Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do at the thrift store?

I have shopped at thrift stores quite a bit and possibly one of my best CD shopping experiences ever was at the Goodwill not too far from where I work.
    We had gotten an unexpected half day off with pay thanks ot the city utilities cutting the power to the whole building and I decided to go shopping for a new skirt. Now thrift stores are kind of hit or miss but I had time to browse and to try some things on, sorting through all the mis-sized pieces hung in the wrong place and dealing with the frustration that the really cute stuff I liked always seemed to be a couple sizes too small, all the standard thrift store experiences.
    I was in the changing room with my latest candidates when someone, I never found out who but believe it was the lady restocking all of my rejects, laid a khaki skirt over the top of the changing room door, I waited for a few minutes expecting it to disappear and even opened the door to see who it might belong to; there was no one in sight, so I tried it on. It fits perfectly, notice I said fits and not fit. It is possibly my favorite skirt and was found for me by a thrift store angel.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Charity shop ( UK ) i went in ( in drab ) & enquired about a pair of long evening gloves in the window. S/A got them out of the window, no way would they fit my ( big ) hands. The S/A looking at me said " i am worried about you" i knew what she was thinking.....
    My reply -- you should worry about yourself ! your wearing "Bob the builder " boots ,trousers, short cropped hair .... she stood for a moment ( could hear the wheels turning in her head ! ) she flung the gloves down & shouted to her mate -- you serve him ,i wont ... another customer standinby me was in tucks ! ( laughing ).
    Another story ,- Franchise in a supermarket selling shoes, i was looking for a pair of purple shoes for my daughter. S/A offered to help only to find no size 6 available. She moved away to help another costomer, i carried on looking. Later i aproached the counter with a pair of purple shoes in my hand. Ah says the S/A you found a pair - no says i -- these are for me ......... the rest of the transaction was carried out in silence.........
    Liz

well i price products, help customers, take in donations, swiffer the floors, pick up supplies for the store and share my"self" with anyone who listens, just to name a few....friendly atmosphere and i dress as myself....amazed at what folks donate....good and bad.....center square in belmar nj....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I have mostly had excellent experiences in thrift stores. I do remember one guy in a Goodwill who kept trying to direct me to the men's section. I just ignored him

I mostly buy women's clothes and have gotten some great buys, mostly for myself but for resale as well

No bad experiences, was read once, a pleasant encounter.

Nice dresses that appeal to me can be good economy. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Love going to the thrift stores can find alot of nice tops and pants and shoes never bought any bras never in my size either

Platinum Member
    I don't do dress shopping at Goodwill. With over 160 dresses I really do not need anymore. I have never gone shopping in female mode. I have bought feminine attire in male mode. Several times around Halloween I purchased heels at Payless and was treated great. Even a male manager tried to get me to buy one and get one half price. If I would have jumped at the sale I was sure it would have been a giveaway. He even tried to get me to buy hosiery. At another Payless a female sales associate was very helpful and pleasant. When picking up dresses at a "will call" counter I have always been treated cordially and with casual conversation..I get some remarks about the huge mark downs; a $70 dress at 80%. It always seems the younger the sales associate the friendlier.

The only times I have had snarky or unpleasant encounters, it has always been with older women. I think they were from the by-gone years when anything out of the ordinary was viewed with negativity. Once I went into A Catherine's to buy a set of my favorite full slips in black and white. I could see the rack by the window when I approached. When I entered the store it was as if space aliens had invaded. I was dressed in business attire; shirt and tie, slacks, shaved. Two women were so edgy it was bordering on rudeness. At three other Catherine's I was treated as a valued customer. They were friendly. Once at a JC Penny I bought a Vanity Fair foundation half slip. An older woman gave me a snarky comment, "Oh, you even got the right size!"

Over the years I worked cash registers and I know how boring and mundane things can get. I always chat a cashier up. After awhile some are like family. My favorite I have known since 1976. My advice is to never talk down to anyone. Sometimes a brief word, even to the average person on the street, will wake them out of a funk.

Silver Member
    She probably didn't mean anything by what she said. She may or may not have read you anyway, which happens to most of us.