Thread: First impressions are not what they seem like, new neighbours

First impressions are not what they seem like, new neighbours

My uk neighbours who I have known since 2002 have moved out without telling me!!; That always, on the surface have been accepting of my dressing but never have they been overly friendly. I had heard they were selling up but with our lockdowns and things houses are taking a long time to sell. A few months ago there was a lot of human activity going on and then they left.
    This week the new people moved in together with a very old noisy Volvo and a motorbike and I thought "O no my peace and tranquility has been blown away". Yesterday i was collecting kindling for my lounge fire when the Volvo went slowly past, I looked up and waved to them as they went past, and got a very friendly wave back again. I continued to collect my wood and in French I heard a woman call out "hello how are you" to which I replied, opened my garden gate and went across to the woman, whe said in broken English "do you remember me?" . it hit me then, this was the same woman who months ago had come to see the house and who's husband offered to change over the flat tyre on my car seeing as I was dressed to go out for the evening!
    A very pleasant chat followied with me being given an invite for sometime this coming week for drinks and nibbles in their house!!
    Woohoo!! new French people and totally accepting of my dressing, I am so pleased!! with her understanding of English if ever I have any problems needing French language i am sure she will help me!
    i think I have got some good people next door now.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Very cool!!! Out with the old and in with the new (and better!)
    Kelly a.k.a. VS Fan

I think this can only get better, very lucky indeed........
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

I think it will be good, all of my hamlet are OK with me

That's fantastic to have accepting neighbors, and it's also pretty cool that you live in France! I actually really like the French people and can't wait to go back one day.

Bobbi, Good things come to good people and this is a perfect example. You are lucky to have them move in but I know they are also very lucky to have a neighbor like you.
    Crissy

That is a great story. Maybe they will give you a ride on the motorbike! I can almost hear the French woman shouting Alooo : )).

Great to have friendly neighbors

Good story, it shows what being friendly does for people.

Wonderful story Bobbi. Sounds like you have been blessed. And you are quite right about first impressions. Unfortunately it can also go the other way. I had a neighbor who seemed really nice and turned out to be anything but. Glad he is gone. And the new neighbors are really nice.

Banned Read only
    Bobbi,
    That's a lovely story , you could say one door closes and the same one opens !!

That's great news! I am very happy for you.

That's great Bobbi!

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Wow, that is soo good to read. I expect most people now days would neither care nor comment much. But to have neighbours who are openly accepting and friendly has to be a bonus.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Good on ya, Bobbi!

But, "French people in France"? Shocking!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Ya got me there, Leslie Mary! The closest I ever got the Ramstein air base was Heidelberg!

After getting out of the Army? Military areas weren't my thing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Actually the bike in question later turned out to be 1960's Mobylette 50 cc moped, its got a carrier on the back so with one of my free flowing skirts and a bit of push and shove a ride could be managed!! downhill

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    The house next to me is a rental so people usually come and go every couple of years. One group had a very loud party the first weekend and I could even smell weed. After all was said and done they were the best neighbors I had very quiet Pleasant to chat with and I think they had like one or two parties a year during the time they were here. Taught me you can't tell in the first few weeks what the rest will bring.

When I saw the title I was expecting to see another negative story as I have experienced all my life and heard from others but your story gave me hope! Unfortunately, not all French neighbors are as polite as yours... I bought a property in Cannes 3 years ago to get some rest in my summer vacations but I have like the rudest and loudest neighbors ever so I'm considering selling the house now.