Thread: Is it genetic?

Is it genetic?

First of all, let me just say that I'm just posting these threads to encourage discussion. I don't know why I'm TG, and I don't really care. As an engineer, it's just logical to me to search for the root cause.

As we all know, XX chromosomes are girls and XY chromosomes are boys, But, there are more variations than XX and XY, like multiple X's or Y's. I think the one most of us have heard of is Klinefelter's which is XXY. This occurs in 1 of 500 births. There are also other triplet variations, plus some singlet variations with a missing sex chromosome (X).

I personally have something even weider. My cells are mosaiced, which means that not all of the cells have the same genetic makeup. Technically, I'm 96% XY and 4% XXY. This is not something that I learned in biology class. How do I know this? After having one normal baby, my wife and I started trying for baby number 2. The first miscarriage was just an oops. The doctor didn't suggest anything except to try again. After the second miscarriage 4 months later, we captured the fetal matter and had a genetic analysis performed. Turned out that the fetus was trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome), and it naturally miscarried.

Then I got some genetic testing, where I found out that I was mosaiced. My wife was 37 at the time, so she was probably starting to run on empty. We ended up with 4 confirmed miscarriages over 2 years, and maybe a couple of early first trimester miscarriages when my wife ended up being two to 3 weeks late.

We never did have that second child. They don't call it the miracle of childbirth for nothing.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Read only
    Steffi,
    Sometimes we have to consider how lucky we are and take good care of what we have .

My wife almost miscarried at three months with both my children , she then decided to be steralised and in doing so they told her she was lucky to have conceived as she only had one functioning ovary .

At times it is the sad part of being TG , some lose even those precious contacts in the process of finding themselves . I consider myself very lucky that I have not lost my daughter and my son is coming round . I admit I do care about my family , it's the only one I have , I won't be having another .

It's good to know your medical history as it does begin to explain the way you are , such is life !!

Banned Read only
    I've often wondered about if there is a genetic element.

My dad makes all kinds of crossdressing jokes, and hasn't had any issue with dressing as a woman as a laugh for themed party nights. Plenty of the comments are the types of things that I would possibly say when hinting to people.

Equally though, he has however made comments about how transexuals will always be just a MIAD, it's ridiculous, and they'll never pass if they're built like a linebacker and talk like Barry white. Some say he doth protest too much.

I'd by 99.9% sure he's just joking about this stuff, and about 90% sure that he's made anti-trans comments as part of trying to steer me down the right path.

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    Interesting point about what comments a dad would make .

Mine died at 53 and I could imagine he would be like your dad and probably worse . My mum is still going stong at 91 and now accepts me as Terri so I had the conversation with her over what dad might have thought , she replied , " You'd be surprised !" I didn't pursue the issue but I was totally surprised by her answer , it still intrigues me what she meant .

Platinum Member
    As to Steffi's, assertion about genetics I do agree there must be some genetic component to the wide range of sexual identity and sexual orientation. Children are born with a "clean slate." Whatever ideas they acquire is through observation and nurturing or lack thereof. Unlike many on this site I did not have a sister or female cousin or aunt or anyone who dressed me in female clothing. I grew up in a neighborhood top heavy with boys. Girls were not worth the time of day. It was rolling in the dirt, playing sports, etc. I do remember in kindergarten my teacher made a comment about my cowboy shirt and called it a "blouse." I informed her it was "a shirt!" I guess at age five I knew the difference in clothing as it pertained to boys and girls, but, not much more. No playing doctor or anything like that. I did like the nylon material of my mother's full slips that she hung in the bathroom to dry. I did end up trying them on and later her nylon nightgown as I liked the feel of the material. There was no thoughts of being a female.

Puberty hit and things changed. Raging hormones. In the 1950's and 1960's being a homosexual or anything other than pure man was deemed to be negative. The educational process on the street was a male who wore women's clothing was a homosexual and that made the guy fair game for all sorts of negative behavior; discrimination and violence. So, why would a boy be drawn to wearing his mother's clothing when the deck would be stacked against him if it were to be found out? It makes no sense to me that I would have chosen that path. It was totally confusing because I lusted after girls and unobtainable starlets.

The nurturing part was part of the problem. There is negative "nurturing." From what was said during my upbringing I surmised what I was doing was wrong. I was destined to go to hell. And get beat up. I believe nobody would willingly choose to be a societal outcast. It is all evident those who are so afflicted try to fit in and that usually includes outwardly condemning who they are. They join the herd. My parents openly made negative comments about homosexuals when they saw man on man affection. Or, if a guy had long hair. My father was raised with no male in the home other than his older brothers. He learned his behavior on the street. If a parent throws out negativity towards sexual diversity it may be due to not understanding what it is all about and wishes to stern his kid's behavior to societal norms. Rather than coaxing me in that direction I am sure my butt would have been beaten with a belt. I had felt the belt for other reasons.

As to Teresa's comments I think family rejection is in part due to societal upbringing. Ignorance. Show rejection because others may think you had some hand in creating this abnormal or non conforming person.

Genetic?
    Perhaps sometimes yes, sometimes not. Until someone starts trying to breed crossdressers, I guess we won't know!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I believe there must be at least some genetic reason for it. And environmental, and experiencial reasons for it. I was picked on terribly, at home by my older brothers, and picked on terrible from kindergarten through sophomore yr of high school, and on jobs i had.. i know now, I am odd, a HSP (highly sensitive person), and have been badly traumatized by family, and others. I am not much like other men. I have not had a steady girlfriend ever, and no chance to date now. I always felt normal love was for normals, not for me, and i felt unworthy of love, and was scared of women a lot, until later in life, but, is still fear the anger of women. I felt like part woman though, but i fought my urge to dress up , after raiding my sister and moms things and putting them on , about age 13. Later in life, it came back stronger, and in my early 50ś bought my first dresses, heels, wig, jewelry, and lots of hose. I went out a number of times in my 50ś and early 60ś , then purged due to religious guilt ans shame, and my emotional illness, and isolation, hoping to never dress again, 3 yrs ago. Hoping to be a better man, albeit, and old odd bachelor with no women friends in my new region. But, it came back, and i now have 10 dresses, and 2 pairs of heels, wigs, jewelry. I will always be conflicted over it all, until i am too old and ill, or dead.

There is always this strange little dance between the psyche and the physical in our brains where nobody still knows who is leading and who is following.

I believe that everyone is born with full potential to be perfectly bisexual and nongendered, and that the rest is baggage we pick up on the way.

When I look at reasons, for why 'we' do what we do, I usually end up with terms like 'Anima' as the most viable, even if that kind of terminology does head down a paradoxical road.

Any language that suggests that I, as an individual, am not in total control of my identity and my destiny, due to physical birth defected reasons, I reject outright.
    Last edited by Wen4cd; 02-21-2021 at 08:42 PM.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?