Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Womens Magazines....

Womens Magazines....

Just wondering if anyone here reads or subscribes to women oriented magazines?
    Ya know Cosmopolitan, Women's Day, Glamour, People, Good Housekeeping, Vanity Fair?
    My wife subscribes to a few and some are stuffed in our rack in the washroom.
    Since I am retired and my wife still works, I am the homemaker and chief bottlewasher....
    I get a chance to read articles, see the advertisements for make-up and OH.... scratch-n-sniff Perfume!"
    So I get a kick out of "flipping" thru the pages.
    I seem to be enjoying Womens Day magazine, the most, as I like the recipes, homemaking, and dabbling in flower arrangements and redecorating.
    I just finished painting our living room and look for inspiration decorating, our fresh looking room.

When I was at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago, I saw a womens magazine called, Guitar Girl, so I bought it.
    Interesting take on the feminine side of sex appeal in singing and playing guitar, something I dabble in as a hobby.
    It highlights women musicians as semi pro's or girls and women, jamming just for fun.
    I few girls I found on youtube and OMG, there are some hotties playing very good music.
    I often am dressed in a skirt and heels while playing guitar, during the day, while the wife is at work and I am home alone.
    So seeing these girls was an inspiration!
    I found a few ads with cute guitar straps too...though I am not too sure what my wife would think of a lace and flowery pink guitar strap?!?!
    DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED with the darling Guitar print dresses, blouses and skirts ... musical note high heels anyone?!?! ...OH MY!

Any ladies magazines inspiring you?
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Silver Member
    In our house we used to subscribe to several women's magazines. Over time we have dropped several due to lack of interest in their content. We liked them when they showed coming fashions, but I don't care about their love life. We get a lot of ads and share them. The internet has killed the catalog industry.

The only one that I subscribe to is Vanity Fair. VF seem to have a variety of articles that are well researched. Many traditional women's magazines are mostly advertisements and thin articles about things that are of no interest to me. (I hate to cook, so that leaves out recipes, lol!) I'm glad that you enjoy those magazines, Candy.
    Last edited by char GG; 02-21-2021 at 09:40 PM.

I used to read them at the YMCA while using the elliptical or exercise bike, back in the pre-historic days before phones and tablets (and pre-pandemic). The common ones were Redbook, Cosmo, and exercise magazines that feature women, like Self.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Now that my ex, (long ago), and adult daughter have moved out, I don't get to scan their mags for fashion ideas and sexy looks to copy!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I used to read them when I was younger and my Mum/Sister would have them in the house. I still read women's health magazine when my wife buys it.

As a child I flipped through my mother's women magazines. But only to calculate the ratio of editorial content vs advertising. Came to the same conclusions as Char. It was mostly advertising and a few articles used as an excuse for a magazine. I wondered why a woman would want to read that, unless she was mostly interested in clothing and perfume. These magazines were very similar to "men's" magazines of the time, except the latter had less advertising and more scantily clad ladies.., In retrospect, I realize that in the first, women learned how to dress to please their man, and in the second, men learned to look at other women. Most of these magazines were owned by men, even if the editorial staff could be feminine. Which reminds me, I twice worked for a summer job in the subscription department of a big press editor who owned several women's magazines, including a very famous one. The local director was a man and was most of the time working at another premises, making only brief appearances once or twice a week (an assistant director woman was actually managing the staff), chatting with me only to make scornful remarks about the female workers there. 80% of the time I was the only guy working there, with maybe 40 female colleagues. I did two months there in total, and despite what a lot of people say about women working together, it was a nice atmosphere and a cool workplace to be. One month I worked in the accounting section with a team of 7 or 8 woman sitting with me around the same table. They talked and joked all day long and it was a blast. And you know what? While talking and joking, they worked so fast that I remember, at 17, not being able to keep up with them despite all my efforts to perform well. One day I came in at work not feeling well and had to be excused at variable intervals. They covered for me and even did my part of the job when I couldn't. They were great professionals, and simply the nicest and most gentle bunch of colleagues I ever had. I remember them fondly, since I never had the chance to work in a workplace with a majority of females since.
    Last edited by DianeT; 02-22-2021 at 02:28 AM.

Not a magazine per se but I loved checking out the Sears catalog and can still remember how I enjoyed it.
    Crissy

Platinum Member
    Hi Candice , I like to look at the magazines and catalogs myWife receives,

Sometimes when she orders from the clothing catalogs I will order a new top, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    Candy,
    These magazines in waiting rooms are usually an indication of the hobby of the doctor , dentist or hairdresser . It was car magazines in the barbers shop , fly fishing in the dentist and I'd better not repeat what I found in the doctor's waiting room !

I had to smile at you comment about scratch and sniff , I did that with a magazine in my dentist waiting room but managed to get my nose too close , I'm not sure what the dentist thought to be so close to the clear smell of perfume .

As for magazine choice , celebrity ones leave me cold , I guess I'm like Char I like a good cross section but I don't mind the cookery artilcles as I quite like cooking . Some of the fashion pages leave me thinking what GGs would ever wear something like that and some of the makeup tips don't specify age group .

I often look at the pictures of clothing styles, good thing I can't read so all the gossip mags get the flick. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I am used to read every kind of magazines either they are of women, men or any other one but now I am bored from that. Because internet has all the information

Like Crissy, the Sears catalog was an excellent source and inspiring. The lingerie section became a bit more worn than other parts. No doubt that was due to a bit of a lower quality paper, uh, maybe. ;-) But once in awhile I would pick up one of my mother's magazines. I mostly looked at the pictures and dreamed of me being them years into the future. They say a child with a healthy imagination is a good asset. I have this suspicion it depends on what the imagination creates. Ahem. On the other hand it may also bring out some key elements of the child's personality and identity in a more defined way and faster than usual. THAT'S FOR SURE!

My wife doesn’t like women’s magazines. I subscribe to several. My favorite is Marie Clare.

Reality Check
    I don't subscribe to any women's magazines. Nor do I read them.
    Krisi

Aspiring Member
    Candy,
    Several years ago I subscribed to Redbook Magazine, which I liked. When Redbook went digital only, the publisher sent Woman's Day. I usually browse and read an article - sometimes two that gets my attention. Unfortunately. today most magazines are difficult for me to read due to printing techniques and my deteriorating vision. I will probably let the WD subscription expire.

Char,
    I am with you on the magazine's recipes and cooking.

I do get catalogs from places like Venus and Victoria's Secret that I enjoy perusing, does that count?
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

I am a crossdresser but I spent 69 years living a male life. When the clothes revert back to drab there is no trace of femininity in my day to day life except for the shaving and pruning myself more than a typical guy would.

I have paged through my wife?s Cosmo back in our younger days while she got them but only because it was the lone magazine within arms reach in the bathroom.

I don?t act feminine when not dressed but as I have pointed out before neither do most of the GGs in my orbit. Actually that is one thing of the reasons I don?t go out in public. I am a bad actor with no like minded friends to share the experience. I would be alone and obvious.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

PS, the Sears, Wards and JC Penny catalogs were only a thing until I saw my first Playboy.

Pretty pandemic my wife would bring some magazines home from the dental practice where she works. Usually Good Housekeeping and Cosmopolitan. But now they don't have any and all I do get to read is her monthly journal from the Women's Institute though. Thank goodness for my Volksworld mag.

Admittedly I have purchased vanity fair for my wife even though she does not care for it.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I read them at my friends house, more just flipping the pages looking at the latest fashion.

You can do the same with Pinterest.

And I'm not liking this new puffy sleeve look. I don't think it's a good look for me. I know it's a bit of a selfish view.

As Char says, they are mostly adds.

Platinum Member
    My wife cancelled all her subscriptions because there are now way too many advertisements and few articles.

We don't subscribe to any magazines.
    But ... when I go somewhere like the Dr or Dentist and the waiting room has them that's generally all I will read.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

No woman?s magazines, but I find Pinterest to be interesting. A great source for putting together outfits.

I don't do any of the women's magazines. But, I do agree with some of the comments that pinterest is great for me on fashion, makeup etc.