom drag culture (long story). Back in those days any gay man that wore articles of women's clothes or just dressed and acted effeminately was a Drag Queen whether or not he was a performer. This was the milieu from which Drag performers came. All you needed was talent and a look. It was interesting to me how DQs and "trannies" were outcasts even in the broader gay community. "Straight acting" gays were probably embarrassed by their flamboyance since the public associated effeminacy with gayness. If you search on youtube, you can find a documentary "Paris is Burning" that gives you an idea of what the New York Drag Ball culture was like during that time. I imagine it was similar in Bmore. My biggest regret from that time was that I never attended a ball even though I was invited. If I had to choose between being stuck on a desert island with a busload of Drag Queens or a busload of Crossdressers, I'd choose the DQs any day. Never a dull moment! So, yeah, 6 sign me up all I need is talent.

Even though I am a GG it would be 6.
    Sherlyn and I had a lot of Drag Queen friends. We started out just going and giving support and cheering them on, I would help out and work the door and we traveled to a few citys in Canada .
    They asked us to join in with a yearly event at Queens University and we performed together for those yearly .
    We used to post our videos of us Performing so some might remember.
    Oh gosh I miss those days so much fun and great friends.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Di, there is something called a Faux Queen which has been described as a Drag Queen trapped in a woman's body. Basically women who dress up and perform as Drag Queens. so, you wouldn't be alone.

Hello Micki,
    my feeling is jealousy! I wish I had the courage and the body - I am more likely to be the Ugly Sister at the Pantomime if I tried it.
    stay healthy,
    Luv J

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    #2.
    Unfortunately, many drag queens r quite large and way over the top appearance wise! I don't find the clown, woman parody look appealing.

I've always enjoyed and admired "female impersonators", tho!

If all drag queens looked like u. Micki? I could become a fan!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Interesting topic, since I suppose many of us on this forum fall into the simple crossdressing category.
    Closest thing I have been to Drag shows would be "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" and
    "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and I found them funny and mildly entertaining. However, there is a question in
    my head that has been rattling around for the past few months, that a I really want a GG's take on.

My Comment is because Drag is SOO over the top, is it really more offensive to women because it is such a caricature of natural women,
    much in the same manner that "Minstrel Shows" and questionable blackface comedy have been offensive to people of color.
    It's almost like drag is making fun of women since it is so caricature based. Seems like a similar comparison to me.

I would of course love to hear all y'all's comments on this especially from our lovely GGs - since they are the real deal
    Last edited by AnnieMac; 02-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.

On a side note, I find it interesting that a few responses referred to the drag scene, or drag queens, as being masculine. I guess I dont quite understand that...?

@AnnieMac,

I'm not easily offended. I think if people want to do or see drag, that's their prerogative. It doesn't bother me a bit. That said, I probably wouldn't pay to see a drag show because I am fussy about who I pay money to see. I have gone to several Lady Gaga shows and Cher in concert. There were plenty of drag/CDers in the audience (including my hubby)! It was all fun.

As I said earlier, the one drag show I saw was at a gay bar, not in good taste, boring, and no talent involved, which is why I didn't care for it. At least it was a free show!
    Last edited by char GG; 02-01-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Micki, I guess I would fall under 3. There have not been many where I live. The only ones around would be a bit of a drive.
    Since I cannot drink (Dr's orders) I have not frequented bars for a long time. I am so out of touch with so much.
    When it gets safer to be out in public, I will likely make that drive. I am sure they serve sodas.
    Thanks for your input and sharing your experiences on this forum.

If I were a gay man it would be a 6 , but I am a very femme gal so not a drag king .
    Alot here know that I was raised in the Texas drag community by my two drag queen cousins . They have been doing drag since 1978 and boy did we all have fun over the years , One is retired, one is not and does command performances for charity and still puts on shows that others are in and we are still very close . He's been Miss Gay Texas more times than should be allowed also .
    I am grateful for that life , I was raised around alot of interesting, creative people .
    I love drag , I could go every night
    I show horses and I love that stage and my outfits are always very flashy so the influence is always there .
    IG : Knightress Oxide

3) for me. I am very naive to this, but I have been to Darcelle's in Portland, Oregon a very long time ago.