Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSA: Outed by Alexa?

We do not have Alexa but I am in a DADT marriage. About 2 years ago I was on my iPhone downstairs and my wife was on the Mac computer upstairs and it popped up with the site I was on, this one. I had not told her of this site or any similar one cause I knew she would not like it. Well it was quite the snot shower for me for a good long while.
    She had known about my CD’ing but not the site.
    I made sure it was disconnected from each other immediately.
    Crissy

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiKay View Post
    My wife's hinted that she's seen ads that seem targeted to my interests. We do not use the same computers or even the same operating systems. All we share is a common DSL line. Apparently that is enough to link us.
    I have a couple personal computers and a work smart phone and laptop. For a long time I tried to keep them separate. Next thing I start getting cross dressing stuff on my work computer. Only connection is using my home WiFi. I gave up and just clear cookies often. No clue how they connected the two. Never did work on my personal and never personal stuff on my work computer.

We are Prime members but seldom use Alexa for anything. If I want to order I go online and order from my computer. I am in a DADT and try to be very cautious about my online presence. When I browse as Molly, I use Firefox and a private page. It's not foolproof but is is a layer of protection as far as browsing history, etc. I have separate email address for Molly and only open it through the private window. I do find that the private browsing on my tablet or phone don't seem to work quiet as well. For me, its pretty much one way to access and clear everything when I am done.
    Molly

I too was almost outed a couple weeks ago by Alexa asking about the delivery of a pair of Pleaser 809 heals. Thanks for the tip on how to quiet her.
    Susann_Gardener

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    Only connection is using my home WiFi. I gave up and just clear cookies often. No clue how they connected the two. Never did work on my personal and never personal stuff on my work computer.
    It's simple. Your IP address is unique and for example one tracker, FB,collects more than 50 data points about your usage. They know the email addresses used on this IP as well as all connected wifi devices. Just matching A with a, and B with b, etc. Some trackers even share data with others.....

Quote Originally Posted by susann_gardener View Post
    Pleaser 809 heals
    nice tho!
    I just got a pair of 3024 boots I love to death.

I received a free 'Alexa' with a purchase sometime ago and have no problem with it. Keep it unplugged and in a drawer after hearing many stories about it's use. My only concern now is with Amazon and it's many suggestions regarding my many purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria StJohn View Post
    Keep it unplugged and in a drawer after hearing many stories about it's use. My only concern now is with Amazon and it's many suggestions regarding my many purchases.
    Watch out, they tend to sneak out of drawers at night and prowl around your house looking for dirty secrets to report to Corporate.

The wife and I have Alexa, but haven't connected to anything but a few lights around the house. Wife like to use it when she getting around the house for time, temperature and listening to music. The Alexa account is attached to her email not mine. We both have an account with Amazon, so any purchases I make is on my account and not hers.

My wife is fully aware of my dressing and I don't have to hide anything from her. When I purchase something new online, I make sure I tell her right away so she isn't surprised. When I find something at a box store, as soon as I walk in I let her know what I have bought and usually show her.

I have no synced any devices with other devices in our house, because I want to keep things private and don't want to advertise what I enjoy. I also run a VPN, which I feel helps protects me. I also make sure any computer or phone that I use has the camera disabled and has to ask me to enable it, so I don't have to worry about others seeing what I am doing or wearing.

Technology is nice, just need to be smart about how you use it.

Silver Member
    Smart televisions offer a lot of cool features, including internet access, streaming apps, and built-in cameras and microphones. However, because they are always connected to the internet, those TVs can be a potential risk. Hackers who gain access can control your TV and change certain settings.Apr 27, 2020

How to Stop Smart TVs From Snooping on You | PCMag

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...nooping-on-you

My wife knows what I buy/own. She uses my credit card and name when she orders things from various places even lingerie. I do have fun rating women's clothes.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 03-01-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: info about subject

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCD View Post
    Good for you, I'm glad you're an old fuddy duddy and us young people are so terrible.

Alexa, play my music playlist. Alexa, play the radio. Alexa, turn the heating on when my phone gets to within 5 miles of home.

Gosh, I really am enslaved with all of these awful features that not only make my life easier, but help the environment as well. So awful
    You're putting words in my mouth, Charlotte. I think you're quite smart to use anything that makes your life happier and easier!
    Guess I'm too independent to depend on a robot for my needs to date? I know I must waste eons of time flipping on and off the radio and heater myself!

And, I must be too old and clueless to understand how turning on the lites, radio, heater, etc. when I'm not in the room "helps the environment"?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    nice tho!
    I just got a pair of 3024 boots I love to death.
    Did you have any trouble walking in them? I'm a little nervous about getting them and then not being able to walk in them.
    Susann_Gardener

They walk and dance fine, and balance ok. My only issue with them is that they fall a little, and form a bit of wrinkle just above the ankle when they do.
    I might be able to adjust them so they do that less.
    Last edited by char GG; 03-02-2021 at 10:15 PM. Reason: No need to quote the post before yours.

Mod note:

Please stay on the topic of the OP. Take off topic comments to PM. Thanks