Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men in skirts

Men in skirts

So the other morning I was listening to a local rock station (Boston) that has a morning show from Michigan( probably Detroit) called Dave and Chuck the freak. They spoke that something that has come about that once again many clothing companies were trying to introduce skirts for men . That as a result of the pandemic, men realized how freeing a skirt was and because they were not under scrutiny of , well, everyone, working remotely, this was the direction many were going.
    One statement that made me want to call in, but it was previously recorded from the day before , was when the host said ? no straight man wears skirts? WRONG! How close minded. Like nearly every other thing , there are people from all walks of life that enjoy things they are not ?supposed to?. Grandmothers that enjoy rap, women that enjoy hunting and fishing, motor sports , math and science, white people that love the blues , and yes, men that enjoy women?s clothing. I think Planet Fitness may have the right attitude, but should apply worldwide- judgment free zone. Think of where we could go and what we could do as a planet if we weren?t busy judging others because their beliefs don?t align with ours. -rant over
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

You are so right, Jocelyn. The comment that straight men do not wear skirts is wrong. Why did the Scottish armies adopt kilts and the Roman soldiers wear a kind of leather skirt? Freedom of movement in battle. Native Americans often wore a kind of skirt as formal wear in dancing. Of course, those are special situations and cases, but the point is the statement reeks of stereotypical thinking that borders on discrimination or at least is a source of discriminatory behavior. The ugly sledge hammer of the gender binary strikes again. There should be no problem with wearing a skirt, but there is. I have worn my hiking kilt to the store and been subjected to such severe looks you would think I showed up naked. It is a kilt, for crying out loud. It is a male skirt. Lighten up people. We are not all clones. We are unique, each and everyone of us. (End of my rant.)

Kind of enjoying the uniqueness but If everyone starts crossdressing.... I am going to have to find a new hobby!

I am a girl at heart, but could never pass so I don't try. I have often been in public in a skirt (jean or khaki), neutral looking boat shoes and either a dress shirt with a camisole underneath or a polo shirt, although not in my hometown. So I have gone grocery shopping, pumping gas, Home Depot, having my nails done, or grabbing a drink at a bar. I get some stares, but have never had a rude comment. Wearing a full dress remains in the confines of my home.

Jennifer

I can't pass, so late nights when able are the only times I can get out.
    This pandemic has been just terrible for time alone.
    Susann_Gardener

Platinum Member
    Straight men wear dresses too!

Some judge and stereotype out of fear. Some feel it gives them power over those who are different. Some out of the security of herd conformity.
    Inside my heart is breaking
    My make-up may be flaking
    But my smile still stays on

In the west, we ( The Romans) wore skirts before women - it was standard fare for men.

How do you know if someone is a " barbarian ? A : They wear pants - these were taken from The Gauls.

So don't worry - history is on your side.

1F3DDAC0-BF6F-4DB6-923C-6359F72E32DB.jpg

This is making someone very angry!

Jocelyn

I quite agree with your points..
    But wish to add 2 comments
    By the name of the show ?Dave and chuck the freak? I don?t think your call would have changed anything and possibly just given them fuel for the fire.
    2nd being could this all have just been an April fools? Again by name of the show doesn?t sound like they are covering in-depth topics

Banned Read only
    Jocelyn ,
    OH Dear , what planet are those idiots from ? I suppose they will be assuming all women that wear trousers are lesbians !!

I guess if you haven't got the intelligence to get a proper job you can always find a job in media !

As for the statement about more men wearing skirts , I'm not convinced on a permanent basis some fads come and go but basically it's nothing to do with gender issues .

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    You are so right, Jocelyn. The comment that straight men do not wear skirts is wrong. Why did the Scottish armies adopt kilts and the Roman soldiers wear a kind of leather skirt? Freedom of movement in battle. Native Americans often wore a kind of skirt as formal wear in dancing. Of course, those are special situations and cases, but the point is the statement reeks of stereotypical thinking that borders on discrimination or at least is a source of discriminatory behavior. The ugly sledge hammer of the gender binary strikes again. There should be no problem with wearing a skirt, but there is. I have worn my hiking kilt to the store and been subjected to such severe looks you would think I showed up naked. It is a kilt, for crying out loud. It is a male skirt. Lighten up people. We are not all clones. We are unique, each and everyone of us. (End of my rant.)
    So true.

The German soldiers facing any Scottish kilt-wearing regiments across from them in the trenches of WWI had the greatest respect for them and their fighting abilities. Their commonly-used nickname for them was "The Ladies From Hell".

Silver Member
    There's only one problem. Every skirt I've seen that was designed for men is UGLY. As if someone forgot to sew the inseam of a pair of pants. I'm not a fan of kilts, but they do look better than these new abominations. There's nothing wrong with a guy wearing a "woman's" skirt. They have a shape that is designed specifically work with the shape of a human tushie and move when you walk. On Pinterest, I have found dozens of examples of guys who are absolutely killing it in a very feminine skirt without actually trying to pass as a woman. A quote I'm seeing ever more frequently is "Clothes have no Gender". That's especially true with skirts.

Silver Member
    The Ten Commandments was on last night. Aside from being totally cheesy and SO '50s culturally retarded, most the guys especially the Egyptians were in miniskirts. Three inches above the knees. Yule Brenner was ROCKING it. From a fashion perspective the movie is a CD's wet dream!

Platinum Member
    Hi Jocelyn , Skirts for men would not be Crossdressing, I'm not interested ,

>>>>>>> >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty2907 View Post
    Jocelyn

I quite agree with your points..
    But wish to add 2 comments
    By the name of the show ?Dave and chuck the freak? I don?t think your call would have changed anything and possibly just given them fuel for the fire.
    2nd being could this all have just been an April fools? Again by name of the show doesn?t sound like they are covering in-depth topics
    I don?t believe it to be an April fools stunt- here?s the article from a week before
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...-fashion-trend
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

Ahh, longing for Roman times when all the men wore Togas.
    See the first dresses for men were by Italian designers...lol
    Last edited by Cheryl T; 04-06-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Not fust if I"m wearing a skirt a dress or trousers. I just feel more me dressed in women's clothing.

Platinum Member
    I am always skeptical of the fashion industry’s attempts to generate enthusiasm for any type/style of clothing. These efforts always seem so artificial. Efforts to promote skirts for men particularly feels contrived to me.

As a woman in spirit, I am pleased that, for the most part, skirts remain in the province of women’s wear.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 04-05-2021 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removing ? and replacing with ‘
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I never understood how fashions take off. Who told all of the women to start wearing yoga pants all of a sudden. This doesn?t seem to happen with men as much. Probably because no one is trying to advance men?s fashion. Yet, I think it would be great if the fashion police started loosening their enforcement of the no men in skirts rule.

It's certainly true that women are far more prone than men to follow a new fashion. Women like variation. Men are more conservative. "Skirts for men" have been tried before, and didn't take off then either. But I don't know if I want men to be routinely wearing skirts. For me the whole pleasure of crossdressing is to wear something uniquely female, something different from what men wear. If that difference were erased, it would take the pleasure out of crossdressing.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyanne View Post
    How do you know if someone is a " barbarian ? A : They wear pants - these were taken from The Gauls.
    KellyAnne, history is written by the winners and the Barbarians are always the others. Gauls had their own civilization too. Or did you just mean they didn't speak Greek?

Banned Spammer
    Plenty of straight men in Scotland wear kilts. Mind you, if you dared to suggest it was a skirt... lol There's also that European guy who wears a skirt to the office. History also has many examples of men considered macho warriors wearing what we'd call skirts nowadays. Men In Skirts? Count me in ;-) x

I wear women's clothes to express my inner femininity. It doesn't seem likely that is going to be embraced by Bro culture.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I like to wear skirts, yet culture and the “manly men” thing won’t ever seem to pass. Even seen leggings for guys as a weird zone yet bike shorts etc are fine...

Pretty in Pink