Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did anyone like skirts first?

Aspiring Member
    My first item was a blue nylon nightie. But in just a few days I was wearing my mother?s dresses, hose and heels.

No. Tights (now referred to as leggings) was my first attraction; and remains so to this day.

My first item was a costume dress no one wore. Then for the next few years it was just dresses and skirts I knew my sister never wore (which was most of them since my mom would buy them but she would never wear them). I checked out my mom's clothes but too paranoid she would find out so left her stuff alone. I would never wear my family's undergarmets (eh gross) and wore my own tighty whities (even cut one pair to make it a thong which didn't work out very well).

But skirts and dresses are my favorite from beginning to now.

Skirts first? No... it was the under garments first... recently I have fallen in love with dresses!

Skirts and Stockings... that was the first things I wanted

I guess you can say I was in between. My wife and I were square dancers. I sew and made her crinolines as well as the frilly patties and the dresses, skirts, tops. I occasionally tried on her crinolines while making them. I could not wear most of her stuff. she was 5' 2" and 95 lb and I was 6'0" and 180 lb. When she passed away I gave away the 30 some outfits that I had made her those 36 years. It was after her passing I became very CD active.
    during club skits I would try to get any part that required cross dressing.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I was "skirt-firster" as well. Mind you, in reality I was into everything. I wanted to dress, look and feel just like the girls I admired as a teen in school. That meant the whole works, including panties and bra, naturally. And I have to admit panties are bras are each "special" in their own erotic way. But so is a skirt: to me it's a prime visible symbol of femininity. So it was skirts that first attracted me: the place I began--the "trigger," the "gateway drug," as somebody put it. Everything else came after.

In fact, today there are often times I'll be around the house just wearing a skirt (and panties, and maybe a cute little half slip underneath) and that's all, feeling "feminine enough."

So as a "skirt fan" I enjoyed that great post from MiniRock. I never knew "Rock" was German for "skirt," but then my German is very poor. What I found interesting about that is that "rock" in English means something hard and unyielding, quite unlike the soft flow of a skirt. In German it would be "Stein," I guess--oh, no, it's "Felsen," I just looked it up. Nothing suggesting a skirt at all, so we'd never guess these things. Words are always interesting. To me that post "rocks" (in another sense), if you see what I mean.

Interesting too to read of fingernails being such a major attraction, along with hosiery, shoes and the rest of it. But then femininity manifests itself in numerous ways, and nails that enhance long, slender fingers can certainly be one. It's fascinating to read so many different views.

H-m-m-m. It looks like the score (outside garments vs "undies" first) is getting more even - but the "undies" crowd is still ahead

I sort of wish I'd added a second question at the same time - something along the line of "Why - was it a thrill thing or an identity thing?"
    It might have been interesting. But then again, maybe not. Who knows?

Too late now, I guess - but I know that for me it was because I wanted to look like the girl I felt I should have been, and not any -um- erotic or sensual thing. I was only 4 or 5 back then and all I knew was that I "shoulda been a girl." So for me, it was definitely an identity thing.

SariLin, for me it was the feel of the materials. soft, smooth, and light. Cloth for male clothing is built for toughness needed for the rough and tumble work and sports. you can not flutter and float in male clothing as much as you can in female attire.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 03-13-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

It was defintely cute dresses that my sisters wore ! I just wanted to see how I would feel and look wearing them. The party dresses back then were so cute and short >

I just saw my sisters in dresses and skirts and their closets were always open. Never thought of going through their drawers till I was challenged to try something on by my sister !

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Ann Westlake View Post
    Interesting too to read of fingernails being such a major attraction, along with hosiery, shoes and the rest of it. But then femininity manifests itself in numerous ways, and nails that enhance long, slender fingers can certainly be one. It's fascinating to read so many different views.

Yes, they were in fashion at school when I was 12 - my final year of happiness primary school.

The boys mainly grew out either or both of their little finger nails, but I remember two had all ten. Wow, the envy! 😒 . The girls grew all 💅.

I was desperate for all, but it would be another three years before I got mine because they always broke - seemingly just on sight, and the rest would sympathy-break. By that time, I was in a different school, a different country, nails were not even a thing there,.. but my need never diminished.

I remember breaking one nail on a second effort after losing a basketball tip-off in physical ed. The nail made contact, but I still didn't get the ball. Heh, I saw the nail fly! The game wouldn't have meant much to me at the best of times, but after that, . . .

I had a number of successful growth cycles ( and a couple later on in life when I had some extended time off from work ). Never used nail polish on them though. I did once cover them in red ink to test, but the look didn't appeal 👎. ( Red lipstick doesn't work on me either - nod to the worst-purchase thread there. I see you! 🧐. But I still kept trying with that! . The transformations look nicely on track until the red goes on! ).

The most recent nail growth was my left hand in 2013. It was like: "Oh, that nail is quite long!.. Ooh, so is that one!.. And that one too.. OK, I'll nurture them for a bit!" 😊. The intention was not there until I noticed they had survived by themselves. There was no euphoria about success, and getting rid of them was no problem at all when it was time . That's why I know I'm over them now.

Why this? 🤔. I don't know . I always noticed long fingernails, and I always noticed pretty shoes. And I always wanted them more for myself than to appeciate them on others .

Btw, Lori Ann, welcome to the group! 👍.

- L.

Being an ill baby, I slept with my Mom a lot when my Father was away for work.
    So I wore babydolls as it was easier for Mom to change my bandage and diapers.
    I learned by watching Mom dress in a bra panty and full slip before wearing her skirt and top.
    So, women's sleepwear, then satin brief, then bras (when my bust started growing) and slips....then playing in all my Mothers ill fitting clothes and June Cleaver dresses she hung in my walk in closet she shared with me.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Lidianna, I to have had a desire for long nails. The nature of my job back then and a tendency for my nails to break made me keep my claws short. Then about 2 years ago I got an acrylic nail job. They lasted about 6 months, and two fills. I then removed them and have not put on anything except nail polish. I have retracted deeply back into my cave/closest/home. I am starting to slowly crawl out again.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:

Yeah,.. when I moved, that's when I first found out that artificials were available. I thought about it, but I was also still fighting against the progression of the entire thing: Trying to grow nails, sewing skirts, hiding the skirts, hiding my nails, throwing away the skirts, seeking intervention,..

Today, though, seeing acrylics and gels when they start to grow out, even as a nail-appreciater, I really don't like that look! 🙈. So the salon does them for.. what?.. around $50? They last 2 - 3 weeks? And fills for about $20?

I checked online everything needed to make gel nails at home ( the UV curer is surprisingly cheap! ). It came to around $160 🤨.

If that were still my thing, I'd be doing them at home. Naturals would be difficult to keep because of work. But I heard that having gels on all the time could make your naturals become brittle .

But I need to stop hijacking now; so I'll leave it there 🤐.

- L.

Oh Lydianne, I should mention that I grew my own fingernails out years ago. I recall making a presentation at work on an old-fashioned slide projector, pointing out some feature on a diagram with my finger. Afterwards a colleague remarked how long my fingernail looked when projected on the screen. I took to using a pointer after that so it wouldn't look strange for a male. Sad to say, now that I'm older my nails have grown brittle and I can't keep them as long and elegant. Anyway thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by SaraLin View Post
    I sort of wish I'd added a second question at the same time - something along the line of "Why - was it a thrill thing or an identity thing?"
    It might have been interesting.
    Yes, it would have been interesting. I can't resist ruminating about this. My personal guess is that for the "undies" fans it would be more of a "thrill" thing (with the fetishism derived from the erotic associations of underwear), while for the outerwear fans it would be more of an "identity" thing, wanting to "appear" female in a more holistic sense, like yourself.

A fetish is typically focused intensely on one or more specific aspects associated with femininity. So a fetishist might be satisfied with wearing, say, just panties and nylons, or some other item. Of course, there are "shoe fetishists" too, among other things, and I hear there used to be "glove fetishists" back in the days when ladies wore gloves, which they hardly do today. I came across a German web site once that was obviously run by an avid bra fetishist. It had hundreds of pictures of bras of every possible type and color--but nothing else. No panties.

Outerwear on the other hand goes more with the motive of wanting to look and even "be" female, and might therefore be expected to go with a wish to dress more completely in female clothing, not just a skirt or dress (or panties) for instance.

The trouble is, I can't be dogmatic about this because it can be hard to separate the two motives. Judging from what I'm reading here they can both be present for many crossdressers in varying proportions. Speaking for myself, wearing a skirt was a "thrill" thing at the time, which seems to run counter to my hypothesis above. It soon developed into a wish to dress entirely in women's clothing, but that was also a "thrill" thing for me as a teen.

On the other hand, who am I to say that those who wear panties under male clothing are not simply expressing another part of their "identity"? "Here's my outward, male self, but I also have this 'second self' hidden underneath." After all, that's what "Tri-Ess" stands for: the "Society for the Second Self." So sure, we can have "dual identities." The main problem is sorting them out, how much of each we have.

A subsidiary problem complicating the whole issue is that the "thrill" part can be derived from a sense of "female identity." I'm sure that was true for me. So all these motives can be mixed up together, and no wonder many people have trouble sorting them out and wondering "who they are and where they're headed." It took me a while to sort out the "identity" part in myself too.

Sorry to go on about this, but if you asked these questions of people you might be faced with a major job of analysis trying to figure out what it all means. You might be biting off more than you could chew! As long as you've got yourself figured out, that's the main thing!

Aspiring Member
    Yes, I did skirts first. At age five, I figured out that GGs wore skirts and long hair. At that age, details were not my long suit. My hair was kept closely cropped and I could not get a wig. Until I got a job at age ten and bought my own haircuts, my longest hair was maybe 3mm. But I did teach myself to sew. I created a skirt from some scraps of fabric, a white stretchy skirt. It was fun. That soon required stockings. This was in the days before pantyhose existed. I rounded out an outfit with a dress but no shoes. Undergarments were not of much interest other than utilitarian. And that is still the case today. I have a wide variety of outer clothing, lots of skirts, dresses, tops, jewelry, and shoes, but my under clothing is still just enough to do the job of shaping, supporting, and hiding.

Interesting. I started with pantyhose at a very young age. My mom would wear them for work and I was obsessed. That's where it all began for me and has since grown into a decent wardrobe.

A girdle was my first piece of clothing, then stockings. never moved to a bra and forms until about 5 years ago. First Dress/skirt about three years ago. Underdressed for about 25 years or so before that. Finally got the 'not getting any younger' feeling decided I would go forth from that point on and dress fully.

When I was a child I read Marvel comics and sci-fi books, here is a picture that shows typical female characters from that time (Phoenix, Black Widow, the Walkyrie, ...):
    1f12056dd79880e065bf5cb9159d9beb.jpg
    Such greek goddesses in outfits like these were my very first attractions as far as I can remember. Were they outer or inner outfits? I let you decide.
    Last edited by DianeT; 03-14-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    "So, I'm a crossdresser. Mmh. What's that thing, again?"

Considering telling your SO? Read this fine manual first: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?13841-How-to-tell-your-partner

Silver Member
    I started out with skirts, though technically I started with my mom's makeup when I was 3 or 4 years old. When I was in junior high I found myself fascinated by skirts (especially longer and fuller ones that were flouncy and colorful) and hose and heels. Which moved onto blouses and dresses. I didn't start with underwear, partially because I think I just didn't see women in their underwear, I was fascinated with what I saw openly. As I got older and discovered more about women's underwear I found myself enjoying more vintage underthings like girdles and stockings.