Thread: Eddy Izzard is my muse

Silver Member

Eddy Izzard is my muse

In the public eye, there are a a lot of versions of TG/CD people whose styles are not representative of my own style and outlook on gender presentation. I want to emphasize that I respect the feelings of all these people. They just don't represent the emotional space I occupy, but they do seem to be the main images held in public perception. I have long known I am not a drag queen and it rankles me somewhat that it's often the first image people conjure up at the idea of crossdressing men. As I am not in any way an exhibitionist, I also don't identify with the theatrical type of presentation and how it is not meant for everyday wear. In my own humble opinion, of course.

I also don't identify with those transgender people who are not happy or healthy until they have started or completed a full transition, including gender reassignment surgery. I am not judging anyone here. While I think I know a little about how they feel their femininity, and would be quite happy to wake up one morning to find myself magically transformed into a woman, those feelings are not so strong in me that I need to actively pursue transition.

And then there's Eddy Izzard, the British comedian. I had heard of her some time ago (He/Him at the time) and how she would sometimes appear wearing a dress. Okay, so what? But then she appeared on the British TV show 'Portrait Artist of the Year' as an artist's model for the competition final. She had on a red polka dotted dress, Jean jacket and black high heeled boots. So natural, so comfortable, and so presentable for everyday life. When asked, she said she was Gender Fluid, dressing male or female as she felt appropriate for the day. Such a contrast from the bona fide, larger than life drag queen that sat for an earlier episode.

Eddy's hair was long-ish, as if she was still growing it out. There was minimal jewelry or makeup, mainly just red lipstick. There was no evidence of breast augmentaction and she made no attempt at feminizing her voice. It is my sincerest hope that she represents the future of gender presentation. Wear the clothes you feel happiest in and don't worry about how people think about you. And the people in the show didn't make a big deal of Eddy's presentation either. There was one question about her dress, and then get on with other topics. For me, it was the total package of how we should be whoever we are and how the world should have zero issues with it.

Eddie Izzard is one of the smartest people on TV, one of the fittest people on TV, one of the funniest people on TV, one of the most philanthropic people on TV, one of the bravest people on TV . . .

. . . I think you could have chosen better! . ( <--That's a joke, obviously ).

- L.

I love Eddie's style of eclectic humour, and Lydianne's aprecis of her abilities is just spot on.

I wrote not that long ago how I thought she didn't get the appreciation she deserves for some of the immensely hard physical challenges she undertakes for good causes.

Definitely successful in the roles that are portrayed in sketches.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Suzanne,
    I was glad I saw that episode of the show , my ears pricked up when I heard Eddie referred to as " she " and " her " . She made an annoucement on that show that she now wishes to be addressed in that way . My feelings are she may go for full transition in the future , she appears to have moved into that thought process .

I love Eddie Izzard! She's one of my heroes. No acting, no over the top silliness. She’s just a regular (and unbelievably talented) person. She’s someone I can identify with because I’m just a regular person too.

Avatar: not me (I wish!) racquelr's Avatar
    I was just reading an article about a new movie that Eddie has coming out.
    In the movie, she plays a male teacher at an all-girls finishing school in England for German girls prior to World War II.
    Sounds like an interesting movie.
    Anyway, the article kept switching back between pronouns - she/her when talking about Eddie the person, he/him when talking about his character.
    It was a bit confusing figuring out who it was referring to at times.
    Anyway, always been a fan of Eddie Izzard - great actor and great human being.
    Actually saw her in person one time outside of Strand Books in NYC years ago - would have love to have chatted with her for a bit, but she appeared to be in a hurry.
    (note, I just had to edit that preceding sentence to change the pronouns - she was identifying as "he" back at that time).

Some celebrities in the Entertainment world have shown themselves to be incredibly humble and relatable to those of us who count themselves amongst the great unwashed masses despite the fact that their lines of work typically pre-suppose a certain degree of narcissism and/or neuroses and "issues".

Actor Ryan Reynolds is one of these, as is Tom Hanks. Comedian/Actor/AGT Judge/Game Show Host Howie Mandel has been incredibly forthright about his life-long struggles with OCD and germaphobia, as has actor Michael J. Fox regarding his battle with Parkinson's Disease. Ditto for the late Alex Trebek, who was very public about his battle with pancreatic cancer. All of them acted as role models and beacons of hope for others in similar situations, and showed them that they were not alone.

Eddie Izzard has a blinding intellect, a razor-sharp wit, and is a brilliant comedian and social critic. She "normalized" crossdressing years ago, and "took one for the team" to show the world that we are much more than what the tabloids, the gutter press, the Jerry Springer Show and the like would have them believe about us.

Although she now appears to be leaning more towards transsexualism rather than "mere" crossdressing, it was as an "out" crossdresser that she first made her mark in this arena. To that end, I would argue that she did as much for the crossdressing community in terms of raising awareness, empathy, and acceptance for it as did Laverne Cox, Caitlyn Jenner, Candis Cayne and Janet Mock for the transsexual community.

Platinum Member
    Eddie is always great,
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    Its interesting to witness Eddy’s evolution. I recall her (then him) from an HBO series some years ago. She left an impression on me as a great performer
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Its interesting to witness Eddy?s evolution. I recall her (then him) from an HBO series some years ago. She left an impression on me as a great performer
    I will say that the first time I was "respectfully" asked about my choice to dress in the workplace, I quoted Mx Izzard as "They're not women's clothes. I bought them. They belong to me."

You never saw a man back down so fast before in your life. #HR_On_Line_1

Banned Read only
    I have been an avid consumer of media and entertainment for four decades and only recently learned of Izzard's existence through this forum. I've now seen their work. It works. Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by racquelr View Post
    I was just reading an article about a new movie that Eddie has coming out.
    In the movie, she plays a male teacher at an all-girls finishing school in England for German girls prior to World War II.
    Sounds like an interesting movie.
    Anyway, the article kept switching back between pronouns - she/her when talking about Eddie the person, he/him when talking about his character.
    The movie i think is called six minutes to midnight.
    We saw it recently and it is a fantastic movie. Nothing to do with our lifestyle, just a really good movie in pre wartime England. Eddie lived on the south east coast in a town called Bexhill and is the patron of the local museum. He has donated two train dioramas, set in wartime England. One is a replica of his train set that his father built for him as a child and one is a model of the town during the same period. This second one is an ongoing project and is absolutely stunning to see.

If you get a chance to visit Bexhill, you must visit the museum. You never know, you may just bump into Eddie while in the village. He also performs regularly in the local theatre.

Banned Read only
    Colleen,
    Many thanks for that I'll make a not and perhaps make the trip one day when it's safe to do so .

If you do come down our way, be sure to let me know and we will see you there ! Its our favourite weekend out these days.