Thread: Mistaken for makeup artist/sales associate/employee

Mistaken for makeup artist/sales associate/employee

Hello, I am delighted to share that last weekend I was mistaken for a sales associate at Morphe which is a makeup store that sells great brushes and makeup for a very reasonable price. It is such a huge compliment for me that these girls shopping there approached me for help but I do not work there. I have also had great experiences with the staff here and at other locations. On multiple visits, I've been complimented for my outfit and on this particular one, the sales associate told me her name and asked for mine, she was such a beautiful girl.

Over the years I have been mistaken for a sales associate for many stores that I shop in since I do like to dress up when I go out shopping. It happens that I wear black and for a lot of stores, that is the usual dress code or theme. I've spent 5 years in retail working at Forever 21 and was also mistaken for a sales associate even as a boy years ago. Its such a great feeling and I do miss working retail. Have a nice day
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

What a great life
    That is very nice thanks for sharing. Very lucky girl.

Joanna, That's great.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Could you share photos of yourself? I really appreciate seeing makeup, and clothing done well.
    Inside my heart is breaking
    My make-up may be flaking
    But my smile still stays on

Banned Read only
    Joanna,
    Perhaps the funniest story about being taken as a SA goes back a few years . I was shopping in a large department store ( BHS ) now long gone in male mode , this store packed stockings in triple packs with a choice of four shades in three sizes . The problem was they mixed them in the same racks with tights and other hosiery items , I was trashing the display in my search for the various shades in a medium size when an old couple approached me . The husband asked if I could help with choosing a corset for his wife , I apologised by saying I wasn't a SA and was a customer simply looking for stockings . With that the couple looked at each other and walked away as they did so I heard the husband say , " Well at least he could have helped you with your corset !"

This one isn't connected with retail shopping but my painting group . The sessions started at 10.00am but I always arrived early to set the tables and chairs out and place easels for the members who usually work off them . A new female member entered the room early and shook my hand , introduced herself and began to ask questions about the subject matter and what materials were available , I answered her questions then realised she thought I was the tutor , we had a laugh about her mistake . It was a nice feeling for me because I would like to run my own art group as Teresa and she obviously had no problems with me . If I recall my avatar picture may have been taken later that morning in the art room by a friend .

Banned Read only
    I went back and looked at some of your picture postings. I definitely see why you'd be identified as an employee. You have all the assets. There were times when I stopped off at a retail store after work while still wearing business attire and would be approached as an employee. Certain stores have business attire dress codes rather than giving out Target or Wal-mart attire. If you look the part, someone's going to approach you.

Nice. I'd love to be mistaken that way.

Just being asked my opinion on clothing in a store gives me a rush. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    I have been mistaken for a sales associate at the home center, but never at a clothing or makeup store.
    Krisi

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie MA View Post
    Could you share photos of yourself? I really appreciate seeing makeup, and clothing done well.
    Of course, I still have photos from threads I posted, you can look at my profile to see them.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress