Thread: "Dr. Boobs" and Breast Augmentation

"Dr. Boobs" and Breast Augmentation

Several of the women who came through this site with me during the early times of our transitions together all reported somewhat humorous anecdotes of a local "Dr. Boobs" in their metropolitan areas, well-known and highly respected, from whom they were seeking their breast augmentations from.

Among the myriad of details that we must deal with during this period, perhaps not scrupulously enough considered is the matter of final resulting breast size and the range of clothing you will therefore be able to choose from . Surely, we all seek the ability to pass by a mirror, and other people, with the satisfaction that we finally look "right," and, too, dwell on saline versus silicone, profile prominence, and overall shape and so forth, but it seems that the local Dr. Boobs can be quite insistent on promoting the fullest bust size feasible, rather than more modest, less prominent augmentations. I suspect this bias may be due to the goals commonly expressed by the good doctors' cis-gendered clients, presumably much more numerous, rather than the more pragmatic goals of trans women.

I personally questioned my doctor carefully, and was very insistent on a "C cup" result, and to the extent possible, shopped catalogs of popular manufacturers and cubic centimeters volume, millimeters of profile, etc., trying to make sense of it all. But in the end, beyond my desire for a "C," left the final selection up to Dr. Boobs.

As in the case of many of my cohort, I ended up with "D," and in the early months of swelling, larger than that. "Oh well," you might think, "better larger than too small," but no, it's quite possible it's not better.

Think of the size of clothes you want to wear as much or more than the size of breasts you think you'd like to have. I personally had to slim down from a pre-op 185 pounds to now, 155 pounds, to comfortably fit most XL dresses and tops (and some "L," too) and I have passed up and returned dozens of nice looking garments, including bathing suits, because of the size of my implants. I am not talking simple vanity, but serious psychological remorse when facing yourself and the decisions you let Dr. Boobs make.

If I could redo my BA I would spend a great deal more time honestly assessing my existing and final weight, the feasibility of achieving my goals and when (or if) that would be achieved, and the actual resulting band and bust size (after fully healing, of course) and how it relates to the clothes on the rack that I envision wearing.

Take care, bigger is not necessarily better.

All the best, Ann
    Last edited by Ann Louise; 03-11-2021 at 10:22 PM.
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Banned Read only
    Ann,
    I feel your assumption is correct , most clients probably feel the need to go oversized without the careful consideration of what the outcome will be and Dr. Boobs appears to more than happy to provide that need .

It does take some careful thought , it's also important to consider not all women want a large bust , it might be interesting to compare statistics between those who have breast enlargement to those who desparately want a breast reduction . It might also be of interest what size women choose for breast replacement after cancer surgery .

I stick to 36C by using forms because it gives me a balanced figure , it must be most upsetting having to lose weight to avoid too much wastage from your wardrobe because you didn't get what you asked for .

Like so many other things in life there is so much to choose from. I had two consultations, and I went with the smaller size doctor. I am totally pleased, I have a full B that looks entirely natural on my thin frame. The added advantage of going small, I had 275-325 implants (to balance out the size difference I did develop on HRT) is that I had an easy recovery and less strain on my chest and shoulders. We have a clothing chain here whose moto is "Basic is Beautiful!"

Yes, the fashion industry is geared toward smaller sizes. The smaller you are the more options you have, down to XS. Where I shop there are lots of XS clothes on the discount rack.
    I'd suggest trying breast forms to see how practical a larger cup size is out in public. A big issue for most is that they don't have the hips to balance out a large top. This makes it hard to pass.
    You are drawing attention to something that isn't quite right with a one size too large breast size.

Marion

Reality Check
    Just remember that women don't have a choice in the size of their breasts (without surgery). Some are small, some are medium and some are large.

And women have to choose their clothing to fit the breasts (and other body parts) that they have naturally.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Louise View Post
    Think of the size of clothes you want to wear as much or more than the size of breasts you think you'd like to have. I personally had to slim down from a pre-op 185 pounds to now, 155 pounds, to comfortably fit most XL dresses and tops (and some "L," too) and I have passed up and returned dozens of nice looking garments, including bathing suits, because of the size of my implants. I am not talking simple vanity, but serious psychological remorse when facing yourself and the decisions you let Dr. Boobs make.

If I could redo my BA I would spend a great deal more time honestly assessing my existing and final weight, the feasibility of achieving my goals and when (or if) that would be achieved, and the actual resulting band and bust size (after fully healing, of course) and how it relates to the clothes on the rack that I envision wearing.

Take care, bigger is not necessarily better.

All the best, Ann
    So clothes were too tight because your implants were too large but losing 30 pounds of body weight made the clothes fit? I do not understand the rant about Dr. Boobs causing clothes not to fit when now they fit with the same implants.

I am a little confused here...

If one were to go to a surgeon for a rhinoplasty ( a nose job ), would one "settle" for what the surgeon decided to do? OR, would explain what you hoped to accomplish with the surgery?

Why is breast work different??????

IF you, as the client/patient, want a particular size & projection, why then would you kowtow to what the surgeon "thinks is best"?

Isn't that like going to a tyre shop, having done your research, and asking for "X Brand of tyre, in Y model", and then allowing the service person to just decide to give you something else?

Or am I missing something???
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

My wife had a breast reduction (small frame, D/DD chest)... she gave the doctor her thoughts (She wanted an A cup) on it but in the end the doctor makes a great deal of the decision (ended up going with a small B). Often it's not based on their preference but rather their experience. Too big/Too small will disproportion based on the frame and for us it's difficult to envision the final product whereas the doctor has likely seen enough surgical results to really "know" how it will end up looking

Wow and we gurls want more!
    Lacyfem

Quote Originally Posted by Lacyfem View Post
    Wow and we gurls want more!
    She was so disproportionate that it was causing severe back issues.... it's hereditary and our 10yr old daughter (sadly) is already showing signs

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    So clothes were too tight because your implants were too large but losing 30 pounds of body weight made the clothes fit? I do not understand the rant about Dr. Boobs causing clothes not to fit when now they fit with the same implants.
    ^^this^^
    This does not sounds like an implant size issue

So i had a very similar experience with my surgeon but with opposite results , i went into my preop appointment with a bra size in my head.... i wanted a C cup as i did not want something too big and i all my GF?s who i discussed this with agreed... don?t go to big...

I tried on all the sizes and in the end settled on what i wanted.... then the surgeon interjected and said due to frame he would suggest going larger to fit an ?ideal? measurement so everything fit my chest and looked proportional. Well long story short him and i compromised to a volume in the middle and the surgery proceeded....

Years later, I?m happy with them....but now understand why he suggested what he did and if/when I ever do a revision I will up the size to what he wanted.

Moral of the story is...listen to the professionals as they did not go to medical school and intern for over a decade just to push a fetish of theirs on you. They know what they are doing and for good reason....
    I'm outta here...

At my pre surgery consult Dr. C had three implants on his desk that he thought would be in the range for my body. I left the decision up to him because of his experience. During surgery he opted for the largest, implant 550cc. I am glad he did. I am a big ol gal. Sure I pop a button occasionally and I do get attention but I like it. I get lots of help when I go to The Home Depot. Just sayin.

I do have trouble finding a perfect bra, 38 D is not big enough and 38 DD is normally too big. It depends on the brand really. BTW, good clothes almost always fit.

What is most important is not the clothes but being right, the way you need to be. The whole breast thing is just a bump in the road anyway. It is just something to take care of, a box to check so that you can get on with life.

I'm glad to see that my post has provoked thoughtful responses, and hopefully more thought into this topic even by those who choose not to respond.

Regarding loss of weight, please allow me to clarify. For my body type, when I gain or lose weight, I do so seemingly all over. I mean everywhere on my body. Pre-transition, in my younger days, I recall moving from "L" to "XL" and larger due to increased mass on my back, under my arms, on my chest ("moobs," anyone?), and of course, around my stomach. Over years, as I yo-yo'd, I would routinely pass up and down through various sizes.

Allow me to say this time, that I love having my BA, and I could/would not have it any other way. However, after spending years recovering from various surgeries, I would not possibly get BA reduction solely for the sake of a cup size or two. No way.

But, given my desire to wear more fashionable clothing (and, of course, to be a healthy weight, too) and equally so, to not have any more surgeries, my only recourse was to lose weight: on my back, under my arms, across my chest, and around my stomach. Of course my implants remain the same size, but all else that goes in to what makes sizes of dresses and tops did reduce, and thankfully so for me.

I was not as assertive as I perhaps should have been, and did not do enough trial and error in advance as perhaps I should have (mea culpa) and that is the point I hope to make here, that others may learn from my experience and those who have responded, and accordingly take these lessons to heart before they become irrevokably comitted to a course of action. Again, all the best to all of you, Ann
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Banned Read only
    Ann,
    I goes to show how different we are , where weight is carried and which parts increase the most and of course the difference beween the male anatomy and the female . At times it is hard especially during this pandemic to eat well and exercise .

It's good to read you are happy with your BA and have no regrets apart from the issue of sizing .