Thread: What? Ha, Ha!

What? Ha, Ha!

I did not want to hijack someone else's thread so I will start my own!
    I went to the ER due to some shortness of breath and some night time wheezing! Note: I am out 24/7/365 as the women I know I am! Everyone was very nice and polite and not using pronouns! I got my breathing treatment and prescriptions and signed the paperwork for my release! I noted on the paperwork at the word sex was written: undetermined!
    Do you find that amusing as I did or do you find it insulting?
    Please respond with your feelings on this!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

They knew your gender, just not the most recent sex.

Silver Member
    They may have been afraid to write anything out of fear of being sanctioned for "misgendering" or whatnot.

You can smile if you like, Lana Mae, but I don't see any reason to be insulted, considering their dilemma. How could they be sure what sex to put? If they put "female," that's not anatomically or genetically true, which is important from a medical viewpoint. If they put "male," then they might be insulting you because it's not how you prefer to be seen. All right, so they could have left it blank, but then they might seem to have done a sloppy job by leaving information out. So what's a medic to do?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I just filled out a medical questionaire this week, Lana Mae.

One of the question was, "Have u been sexually active this week?" I answered, "Yes".
    The next question was, "If u answered, "Yes", did u use a condom?"

I went back and changed my first answer to, "No". Apparently, in the shower doesn't count!

The word, "Sex", can be quite misleading!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    Hi Lana Mae, I also find it amusing too, Hope you are feeling better now,>Orchid**00**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    Lana,
    I'm not sure if I find it amusing perhaps they should have had the courtesy to ask you if they were unsure , transition should mean a clean break and perhaps not described as undertermined .

Lana,
    I do find it amusing, much better than " a bit of this and that" or "both" or " don't know"
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Laura, and they are not going to find out either! LOL
    Vickie, could be!
    Lorie Ann, they could put undetermined! LOL
    Doc, yes it surely can!
    Orchid, I am feeling much better! Thank you!
    Terri, I thought so at first, too! Then I just felt it amusing that they were confused!
    Bobbi, you are right! LOL
    Thanks for your replies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Platinum Member
    I would not feel insulted or think it was amusing. If I go to the ER for emergency treatment for a lung condition I would expect that to be the issue of concern. It seems someone was checking off a box and your presentation produced a mixed message. I see a lot of surveys on-line that ask for sexual identity. I would hope in this day and age a medical facility would have had a box to check off or make an entry. If you went to the ER totally comatose due to an automobile accident, then the question is of great concern. Anatomy would trump any issues of sexual identity in your treatment. Different internal organs. I also have to assume you made no declaration to the ER personnel because it was not pertinent to your immediate care. I have to assume if you were enrolling with a family practice you would state your sexual identity and they would ask. I see it on my wife's discharge papers all the time.

Lana Mae,

Being offended is a choice.

It brightens my heart to see you chose not t be. Too many people today seem to think it's a requirements and almost appear to go out of their way to find reasons to be offended and what does it really accomplish?

I think you handled the situation perfectly, choosing to see the humor.

Thanks for sharing.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Stephanie, I am aware of all that you said as I am a nurse! My family physician is aware of me being a "pre-op transwoman"! The ER staff had no idea! They treated me for what I came in for and that is as much as they need to do! I was amused by their awkwardness to a routine question which they did not ask!
    Shelby Dawn, I need all the laughter I can get! LOL No sense in getting upset over that tiny incident! I try to stay chill as I can!
    Thanks for your replies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!