Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Hair

My hair used to be crazy thick when I was younger but now it's quickly thinning on the front and my hairline has been creeping back for years. Trying to grow it long just won't work.

Your mileage may vary, but you may look feminine without a long hair. The problem with most of us is the clearing in the back. If you grow your hair it becomes more visible.

Long hair is great on the right head shape, but it doesn't automatically give everyone a more feminine appearance or even make you look cool, as anyone who followed rock music from the late 60s to the late 70s clearly knows. I let my covid grey hair grow 10 months, mainly because only my wife was looking, and finally had it cut after my wife commented, quite honestly, that I looked more like a hobo/tramp/bum than a rake. When I seriously looked in the mirror, and we must be careful as mirrors can lie, I knew she was right. And, in the last month or two of long hair I kept seeing clips of people who rocked long hair (Jeff Bridges "The Dude", Eddie Van Halen RIP, John Mellencamp and Jon Bon Jovi) that are now wearing it short.

I'm sticking with wigs for CD adventures.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 02-08-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Board-Certified Shaman LaSirenaBella's Avatar
    My homegrown hair remains short, and I actually have the thinning shaved down because I wear a top piece when in default mode. It's store-bought hair in either mode, for me, one way or another.
    Sirena Rivera
    "Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing." - Theodor S. Geisel

The last couple of times I tried growing my hair out I gave up at a certain point. Part of the problem is that it waves out like wings as it grows longer. It's starting to grow over the tops of my ears right now.

BTW, I've been cutting my own hair for about 10 years.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Aspiring Member
    What is this "hair" thing you speak of?

Like some of you I had thick wavy hair once upon a time. Now I don't. I essentially give myself a buzz cut every two weeks for male mode, and wear a wig, or for just putzing around the house, a light headscarf (much more comfortable in hot weather). I tend to just wear the wig for going out.

Mine is short. I like it that way, it is so easy to take care of. It has been as long as my profile pic, now I wear a wig of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    The last couple of times I tried growing my hair out I gave up at a certain point. Part of the problem is that it waves out like wings as it grows longer. It's starting to grow over the tops of my ears right now.

BTW, I've been cutting my own hair for about 10 years.
    I had this too, but got past the wings stage back when many things were closed and I could allow it to grow long enough that gravity kicked in.

Reality Check
    I suppose different countries have different quarantine rules, but where I live, salons are open with certain restrictions and I have no trouble getting my hair cut. I have normal "male" length hair and wear a wig as Krisi. This gives me both a different style and a different color than my male self.
    Krisi

14 inch pony tail. I've been growing it for about 3 years.
    Trimmed 2 inches off a couple of times.
    Keely

One of the Reds

I stop cutting my hair like 4 years ago and was one of the first things towards making visible my come out.

I just cut the tips twice to arrange it.

I had received so many compliments.....

How long? Judge by yourself...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Prior to the start of the pandemic I was considering growing out my hair. At my last haircut, I told the stylist this and I wanted a cut that I can maybe grow out and be able style it according to my mode. She knew exactly what I was talking about and gave me something I could work with. She also gave me some ideas on how I could wear it guy or girl mode. Well that was at the end of last February and little did I know at the time that would be my last haircut.

In the year since my last haircut, I've had a love, hate relationship with my hair as it grew out. Fortunately, my wife likes long hair on men although she does admit I look better with short hair. She did say the other day that she thinks I would look bada$$ with my hair in a ponytail and earings. My hair is long enough now that I have to wear a hairband to keep it out of my eyes and it looks rather femme. If I need to be in guy mode, I either pull it back in a lame excuse for a ponytail or put a ski hat on.

If there is only thing I absolutely love about having long hair it would have to be feeling it move with me. I'm not sure whether I'll keep it whe the pandemic is over. I want to at least have it professionally styled, enfemme, once before I decide.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

It's a little more than half-way down my back. I haven't worn a wig in quite awhile (yes my pic is a bit out of date.)

Platinum Member
    Hi Debs , At 78 I still have a full head of hair, But it is always short Male haircut,

I have about 15 wigs for Dress up , >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I too am sporting the "Covid Cut" - not having had it touched in about a year now.
    It's pretty much down to my collar these days and I can pull MOST of it back into a pony, with only some wisps up front that still don't quite reach. I tuck these behind my ears when I'm tied back.
    Mostly though, I'll "let it all hang out." Too bad it's so thin, fine, and flat.

Banned Read only
    I'm letting mine grow out, however it's slow progress - I'm getting the usual half and inch a month. It's going to be at least another 4-6 weeks before I get it trimmed, so I'll be beyond my eyebrows for my fringe.

If I lengthen my hair using faceapp, this is my natural look - very different to my current presentation with my wig, and far closer to my male appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am with Karren!!!

COVID has been a great excuse to let my hair grow for a year. But alas, like many previous posters over the years the hair has gotten too fine and a bit too thin on top. I thought about Rogain .... but that would only be a temporary fix. Wigs it's is!

LOL... my hair is so long now that I've got the Covid flip! LOL>
    Last edited by Ozark; 02-11-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqueen70 View Post
    COVID has been a great excuse to let my hair grow for a year. But alas, like many previous posters over the years the hair has gotten too fine and a bit too thin on top. I thought about Rogain .... but that would only be a temporary fix. Wigs it's is!
    Rogain is as temporary as your continuity of use. You can get the generic version for next to nothing and, as long as you apply the stuff consistently, the impact is very real. My hairline is 100% appropriate for a man my age and if I were to let my hair grow long I would look like a 1970s pop singer. Wigs it is.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    BTW, I just finally updated my avatar to reflect my own long grey hair ... and female eye glasses.

At 73 years old, at least I still have a full head of hair.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 02-12-2021 at 11:31 PM.

After 40+ Years of short hair, I finally let it go. Didn?t cut it from November ?19 - Oct ?20. It was already longer on top so I was able to get it all into a pony or thick man bun. I cut it for a few reasons and my wife was sad I did so. Honestly it was soooo hard to cut and I didn?t get over it for a month. Pretty pathetic that I let it bother me like that. It?s just that I wanted it so bad, and just as I was able to really enjoy it, I cut it. This cut wasn?t crazy short though, so now that it?s been nearly five months, I?m chasing that pony again. The wife braids it and I?m hoping to keep it for reals this time.

I keep kicking myself for cutting it, because Covid is still out there, at at this point it would?ve been probably 13-15? long and lovely. I hope I can do it. Biggest issue is work, as I?m in business, and not another soul has long hair. A couple women have encouraged me to do it and have said ?so what, let it go. When you have it, enjoy it!? It is a bit annoying that guys can do the beard thing, and are actually quite sloppy looking...so why not long hair, if I keep it nice?

I have noticed though that people are kinda getting used to it being longer, so that may help. The biggest thing is keeping it styled and trimmed appropriately, so that it?s shaped right...and then over time, just keep it going. With this approach I should have my full hair into a bun by July. Hoping to return and report!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCD View Post
    I'm letting mine grow out, however it's slow progress - I'm getting the usual half and inch a month. It's going to be at least another 4-6 weeks before I get it trimmed, so I'll be beyond my eyebrows for my fringe.

If I lengthen my hair using faceapp, this is my natural look - very different to my current presentation with my wig, and far closer to my male appearance.
    Mine is currently like yours...a little fuller and about two three inches shorter (basically a short bob at my mouth length)...you and I have similar face shape, so honestly a bob is a decent look. For “passing” bangs are preferred to help the brow, but there’s no way, I’d get bangs....maybe some longer layers to frame the face, but couldn’t do the bangs...I will say that I, my wife, and my friends were surprised how good I looked with my hair tied back. You can’t get that look my just brushing the hair back or wearing a hair band. Tying it back actually gives a softer feel, if done right. Even my conservative father liked it, so yeah, totally pissed that I cut it last year.

My plan was to have long hair before end of Covid...there would be no time to hear “you need a haircut, etc” because it would already be at length. I HOPE to still have enough length to play that strategy.

People sometimes like change...which is why women and men often get compliments for the sudden change in getting a short hair cut. If they see you gradually change w/long hair, the effect isn’t as strong.

Good luck Charlotte

At 66 years old, I have unbelievably soft, thick, beautiful silver/white and now shoulder length hair. Women are jealous. Unfortunately, I have bird legs, duck feet, an eagle beak, and enough chins for three people. I am also as big and graceful as a moose. Passing from a hair standpoint is easy. The rest is hopeless.

Note: My apologies to any animals offended by this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    What hair? Sigh.
    I'm in the same situation, what hair. My saying is "If God wants me to be bald, then I'll be bald".

I grew my hair out to shoulder blade length as soon as I retired 10 years ago. I mostly wore a pony tail, but would style it when dressed. I was getting a prescription filled and looked in the video monitor and saw a great deal of scalp in what i thought was a full head of hair. My hair, always fine, had become so much so as to reveal way too much scalp. I was able to use mousse and hair spray to make it appear thicker, but then it was difficult to put in a pony tail.
    About a year ago I decided it was becoming too much trouble, so I had it cut short. Unfortunately, the Chinese barber, the only one I could find in my new location, spoke limited English and didn't understand my instructions and cut it way too short. Then COVID kicked in so I haven't cut it since and it's about collar length now; I'll probably keep it long.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)