Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on feelings

Katya,

Why, yes, of course! I am pleased to help in any way I can.

All the best,

A.
    Last edited by Ann Louise; 02-14-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Aspiring Member
    If a therapist came out and called me "gay" I'd seriously question her understanding and ability to deal with LGBQT issues. Unless by "gay" she means "clearly you're a lesbian..."

As for male vs. female, I've been to both. My female therapist referred me to a young male therapist for my HRT letter as he was WPATH-certified. He was completely professional, empathetic, and non-judgmental. He assumed that if I was there after a longish run with a therapist who referred me to him, then I knew what I wanted/needed and after one session he wrote the letter. I too preferred female therapists up until that point, but my experience with him was very positive so I'm no longer willing to generalize.

I think familiarity with LGBQT issues and the ability to help you see the obvious when shame and the lack of self-acceptance cloud your own perception of yourself are what matter most, not gender.

An "aha" moment for me was when I went dressed to my therapist for the first time. I asked her at the end of our session "who she saw sitting in front of her" and she answered "a woman". It was unequivocal, and unqualified, simply "a woman". The second "aha" moment was when I went to an office supply store dressed in a casual summer dress when the cashier said "thank you ma'am". I was deep in my bubble when she said that and it hit me smack in the face. A wake up call as it were.