Thread: I'm going out en femme for the first time, but is it cosplay?

I'm going out en femme for the first time, but is it cosplay?

While eating out with my friends, we mentioned going to Scarborough Renaissance Festival. After my best friend, who knows about my crossdressing, said he was going to wear a kilt for fun, I casually mentioned that I was going to dress up as a woman for the fair, just for fun. The others said that's fine, but they still do not know I am a crossdresser. I know i won't feel weird or out of place because they said they have quite a few men who dress up in women's costumes.
    Since I will be wearing what is technically considered a costume, does this count as going out en femme for the first time, or is it only cosplay? Either way, I am extremely thrilled that I am getting to do this, and still looking forward to the first time when I actually do go out in regular women's clothes.
    Last edited by RainbowDash; 03-06-2021 at 03:59 PM.

I would say it's cos play if you dress as a character. If you dress to look as typically femme as possible then it's CD'ing.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

My view is that it doesn't really matter, just as long as you enjoy the experience. And if it helps to make you more comfortable for the future, that's a bonus.

Banned Read only
    They [didn't] know about your crossdressing, until you stated that you were going to dress as a woman.

Now they know. Not a big deal.

Don?t think it matters
    You go out and have a ball

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Regular men who joke around in women's clothes and costumes wear stashes and beards, balloon boobs, cheesy wigs, etc!

Crossdressers dress to the 9's and everything looks perfect. Too perfect!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    You might want to have a gg do your makeup just so you can tell those who you are not out to that a girl did it for you.

Sounds like fun! Who cares, call it what you will, what you need to in order to keep the status quo....it's all good!
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

If you’re telling everyone it’s just a costume, it’s just a costume.

Platinum Member
    I don't agree with Micki. It seems the universal truth around this forum is if you're wearing a garment usually ascribed to women then you're a cross dresser. I do agree with Sherry, if you show up mocking women with a beard, stash and extreme hairiness, then it is a costume. Then you deserve to be put in the stocks. If you show up as an elegant lady, then I think it is cross dressing. I know there is at least one woman on this forum who dons such attire and quite well. Shall we say he is just a 'period cross dresser?' What would a cross dresser in the middle ages wear...............while he is being burned at the stake for being a witch.

It actuality has a name its called crossplay where men dresses as female characters.
    Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/brandiedaniels/

I think if you want to go and dress as a female and not out yourself to your friends and let then think it just part of cross play say go for it. Thye are thinking your are doin it because of cross play but you can dress they way you like go for it and enjoy it . You do not have to out yourself to have a good time

I think what you call it (i.e. defines what it is for you) is what it is from your perspective. Others will look at it differently and some won't even notice it. For me, cosplay is an imitation from your point of view. Dressing in a particular way and style is expressing how you see yourself in your mind. The boundary is clear for you, but in most others it probably very, very fuzzy. Many will have no idea of exactly what you are saying or if you are saying anything in particular. But most will notice, maybe draw a fleeting conclusion which is mostly an assumption, and then move on in autopilot.

Banned Read only
    Crossplay is lots of fun at the Comic Cons, although I must admit to feeling old around so many kids in that scene. I have a great Mera costume that I have worn to a few Comic Cons and had a blast. The whole Renaissance fair thing is very intriguing to me. When I was younger, I went several times and always dreamed of dressing as a woman from that period, but didn't have the resources to make that happen at the time.

Since your friend already knows about your cd then there is nothing to hide . Wear whatever you want and have a great time .

I've gone to the Maryland Renaissance Fair many times as a woman, and it's been great each time.

The first time, I went alone and rented a wench costume. The GGs at the costume shop had fun helping me get dressed (doing up the laces on the bodice), and were very excited to see a man in a wench costume.

The other times, I went with a CD friend and her wife in my own costume. The last time I went, I can into a woman who was wearing more of a man's costume. We took some pics together.

When I went to one of the stands to get lunch, the server addressed me as m'lady. Not that I was fooling anyone, but it was very empowering.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 03-10-2021 at 01:56 AM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Be sure to take a pic and show us ........

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I don't agree with Micki. It seems the universal truth around this forum is if you're wearing a garment usually ascribed to women then you're a cross dresser. I do agree with Sherry, if you show up mocking women with a beard, stash and extreme hairiness, then it is a costume. Then you deserve to be put in the stocks. If you show up as an elegant lady, then I think it is cross dressing.
    I absolutely intend to present myself as an elegant lady from that time period. I'm going to shave that morning before I go out. As a matter of fact, I cannot look at myself in the mirror while crossdressed if I haven't shaved in several days and its clearly showing. And of course I will do everything in my power to appear as feminine as possible and not a man in women's clothing. If people see me as a man wearing women's clothes, I will laugh it off, especially since there are quite a few men at the festival who dress up like women.

Reality Check
    I don't think it matters what you call it and I don't think it matters what anyone else calls it. Do what you want to do and have fun at it.
    Krisi