Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do CD stores use woman models?

Why do CD stores use woman models?

When I go to CD website stores to look for heels, dresses, wigs, makeup, etc. I'm so bummed out!

I'm a CDer and when I'm looking for an item I want to see it on a CDer not a woman.
    Lets face it , most women are so much smaller than the average CDer so it's an unrealistic expedition.
    But when you see the item on a CDer you know what to expect!
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 02-01-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Banned Read only
    Because they are selling the exact same clothes as you can buy at a store for GG's (usually at a premium price because now it's for a Crossdresser...) and use all the same stock photos the clothing manufacturer provides.

This is why I have never bought anything besides hip pads and breast forms from a crossdresser store.

Silver Member
    Same thing for women. Women look at the pictures and then buying the outfits learn they don't resemble the picture they first saw.

I'd rather see how it looks on a woman any day.... gives me an idea how it's supposed to lokk vs how it will look on me! sigh......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Judy, based on all your pictures I'd say you'd make a great CD model. You should apply for a modeling job. I do agree with Karren that I like to see what the dress looks like on a woman, but, when a woman buys a dress shown on a size 2 woman and she is actually a size 22, there is major disappointment to be had,

We are buying the means for our illusion and they want to heighten the dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Reality Check
    I think if you really want to know you have to ask them. Unless someone in this group works at a CD store, we won't know.

That said, I have seen things modeled on actual crossdressers. Other than my breast forms and hip padding, I don't generally shop at CD stores, I shop at mainstream stores that sell clothes and shoes to "real" women. I buy most of my jewelry on eBay.
    Krisi

IMO if you want to sell something, you want it to appeal to the 'mass' not the minority.
    For all we know, the model might be a CD (maybe that's a joke on my part)...
    Still if you want them to use CD's then are they allowed to use a face app......
    How about those on this site that for what ever reason don't shave, is that also going to sell more items.
    I vote with Karren, show us what the items should look like, rather than something that some one might consider as PC.
    And along the line of what lingerieLiz says, most adult women will have a rough time trying to look like the average clothing model.
    Not sure if it would sell clothing if all the models were 'normal' looking or even plus size. Clothing, specially woman's clothing is marketed as something that enhances the buyers appeal. Trying to suggest if you buy this item you will actually look like the model....
    Personally if I was looking to buy a item, and at first glance I got the impression it was sold as a "CD" item, I'd be leery that wearing it would be advertising myself as a CD. I think most of us want to blend, not be advertising.
    ALTHOUGH wouldn't the world would be a much better place if all clothing / items were considered gender neutral.

Silver Member
    The better ones use CD or TG models, like Glamour Boutique. They use contest winners like Heidi Phox. But it may also depend on what item they are displaying.

The answer is so simple, the mind of a crossdresser is focus on look like a woman so they tell you, you will look like her with this dresser or whatever they are showing so you believe it and buy it.

Then you post pictures here after taking hundreds thinking you look like the model and avoid any that didn't look like the model or show your male shape....

Just marketing.... for crossdressers.....

They same happens with women models are perfect so women but thinking they will look like the model....
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

I used to visit those sites.
    The prices are usually inflated and I can buy the same clothing (or better) at a regular store for less. It makes no sense to spend more just because they direct their marketing towards our community.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

hello Judy,
    it might be because there are not enough cross-dressers who are willing to be a model and have their pictures published.
    Any volunteers?
    stay healthy,
    luv J

For the same reason that regular stores use size zero models. They’re not just selling the clothes, they’re selling what you think you’ll look like in them.

Just what Micki Finn said.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    hello Judy,
    it might be because there are not enough cross-dressers who are willing to be a model and have their pictures published.
    Any volunteers?
    stay healthy,
    luv J
    Actually, there used to be a T girl here that was an early model for a Trans Female clothing site. She looked completely fem and attractive! As did their other T model!
    There's no shortage of T models. But, T's may prefer adds with women models?

Personally, I do. Because I adjust my figure to maximize the fem look of the outfit I'm wearing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    I used to visit those sites.
    The prices are usually inflated and I can buy the same clothing (or better) at a regular store for less. It makes no sense to spend more just because they direct their marketing towards our community.
    I agree, Cheryl.

Bad enough that I need to pay the "woman premium" when I buy deodorants, toiletries, razors etc. that are usually targeted towards females for my "Leslie" side, or else have to get my female clothing dry cleaned. I'll be d*mned if I pay the "crossdresser premium" on top of that for those items sold on crossdresser websites that I could easily purchase from a more traditional retailer.

These people prey on the closeted crossdressers who are too shy or too inhibited to purchase their female clothing or footwear needs in person from mainstream stores for fear of being "outed" or shamed. I got over that years ago when I realized that nobody actually cared. Even so, the odd SA who might have made a comment usually did it in jest or out of curiosity, and not out of malice, so I always had stock answers to fall back on to deflect those questions or remarks. Even that is now a rarity, now that more and more people are aware that we exist, and Corporate sensitivity and diversity training amongst the retailers has pretty much put "Paid" to those kinds of awkward interactions.

It used to be that catalog purchasing was a God-send for those closeted individuals, but even then, one usually had to deal with a real, live person at the other end of the phone to place an order. Now the anonymity of online purchasing via the Internet is their friend.

I'm finally me; I'm free. LisaMarieDayton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    These people prey on the closeted crossdressers who are too shy or too inhibited to purchase their female clothing or footwear needs in person from mainstream stores for fear of being "outed" or shamed. I got over that years ago when I realized that nobody actually cared.
    I use to feel the same way. I would walk towards the woman's section and abort because I was afraid of being outed. I realized I was letting strangers stop me from buying clothes. I stopped caring.

In regards to the OP, I stopped buying clothes from online sites unless I have experience with the brand. I've been disappointed many times getting an item that didn't fit right. I also hate returning things by mail so I would just donate the item at Goodwill and waste my money. If they had CD/TG models it would be worth considering ordering from them; especially being a CD/TG site. Good question.

Judy, I would like to look like a women, not a guy in a dress. So I understand the use of female models.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I agree, but probably easier and faster for them to use a stock photo than to arrange and pay for a photo shoot with cd models for every piece of clothing on their site.

Banned Read only
    Judy,
    A couple of points to discuss here .

First why shop on CDer's websites , I found they sell questionable quality at high prices . We can usually find something in ordinary women's clothing sites that wll fit us no matter our shape or size , from petitte to outsize .

The second point is the majority here are M/F dressers so it's more important to know what an item will look like on the female form , that's why the majority of us use forms and some use lower padding to achieve the right shape for the clothes we choose to buy .

Micki ,
    I've noticed a big change in choice of models in the last year or so , so many now are aiming at the fuller figure as so many in realty have a more ample figure , I guess the clothing suppliers have had to get wise and realise not much point showing clothes in a size zero when far less are buying them .

Sherry is right , there are now trans women who professionally model and why not ?

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Actually, there used to be a T girl here that was an early model for a Trans Female clothing site. She looked completely fem and attractive!
    That was CDTiffany. She did some modeling for the Suddenly Fem catalog. She could really rock the "sissy" look, too.

I think the biggest reason is image.
    Think about it...here we are desiring to look feminine and present as women and the site shows us some body builder wearing lingerie.
    Ewwww no thank you. Show me someone that the clothes fit properly to give me a glimmer of hope that I could look like that in those clothes.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I haven't seen that. Which CD stores are they?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Apart from a wig I have never bought clothes from any CD site and i am 6' 7",209 lbs and so far been very successful, plus i have bought some amazing bargains in the sales!!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I checked a few crossdresser sites but decided that peplum dresses were not my thing and switched to women clothing. I guess I want to dress in female clothes not male clothes that look female. Like some said I am aiming for a female look so in my case I want female models. I can more or less translate how it will look on me. Choosing adequate sizes is a bit of a challenge because makers clearly all have personal takes on what an inch represents in real life, but all in all I didn't have to return much stuff so not complaining. Also, since I started buying my own stuff I discovered the incredible variety of shapes and finishes of women clothing sections compared to the male's, and although being sometimes lost with the sheer number of items, I found it was much more fun to browse the first than the latter.