Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1960s Catalogs, did the Fantasy ever become Reality

If you were to go back in time to when I was a teen, you would certainly see my "fingerprints" all over the Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogues in my home. When I look back at that and other factors, it is no wonder I still have fetish for nylons and ladies undergarments. When I go back to those years, I can connect this to my dear female cousins and aunts who were classy dressers and other woman in my life that would have such an influence. Those catalogues would help solve the mysteries of what they wore underneath it all !
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Catalogues have more realistic photos in them these days and do not rely on artists interpretations.

Some of the fantasy has disappeared but the clothes show a model that is realistic today.
    You don't think these models are realistic and are over joyed to be able to dance around in panties, girdles, and slips ? LOL
    Lingerie By Decade- 1960's ? Bobbins & Bombshells.jpgLingerie By Decade- 1960's ? Bobbins & Bombshells.jpg

I definitely spent time with the catalogs. I was entranced by the girdle section with the full figured women. I really wanted to be one

Robbie, I would say they look like a happy bunch of models, why wouldn’t they be. I think the Sears catalog has a lot to do with my love of shape wear and undergarments. I am actually smiling thinking about it.
    Crissy

I used to love looking at the slips, nightgowns (pink ones at that age!) and girdles...not sure why but always wanted a girdle...like the firm snug feeling of that and hose.

Platinum Member
    It was always great to see the big catalogs in the Mailbox,
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Spent many hours perusing the catalogs. All the lovely clothes I so longed to be able to wear.

Oh my gosh, the pastel colors are to die for! Love the old catalogs. It was like a window into the fem world.

It did for me. After a few times buying mail order with pick up at the mail order counter, I would check things out in the catalog and buy them in the store. At first it was hit and run. I bought a couple of leotards and matching tights. I eventually got a long line bra (back close - big mistake) and a LLP girdle. But my most exciting purchase was to get a matching set of panties, bra, cami and half slip. Just try doing that today!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    Claire; Secrets in Lace has an entire page dedicated to bullet bras: https://www.secretsinlace.com/category/Bullet_Bras
    You can usually find them on eBay a lot cheaper.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Crissy 107 View Post
    Robbie, I would say they look like a happy bunch of models, why wouldn’t they be. I think the Sears catalog has a lot to do with my love of shape wear and undergarments. I am actually smiling thinking about it.
    I love shapewear because by the time I started dipping into my mom's lingerie drawer, her girdles fit me very tightly. I just got to love the compression.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 05-26-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I finally managed to get some lovely long white nylon slips and camisoles with lace trim at the hem and bodice from Velrose ( Shadowline) and a delightful white lace garter belt in retro style from Macy?s years ago but I have never beeen able to find much of anything in any colors except white or black. And yes, the lingerie sections of the Sears and Penney?s catalogs were every bit as exciting as an issue of Playboy.

Aspiring Member
    Growing up we got the JCP and Sears catalogs. I spent many hours looking through them and selecting wihich lingerie and dresses and shoes I would like. Fortunately. My mom had a lot of beautiful lingerie, clothes and shoes which I wore from age 12 to 22. When I married I used my wife?s things until I started collecting and buying my own.
    Michellecd9999

I spent considerable time looking at the women's section of the catalogs. Wishing I could wear what I was looking at. It took years before I got to actually get ahold of some of items from those catalogs in thrift stores.

As a teenager those catalogues were a tremendous source of information and excitement, especially the sections on underwear because those were the mystery areas of female clothing to which, having no sisters or close female relatives, I had no access. In my late teens and afterwards, with a steady girlfriend and then fianc?e, although I didn't confess my special interest, I found it even more fascinating when she would sit down with one of those catalogues and look through it, picking out items that interested her. In fact, her parents, like mine, never bought anything from the catalogues but they provided, pre-internet, a source of information about styles, prices, etc.
    What really appealed to me was my girlfriend's comments about the clothes. She gave me a real insight into how women viewed them. This covered matters such as how comfortable or "easy to wear" a particular dress or skirt might be, what sort of slip would be needed beneath it, why some types of stocking would be more durable or more smooth than others, the pros and cons of different fastenings and adjusters on bras, what she thought about the position of suspenders on a belt or girdle and misleading claims about garments - especially foundations. My girlfriend would sometimes reveal details of what other girls (some of whom I knew) wore, e.g. "XXX wears one like that - it can't be very comfortable" (this when looking at a long-line bra).
    All the time I was learning more about how women related to their clothes - and occasionally trying them for myself and understanding how the clothes in those catalogue pictures actually felt.