To consider Steffi's comments we need to look at some background to the way people present themselves in public these days .

At one time most men would wear a shirt and tie and hopefully clean their shoes to take their wife /partner out for the evening , women would respond to that and dress up with nicely applied makeup and hair done , OK to some it may sound old fashioned but going out was special for many people . The process was gradual but where a smart resturant wouldn't allow jeans , Tshirt and trainers the quick food outlets did , so dress code became more informal , at one time informal didn't mean scruffy , nowdays it doesn't appear to matter . The husband may get home from work and suggest they eat out but doesn't bother to change out of work clothes possibly not even having a shower after work . It's very easy to say , " OK if he can't be bothered to smarten himself up what's the point of me bothering !" Eventually no one can be bothered , I'm sorry Steffi it's not women have become lazy with their appearance the blame mostly lies with the menfolk . I'm always intrigued to see a group of women go out for the evening , they actually dress up more than they do for their husbands , I rest my case !

As for lowering the standard for CDers , that's crap because most are in the closet anyway !