Thread: Failed Shopping Trip

Failed Shopping Trip

Went to buy some make up and other stuff and my debit card was DECLINED. Seems I have to call the bank and move more money into my debit account. Talk about embarrassing let alone inconvenient as it is Sunday.
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

. . . and I guess starting a “Go Fund Me” page is entirely out of the question. [Not serious folks, only intended as a bit of humor.] Although you must admit the appeal of the concept.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

At least you did not get charged for being over drafted! Personally the only time I use my debit card is to get cash out of the ATM. Before I go shopping. I do not trust stores to not steal my card numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Personally the only time I use my debit card is to get cash out of the ATM. Before I go shopping. I do not trust stores to not steal my card numbers.
    Same here. I've had credit cards used fraudulently a couple of times before. The numbers could only have been stolen in a store. One I suspect was Home Depot. It was professional too; the credit card company told me they must have fabricated a counterfeit card with my numbers on it. At least I was covered and it didn't cost me anything. I hate to think what would happen if anyone got hold of my debit card numbers. I don't know what protection I'd have. They might drain my entire bank account!

Platinum Member
    Hi Christine , That couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Like Karen I only use the debit card at my Bank machine
    and stick with my Discover Card and the fraud protection, >Orchid**0)**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Cash what that! Plastic is a lot faster and easier.

Christine,

Wot! No online banking? I'd have used the app on my phone to transfer funds there and then. OK, it's not for everyone I know. Situations like that are also why I have a credit card with the same bank.

I did it some years ago just in case I got pickpocketed while on holiday and lost my wallet. I opened an account with another bank and placed a modest amount with them so I'd have access to funds in an emergency. If I'm going out enfemme I take that card with me but hide it somewhere in the car again as an emergency measure.

yep, happened to me, held the whole line up in the supermarket while I transfered some money on my phone, it felt like all eyes on me in the whole store.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    No online banking? For those afraid to use a credit card I have 2 and one of them I keep a low limit on so that if I use it online and it gets compromised they can only get so much from me. The credit card company tells me that's not necessary if it's fraudulent they'll take care of it but I do it for my own protection and peace of mind.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I push every possible purchase and bill payment through a cash back credit card.
    At the end of the year, BOOM! Hundreds of free dollars to buy Carla some nice things.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I have found that Benjamin Franklin and those others out there are rarely declined.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I do what Carla does. Every possible purchase is made with a credit card. I get a nice check back. The credit card also gives you protection for fraud. A debit card is a mess to straighten out if someone drains your account. One of my friends had his account and line of credit drained at an ATM machine located in Romania. The bank wanted to know if he knew anyone in Romania. How the heck was hit card hijacked? Anyway, I charge everything and pay it off using a landline telephone to pay it off. No chance of our landline being compromised. And, here's a hint to boosted your credit score a little. I know when our statement date is coming. Therefore, I'll pay the majority of the charges off before the date the month closes so it appears I am using less of my available credit. Of course, never carry a balance over.

When I use a credit card, I use chip and PIN (user-entered password) security. I disabled tap on the machine, as this is an avoidable security risk. The RFID chip on the card can be read by a nearby unauthorised reader.

In the process of changing account numbers due to fraud, I learned that internet banking is an avoidable security risk. Guess what? I don't do internet banking.

The bank calls once a year or so after fraud has been detected as it is.

Chip and PIN may not be available where the reader lives; it is in Canada.