Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping out an oblivious wife (AKA The positives of marrying a CD'er)

Banned Read only
    Reine,
    I must admit you've blown a few cobwebs away and now in hindsight I can say my son was far more particular about those details than my daughter and still is , even married with two young sons . Guess what the eldest grandson is a " chip off the old block " he so much like his father in many endearing and annoying ways !!

It is interesting how times have changed. I remember one time in my teens I had a taste for brownies, so I found a recipe and set about making them myself. My mom was concerned that I might become some kind of "twinkie." She much preferred me out on the tractor working in the field or working on my vehicle (though not the grime I would pick up along the way). It never stopped me from learning to make things I like. Years later she taught me how to sew.

My two cents about a marriage relationship: In my mind, masculinity is more about being assertive but attentive, and being responsible and caring. There is nothing wrong about doing traditional male things, unless it sacrifices those other qualities that all individuals should have. I take the traditional male role of being the head of the house, but that doesn't mean I am the dictator or tyrant. I love my spouse and could not treat someone I love like that. Plus, if I expect to be the head of the house, I have the responsibility to be worthy of the role. The warping of that setting is a cause of misery, and I have seen it in several generations.

I smile at Charlotte's point. Several times in the last few years I have been tempted to offer suggestions to my spouse on clothes or make-up, but hold back so as not to betray my 'peculiar interest.' On the few occasions I have spoke up (about clothes), she has appreciated it and went with it. I might think she is doing it just to please me, but she definitely has her own mind about such things.

Every morning my wife asks me about the outfit she has chosen. Do the colors go together, shoes, jewelry and so on. Once in awhile I need to correct something, but she usually knows already. I think she trusts my opinion on clothing more than her own!

Quote Originally Posted by Geena75 View Post
    It is interesting how times have changed. I remember one time in my teens I had a taste for brownies, so I found a recipe and set about making them myself. My mom was concerned that I might become some kind of "twinkie."
    Yes, they've certainly changed.

For some reason, all three of my sons are FABULOUS in the kitchen. When we get together, we have gourmet-fests! And all the spouses benefit! I couldn't bond with my boys on the sports field, and so cooking was the way to go for me. A big part of any telephone conversation now is the discovery of this new sauce, or that new condiment, or this better way of cooking that ingredient than how we did it before.

It's just awesome. I'm so glad that times have changed. And my youngest is into construction projects like me. We are forever sending each other pics of back yard projects we'd like to do.
    Reine