Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK national census due in March , how trans are you ?

Banned Read only
    Update to census dilemma,

I've just received my password notification in the post .
    In the information leaflet it states quite clearly that it must be completed by law if you do not or supply false information you could be fined up to ?1.000.00 . Some questions are clearly labelled as voluntary , it is not an offence if these aren't answered .

In a sectioned titled , " Answering separately from you household " . It states a second access code can be requested so a separate form can be completed .

So to answer my own question the UK government has obviously thought the implications through and offered an alternative solution .

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    I went online and filled out the UK census form yesterday. The questions on Gender are optional. I declined to answer them.

Banned Read only
    Jane thanks for your comments .

How do you feel about not answering the gender questions bearing in mind it's to assess what support the government needs to put in place for the future .

hello Teresa and all,
    I have just completed my census form.
    the questions about sexuality and trans-ness are optional - you can skip them.
    But, you might prefer to answer so that your descendants can read it in 100 years' time!
    stay healthy,
    Luv J

Banned Read only
    Jacques,
    I certainly won't have second thoughts about that , I'm not ashamed being TG even if it's down in history , besides they all know now anyway .

We complain about not being accepted, have no real idea of what our total population is, we want services from the Government to assist us and make our lives more livable, and then we do not want to help ourselves and others like us out, so, we lie on the questions or just do not answer them. I get it if one is in the closety and has someone looking over their shoulder while filling it out.

Theresa,

You are surprising me with your "Male" answer. You have been calling yourself a full time woman for a few years now, are intelligent and then create a poor excuse why you will answer male! If the question is how you were labeled at birth or what is on your legal documents, I get it. The Government needs statistics and this is the perfect place to be honest and help yourself and all other struggling transgender people out. Be honest, don't lie.

Platinum Member
    Teresa, the questions and explanation of the questions is on-line.

I accessed the Brit census. It does indicate some questions are voluntary. I guess that would pose a question if your wife is sitting next to you. You could jointly say it is none of the government's business. The census also states someone has to complete the "household" questions. It also states one can request and get a separate access code to answer the census and that fact will not be shared with anyone else in the household, etc. Do you really know how your wife will answer? Are you making the assumption if she rails against cross dressing does that preclude she may identify as transgender, lesbian, whatever? Me? If I was to answer the Brit census I would indicate I was straight heterosexual. I find no conflict with my sexual preference or sexual identity. My problem is dealing with people who have a problem dealing with who I am.

Our military, once again, is allowing transgender men and women to serve, and, therefore, the Department of Veterans' Affairs has an interest in gathering information to prepare for servicing those veterans.

Banned Read only
    Allie,
    I haven't made an official gender change so I have to honestly answer " male at birth " otherwise it would be a false declaration , so I don't consider it a poor excuse . The fact I have the freedom to state my adopted gender now is the important point and that is my point when I posted this thread .

Stephanie,
    I see it as self defeating by declaring it none of the government's business , this is an ideal opportunity for the TG community and other minority groups in the UK .

Personally all this isn't a problem for me as I now live alone , what answers my ex-wife is making is none of my business as she also lives alone .

A conflict could arise if the the TG person ( male or female ) in the household wishes to make a true declaration on sexual preferences or gender and the partner objects to it . As I discovered you can request a second password and make a separate declaration but then it's back to my question who do you choose to lie to , your wife/partner or the government ?

Platinum Member
    Teresa, I stated the census allows anyone to ask for and receive a separate access code that would not be shared with anyone else. I said, if a husband and wife were to by-pass the question, there is still the opportunity to answer the questions separately. Presumably, sexual identity and sexual orientation questions can be answered in that manner. A secret is best shared with nobody.

Just out of curiosity, do you think some people are afraid to be truthful or will not be truthful with this census form? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    We complain about not being accepted, have no real idea of what our total population is, we want services from the Government to assist us and make our lives more livable, and then we do not want to help ourselves and others like us out, so, we lie on the questions or just do not answer them. I get it if one is in the closety and has someone looking over their shoulder while filling it out.

Theresa,

You are surprising me with your "Male" answer. You have been calling yourself a full time woman for a few years now, are intelligent and then create a poor excuse why you will answer male! If the question is how you were labeled at birth or what is on your legal documents, I get it. The Government needs statistics and this is the perfect place to be honest and help yourself and all other struggling transgender people out. Be honest, don't lie.
    This is exactly howI feel .
    I just do not understand the need to lie, it is not like you are married and hiding it.
    How else are things to change when it is hidden you even exist?
    Is it shame?
    Is it from hiding yourself all these years?
    Why is this even such a big deal?
    Sad really.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

I always immediately place the census form directly into the rubbish bin where it belongs. I will not be a statistic, and want no intrusion, prying, or 'assistance' from any government. The narrative that they are doing this to assist you some way is always a lie. It's just a huge data-grab and I won't be a part of it
    Last edited by Wen4cd; 03-05-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Sadly throwing the form in the bin is not an option.

You could be fined 1000 GB Pounds or $ 1400 usd
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Yep, I think that your idea is clear enough

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Perhaps I am wimping out, by not answering them. But I have chosen to support my wife and her me, as we age. I think we both understand who I am, after 30+ years together. Life will never be simple or straight forward. I have known from a young age that the inner me is female. But, like all those in a similar position, I have had to manage that against opportunity. My wife and I are a unit. I think we always will be. Our individual wants and needs are less important that what we are able to give each other.

Banned Read only
    Char,
    I do feel some people will chose not to answer questions if it could cause problems within the household , Jane makes that point .

Even if some consider themselves TG they may prefer to remain hidden in the closet rather than admit to a formal government document . While we are assured the information is secure and treated in confidence , I do feel these days people don't feel assured that fact is true , hacks and leaks occur at all levels . Computers sent for scrap apparently cleared of all information only to find the NHS and some financial institutions had scams appear through the the information being retrieved .

Perhaps some people in the UK have their doubts about the government's intentions , I hope I'm not being naive in thinking this information will benefit not only the TG communtiy but the LGBTQ communtity in general .

Platinum Member
    Char, I think some are so paranoid that someone will find out that he or she will not even answer the questions if single. I cannot image a man-woman couple sitting down and perusing and answering the questions and one spouse truthfully answers to the bewilderment of the other.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 03-07-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Banned Read only
    Stephanie,
    I can , you didn't know my wife , which is probably just as well !!

Banned Read only
    id like to answer the truth that im trans but would be afraid it would get out

Banned Read only
    Final Update,
    I sat down and completed the form this morning . Initially I ticked the box as " MALE " at birth and filled in my full male name . When I got to the gender questions I ticked the box as " TG FEMALE " . After considering for a few moments I returned the the first section and changed my name to Terri and my second name from John to Joanne . I doubt very much if I will have feedback to those changes but felt so much happier making them . I will add the section on gender issues was very limited and not what was described when the census alteration were first revealed a couple of years ago so I can only assume after consulations that section was dumbed down . The important point is they recognise the need to ask those questions .

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi75 View Post
    id like to answer the truth that im trans but would be afraid it would get out
    No chance of that. The data controls are extremely tight and any information sharing is strictly regulated. Anyone found in breach of the rules faces severe punishment.

In answering the questions I initially put down Transgender but the changed it to Gender Fluid as I felt it represented my situation more closely.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Read only
    Bobbi75,
    At some point you have to make that choice , Helen is correct ( I hope !) but it was great to openly make the statement officially , I can't say how much further my changes will be . I would like to think others made the same choice and ticked the boxes affiming their gender status .

My solution to the tricky situation was to have me and only me filling in the online form. ��

The first question was what *sex* I am, and since I haven't been reassigned then I can only say M. The second question asked what *gender* I identified with, for that I couldn't truthfully answer female since I do identify as male in a lot of everyday situations. So I wrote non binary, which is actually the first time I have admitted to anyone, including myself.
    Swottie

Banned Read only
    Swottie,
    I'm glad you answered that way , I hope more were honest , it's in our interests . For those who chose not to it's no good complaining the government isn't aware of gender needs if they don't know the correct numbers they're dealing with .