Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should men be allowed to wear dresses and skirts.

Should men be allowed to wear dresses and skirts.

Do many on here agree that men should be able to wear the same clothes as women and vice versa? I ask because of comments about MIADs and statements like wearing a dress makes me feel like a woman.
    Last edited by Georgina; 05-19-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

The real question

Why is it an issue in western society if a male wears a dress or makeup why is he less? A female wears clothes made for a male ie boxer shorts as outerwear she is seen as normal.

I believe people should be able to wear whatever they are comfortable with. Gender rules are by far outdated. Men wearing dresses and skirts is looked at being too feminine, just like how women wearing pants made them look too masculine. The only reason why men stopped wearing dresses and skirts is because of war. Then pants became prefered work wear because they were safer than dresses and skirts in factories.

Of course men should be allowed to wear dresses, and why not, I have recently bought one for the summer because in winter I prefer skirts/pants and nice thick pullovers; I also have two very nice jump suits with wide legs and juist this last couple weeks I bought on nioce short sleeved evening dress plus and off the (one) shoulder also for evening wear. All of these are very comfortable and nice to wear. After all are not women also giulty of crossdressing? jeans and so forth.
    I think what we now have is a very godd level of equality.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Men can and DO wear dresses! I believe most of us here r proof of that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Junior Member Stephanie Voorhees's Avatar
    I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find anyone around here to answer no to your question. As long as it harms none, people should be free to do as they please without judgement from others. Unfortunately, we as a society haven't grasped that philosophy yet.

The clothes you choose to wear make a statement about you. I generally wear loose fitting comfortable clothes which would indicate I like comfort and function more than style. Should I care about the impression of others? Suppose I was really into WWI aviation, and wore a replica WWI aviator's hat -- some people would regard that as weird, others as interesting. Society has developed notions of the meaning of what you wear -- often very wrong notions. Be prepared to deal with some of those people. I'm a private person and don't want to deal with it (and I really feel I look ridiculous in MIAD mode).

Aspiring Member
    I am planning on getting a skirt

Gold Member
    Yes, I agree totally with men wearing a dress or a skirt. Women wear pants every day, and nothing is said.
    Before WW-2, Women wore dress/skirts almost all the time. But during the War, Women went into the factories
    and went to work building what was needed. Wearing pants was more practical.
    Now if a man wears a dress or a skirt, he is looked at as less than a man. I wish Society would wake up.
    If it was OK to change the rules for Women, Why not for Men.

Men are allowed to wear dresses and makeup in public. Laws in the U.S., at least, do not prohibit men from doing so. But, I know what you mean - our culture makes judgements about who we are based on superficial characteristics, and a lot of people do not like it when men cross dress. We may not like it, but people have judged each other based on superficial characteristics for tens of thousands of years. For now, men who crossdress in the U.S. are tolerated in most places, accepted in a few others. I imagine this will get better as ideas of younger generations dominate society.

Hell no! Men should not be allowed to wear womens clothing!!! If everyone started wearing dresses it would take away from the special gift we have! And ruin the excitement.... not to say totally destroy the femininity of female clothing for good! Vote NO!!!!

I think I'll repeat what my English school teacher would have said.

Can they? Of curse the can. Men can wear skirts just like a woman can.

May they? Do they need permission, as in "Mother may I?" That largely depends on where you and where you are going and who will see you. With my CD friends, I may, in fact, I should. With my wife, I may not and should not.

Kind of funny. I'm going out with the girls Saturday. I told my wife. She's never asked where are you going? Or who are you going with, but she does ask when am I leaving and when am I coming home. This time she asked where I was going. I answered honestly. She said, "Just don't go to the mall (which is right next to the restaurant I'm going to.)

Drat... Foiled again.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 05-20-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Why is it an issue in western society if a male wears a dress or makeup why is he less? A female wears clothes made for a male ie boxer shorts as outerwear she is seen as normal.
    It's an issue in any society due to the fact that humanity has, by and large, promulgated the idea that women are subservient to men. Therefore, it's been universally considered shocking and absurd that a man would intentionally and willingly relinquish his superior stature to assume the identity of a subservient woman. Fortunately, those antiquated notions are being dispelled at an unprecedented rate in modern times.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Hell no! Men should not be allowed to wear womens clothing!!! If everyone started wearing dresses it would take away from the special gift we have! And ruin the excitement.... not to say totally destroy the femininity of female clothing for good! Vote NO!!!!
    I concur.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I just remembered that back in January of 2014 I asked the question if men's fashions included dresses and skirts, would that be enough? The responses followed along the lines of "No, I would still rather present as a woman." Interesting the paradigm shift.

On the other hand, when women started wearing pants, did they want to present as men? I just don't see why dresses and skirts have to solely be women's wear and men can only wear them if they want to present female.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Why is it an issue in western society if a male wears a dress or makeup why is he less?
    This question can't be answered here without breaking the rules on allowable content - but it's to do with the social structures which underin western society and the male orthodoxies which created them.

Yep, it is all about social standards and expectations. Going against the standards rocks the boat and it might flip over and we will all drown. It can really be that rigid and at times in history it really was that rigid. You might also ask why, in formal settings, do all the men wear essentially the same clothes - suit, tie, tuxedo, whatever is expected - but women can wear gorgeous dresses as well as very seductive dresses and other clothing combinations in all the colors of the rainbow. And if two women meet that are wearing the same dress it is a crisis as great as if part of the continent suddenly slid off into the ocean. If you stand back and look at a formal affair and all the posturing and showing off it borders on insanity. So many complexities. And every society has its standards and expectations, even though they may vary greatly and some seem really are crazier than what we do. Why?

We are social animals and standards and expectations are part of the glue that binds us into a functioning whole. But, in contrast, if you consider all societies and cultures you can see there is no universal standard or expectation. Therefore these social structures can and do change over time. Greeks and Italians don't wear togas much anymore. There was a time in our society when men wore ruffles and lace and pink was a male color that women did not dare wear. Blue was the feminine color and men did not wear blue. It changed.

It really doesn't make sense except it is part of the customs that hold the social fabric together. That said, customs can and do change. And right now they seem to be changing a lot as females tread on male holy ground and males tread on female holy ground. Clothes may indicate the thinking and identity of the person, but clothes do not make the person any more than wearing a huge grizzly bear canine tooth hanging on a leather cord around your neck makes a great and brave hunter. Change is good; it is how we grow.

Platinum Member
    Of course men should be allowed to wear dresses and any feminine attire. And, anyone and everyone has to bear the consequences of their actions; no matter what they may do.

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    ...all the men wear essentially the same clothes - suit, tie, tuxedo, whatever is expected -
    This. Even if you look back at photographs from the late 1800s, apart from some minor changes, men's suits/formal attire is essentially the same. About the biggest difference we might expect is a change in the number of buttons. Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    clothes do not make the person any more than wearing a huge grizzly bear canine tooth hanging on a leather cord around your neck makes a great and brave hunter.
    That's hysterical

It’s just the way society is. If you want a full explanation I’m sure someone could write a full dissertation on it. But if you haven’t noticed, progress is being made. See: Jonathan Van Ness or Billy Porter.

I believe that men can wear dresses and skirts.....just not at the same time. But then.....maybe it would start a new fashion trend! Like the pants down below the butt exposing the boxer shorts they're wearing.
    Ya never know !

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

But really, I've wondered this also. I've imagined that in the future, (like in the movies, the aliens with the big upside down pear shaped head and big eyes) that we will all be wearing the same cloths in design and truly, how boring would that be for us today?

I would be perfectly comfortable with the idea of undermining , subverting or eliminating ALL standards of gender, be they sartorial, behavioral, political, religious, military, cultural or otherwise.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I'm not sure what yo mean by 'allowed' to wear dresses.If you want to wear a dress, wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    It's an issue in any society due to the fact that humanity has, by and large, promulgated the idea that women are subservient to men. Therefore, it's been universally considered shocking and absurd that a man would intentionally and willingly relinquish his superior stature to assume the identity of a subservient woman.
    I know this is a common explanation for it in sociology but I don't think it's a universal explanation. While I acknowledge that women are suffering discriminations, I personally don't consider them inferior in any way, and wearing their clothes does not make an individual look inferior or lesser in my eyes. So this explanation simply doesn't work for me, and I sincerely hope it doesn't work for others for the same reasons. The only reason I could find a man wearing female clothes "inferior" is if the man voluntarily adopts postures of submission (like wearing a French maid's outfit and acting as a servant). But this has all to do with what the individual does and surely not what he wears (I suppose that you can act very dominant in a French maid outfit if you chose to). The uneasiness I have with crossdressers (including myself and my looks if I miss my target) is the blurred gender line. It is like looking at a fuzzy picture and not being able to focus, my mind has been trained for binary genders when I was young and isn't comfortable with sexual ambiguity (hence the full nines when I dress). It doesn't prevent me to respect all people. I just acknowledge my biases and try to work on them. I don't pretend I am a good person, I just aim at being one. I think a lot of heterosexual persons like me may be uneasy less because of the above theory than because it questions their own gender and sexual identity, and that fills them with perplexity. Ridiculing or hating what they see is one way to get out of that situation. Another is to be open and curious, and try to learn something, about the others, and sometimes about yourself.
    Last edited by DianeT; 05-20-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    "So, I'm a crossdresser. Mmh. What's that thing, again?"

Considering telling your SO? Read this fine manual first: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?13841-How-to-tell-your-partner