Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview

Interview

Since I began identifying, at least to myself, as transgender I have been a bit more open at least in terms of dress. I wear leggings almost 24/7 and effect a more feminine persona. My wife understands but has asked that I show some discretion when we are out with friends. She has been very understanding over the years so I am ok with that. I have no problem switching back to full male mode even though my obvious preference is female. Anyway I have applied for a job at a company which, purportedly at least, is LGBTQ friendly. I have decided to go to the interview in my jean leggings and a feminine top. I really don't need the job and it is just for a little extra spending money. I thought it would be a good opportunity to take a small step in my development. On the application I listed myself as non binary so i'm sure they have some inkling of what to expect. I'm at one hand very nervous but on the other excited about allowing Angela to more fully present herself. I'll still be mostly male mode; no wig, makeup, etc. But I though it would be a good start.

Angela, Thanks for the more forward for you. I like to see that people could be themselves or what they feel inside.

I do not see a location in your name avatar. Can you give me a general idea? Like SW USA or UK.

What kind a of job?

Natalie

Good luck, Angela. Seems to be a reasonable step to expand the level of your experience in gender variance. That never hurts even if it doesn't turn out like you might hope it would. You can still learn from it and if it is a job that you are not dependent on for your survival it is a good step. Of course, if they see that you really don't need the job they could give it to someone else who is more in need. If they are actually LGBTQ friendly they might also be sensitive to other needs of applicants. Good you told them you are non-binary from the outset. Honesty is the best policy.

Well done Angela.
    It's a positive step forwards to go openly to your interview as NB. You set a great example for those of us who are not so bold yet.
    I hope it works out well for you.

hello Angela,
    in the UK it would be illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of a "protected characteristic" - I wish you every success in your job application and interview.
    luv J

Angela , please let us know how it turns out .

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Reads like you have thought this through and have options whatever the outcome. So the out come is likely to be positive either way. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    hello Angela,
    in the UK it would be illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of a "protected characteristic" - I wish you every success in your job application and interview.
    luv J
    Illegal or not unless they outright say that is why it is very hard to prove. We found someone we belive to be a better fit, can mean anything. They will simply say they scored better on the interview. And never elaborate where or how. Many things go into determining who gets a job appearance interview experience and knowledge are the big ones. Angela didn't say what type of position but if I was the interviewer Jeggings wouldn't rate high on my list. Juat saying.

Platinum Member
    I have to agree with Jennifer. If your interviewing for a job that does involve interacting with the public and actually representing the company leggings may not be the best attire for an interview. It's not different than a guy showing up in jeans and a tee shirt. If you're going to shuttle seniors from a nursing home around is a van then probably not big deal. In my state it is illegal to discriminate against gays/lesbians, transgender men and women and cross dressers. As others have stated unless the company has a provable history of discrimination your complaint if not hired will go nowhere. In the USA many state do not offer any protection. Perhaps some attire a little less casual will still get your point across.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 04-12-2021 at 05:39 PM.

About a year and a half ago, I applied for a job at Lane Bryant, a plus-size US women's clothing store. In the application, there was a place for you legal name and a place for your alternate name. I used Steffi as my alternate name, so it had to be quite noticeable. I talked to the woman over the phone and then went for a face-to-face interview as Steffi. I was full on girl, as I would have dressed if I got the job working in sale.

I was really excited when I got the job. However, my wife basically told me that she hoped that I could pay for a divorce lawyer on that salary. I declined the job.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Well I went for my interview today. I took the sage advice of a few members and nixed the denim jogging. Instead I wore a nice size 4 dress pant that I picked up on sale at WHBM. My top was a nice dress lululemon, and a pair of my brown loafers. Finally a nice small purse completed my look. Whether I get the job or not is not important. What is important is that I overcame my fears, hesitation, etc. and presented myself in my preferred mode, sans makeup or wig. Perhaps I’m being too melodramatic when I say I felt empowered; but presenting my true self certainly is a nice milestone. No going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    About a year and a half ago, I applied for a job at Lane Bryant, a plus-size US women's clothing store. In the application, there was a place for you legal name and a place for your alternate name. I used Steffi as my alternate name, so it had to be quite noticeable. I talked to the woman over the phone and then went for a face-to-face interview as Steffi. I was full on girl, as I would have dressed if I got the job working in sale.

I was really excited when I got the job. However, my wife basically told me that she hoped that I could pay for a divorce lawyer on that salary. I declined the job.
    This is really heartbreaking to hear. I'm sorry that it went down that way for you. I just feel like that kind of ultimatum is pretty extreme...I hope everything works out for you <3

Angela,

You have every right to feel empowered! I hope you get the position; it would be great icing on your cake. Keep us posted.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by beccadeath View Post
    This is really heartbreaking to hear. I'm sorry that it went down that way for you. I just feel like that kind of ultimatum is pretty extreme...I hope everything works out for you <3
    Umm, yeah. I was really disappointed by her reaction. I thought that is would be a fun and interesting opportunity. I would even have to learn how to fit women for a bra. I thought that we could discuss it like rational human beings, but she shot it down as soon as I got it out of my mouth.

The process, however, was very empowering. I looked like a girl at the interview and I was treated like one.

I made a lot of posts on it. It was about November 2019.

BTW, we have agreed on boundaries, and they include going out twice a month with the girls to a public venue.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Well I did get the job I interviewed for. I asked about the dress code. They said no leggings; they try for a more professional look which is fine. I ordered a few pair of Vera Wang skinny twill dress pants. I'll pair that with a nice set of flats. More androgynous, but a good entree.

Congratulations on getting the job. I know it sucks when you can't wear your favorite thing. Bit on the bright side you can dress from the good side of the closet.

Yay! Congrats, Angela.

Congratulations Angela!
    Sounds like you will have a very accepting employer. Best wishes to you.

Alright, good for you Angela! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Good luck on the interview girl!

Angela, Congrats on getting the job and you still get to be yourself!
    Crissy

Hi Angela,
    Congrats on the new job!
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

I love it. Can we ask what you will be doing at this new job?

Congratulations on the new job.

My former employer did have a dress code which specified "no leggings, beach shoes, shorts", etc. . It's good that you found nice slacks that work for your new job.
    Last edited by char GG; 04-27-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Can we ask what company? Just in case there's a position open for a sister here?