Thread: Totally taken aback.

Totally taken aback.

This is funny (to me at least). A few years ago while engaged in a different hobby, I took a trip with some guys to an outing in Kentucky. They were part of a different group than the one in which I am a member. We car pooled in three vehicles, about 4 to 6 guys in each. I had been around these guys before so we were all at ease with each other. On route, out of the blue, one guy looks at me and says, "You're a cross dresser, aren't you."

I only hope my mouth didn't actually drop like it did in my mind. My only response was "What ...?"

It turns out that among this particular group the term "cross dresser" indicated something completely unrelated to women's clothing, and was strictly used in reference to that hobby. Once explained, I had to agree that I fit their description. But, I'll never forget that feeling. Now, I chuckle at the memory.

So did he mean you were an "angry" dresser? Or a poor sport? lol
    Last edited by Karren H; 03-01-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geena75 View Post
    It turns out that among this particular group the term "cross dresser" indicated something completely unrelated to women's clothing, and was strictly used in reference to that hobby.
    I have to ask, what was the hobby?

I'm going to have to guess Cycling, wearing lycra when riding mountain bikes.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Like Pumped, I'm wondering why this "other" hobby's such a secret?

It must be really kinky if this "other" hobby is too embarrassing to be mentioned here?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Ok Geena, You know you need to finish this story right now, what the heck was it.
    Crissy

They were going to a NASCAR race and she was clearly wearing a Trans Am racing series T-shirt.
    The were headed to deer hunt and it was obvious she had her duck hunting gear on.
    She wore her bowling shirt to a golf outing.
    She had worn her crocodile Dundee hat to a poker convention.
    OH!!!! ...this is fun!
    Last edited by candykowal; 02-28-2021 at 11:48 PM.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Thanks for the note, Geena.
    I am glad you survived the experience. And your jaw did not drop open.
    So you were involved in motocross? Am I right?

Naah! Just one very angry dresser. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Me, too. Please tell us the rest of the story and the meaning of the comment. Pretty please?

One thing this drives home is to never assume something in the conversation. I've outted myself on occasion when I though the person had deduced that I was a crossdresser.

NOPE, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Reality Check
    If you're talking with a bunch of car guys the word "tranny" takes on a whole new meaning.
    Krisi

I'm a little surprised at the outpouring of curiosity. I had only intended it as an amusing story (it reminded me of the scene in "The Graduate" when Dustin Hoffman is hanging out in the hotel lobby, and Buck Henry behind the desk asks him, "Are you here for an affair?").

I don't like to be a tease, so here is the "other hobby." For more than a few years I have been active in living history. The "cross dressing" referred to in that context was a question if I also portrayed the opposing side, which I do. It's not nearly as interesting as some of your speculations. Motocross or Candy's suggestions sound much more exciting to tell about.

Avatar: not me (I wish!) racquelr's Avatar
    I guess in that context, the term "cross dresser" is not really all that different from how we use it here (dressing for the "opposite side")

Geena,
    Being a member of several living history groups over the years. I have certainly heard that expression before especially for Civil War reenacting. In that context, I guess I have crossed over myself. ��

Sarah
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Platinum Member
    Goes to show a person should express oneself in complete sentences and paragraphs and not one word answers. Sometimes one has to be a quick thinker. A good come back for "You're a cross dresser, aren't you?" could be "Only on Halloween!" Fumbling around for an answer or delaying a quick retort could lead to a person questioning the delayed response.

Quote Originally Posted by racquelr View Post
    I guess in that context, the term "cross dresser" is not really all that different from how we use it here (dressing for the "opposite side")
    Yep you are right!

I thought they went round graveyards cleaning up ( crosses on) gravestones..........

I use to call wearing lycra when bicycle riding Bicycle drag
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee