Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should men be allowed to wear dresses and skirts.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should men be allowed to wear dresses and skirts.

Do many on here agree that men should be able to wear the same clothes as women and vice versa? I ask because of comments about MIADs and statements like wearing a dress makes me feel like a woman.
    Last edited by Georgina; 05-19-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

The real question

Why is it an issue in western society if a male wears a dress or makeup why is he less? A female wears clothes made for a male ie boxer shorts as outerwear she is seen as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Why is it an issue in western society if a male wears a dress or makeup why is he less?
    This question can't be answered here without breaking the rules on allowable content - but it's to do with the social structures which underin western society and the male orthodoxies which created them.

I believe people should be able to wear whatever they are comfortable with. Gender rules are by far outdated. Men wearing dresses and skirts is looked at being too feminine, just like how women wearing pants made them look too masculine. The only reason why men stopped wearing dresses and skirts is because of war. Then pants became prefered work wear because they were safer than dresses and skirts in factories.

Of course men should be allowed to wear dresses, and why not, I have recently bought one for the summer because in winter I prefer skirts/pants and nice thick pullovers; I also have two very nice jump suits with wide legs and juist this last couple weeks I bought on nioce short sleeved evening dress plus and off the (one) shoulder also for evening wear. All of these are very comfortable and nice to wear. After all are not women also giulty of crossdressing? jeans and so forth.
    I think what we now have is a very godd level of equality.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Men can and DO wear dresses! I believe most of us here r proof of that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Junior Member Stephanie Voorhees's Avatar
    I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find anyone around here to answer no to your question. As long as it harms none, people should be free to do as they please without judgement from others. Unfortunately, we as a society haven't grasped that philosophy yet.

I think Brenn is correct.

Men are "allowed". Whether or not they want to wear dresses and skirts is up to them.

The clothes you choose to wear make a statement about you. I generally wear loose fitting comfortable clothes which would indicate I like comfort and function more than style. Should I care about the impression of others? Suppose I was really into WWI aviation, and wore a replica WWI aviator's hat -- some people would regard that as weird, others as interesting. Society has developed notions of the meaning of what you wear -- often very wrong notions. Be prepared to deal with some of those people. I'm a private person and don't want to deal with it (and I really feel I look ridiculous in MIAD mode).

Gold Member
    Yes, I agree totally with men wearing a dress or a skirt. Women wear pants every day, and nothing is said.
    Before WW-2, Women wore dress/skirts almost all the time. But during the War, Women went into the factories
    and went to work building what was needed. Wearing pants was more practical.
    Now if a man wears a dress or a skirt, he is looked at as less than a man. I wish Society would wake up.
    If it was OK to change the rules for Women, Why not for Men.

Aspiring Member
    I am planning on getting a skirt

Men are allowed to wear dresses and makeup in public. Laws in the U.S., at least, do not prohibit men from doing so. But, I know what you mean - our culture makes judgements about who we are based on superficial characteristics, and a lot of people do not like it when men cross dress. We may not like it, but people have judged each other based on superficial characteristics for tens of thousands of years. For now, men who crossdress in the U.S. are tolerated in most places, accepted in a few others. I imagine this will get better as ideas of younger generations dominate society.

I think I'll repeat what my English school teacher would have said.

Can they? Of curse the can. Men can wear skirts just like a woman can.

May they? Do they need permission, as in "Mother may I?" That largely depends on where you and where you are going and who will see you. With my CD friends, I may, in fact, I should. With my wife, I may not and should not.

Kind of funny. I'm going out with the girls Saturday. I told my wife. She's never asked where are you going? Or who are you going with, but she does ask when am I leaving and when am I coming home. This time she asked where I was going. I answered honestly. She said, "Just don't go to the mall (which is right next to the restaurant I'm going to.)

Drat... Foiled again.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 05-20-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I tried a rather long answer, but didn't like it, so I'll try a shorter one.

I like that there are things that are considered feminine wear, such as skirts and dresses.
    If I cared enough, I might mourn the lack of "masculine only" wear. But I really don't.

That said, I don't see the need for all the hubbub surrounding who should wear what.
    both men and women can go day-to-day, wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Big whoop.
    If a woman wants to "feel pretty" she'll put on something to reflect that, maybe a skirt or dress. Shouldn't a man, if he feels the desire, also be allowed to put on something feminine too?
    Why must that be viewed as something negative?

I. Just. Don't. Get it.

Anyone can wear anything that they are willing to pay the price to wear. Whether it's a marriage, social standing, occupational standing or even self image, there can be a high price to pay. It's a cost/benefit issue. And, each person determines the value of standing out/fitting in.

Personally, I'm not willing to pay the price of being open. I dress at home and throttle my taste to fit my wife's acceptance level. Her acceptance level has been moderate so I dress moderately. My taste is definitely in the man-in-a-dress realm and she's mostly comfortable with that.

I also agree with Karen in that I don't really want my taste to become mainstream. It feels much more indulgent because it's not mainstream and indulgence is my favorite part of my alternative wardrobe.
    Last edited by Bea_; 06-17-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Deleted by Teresa.
    Last edited by Teresa.Smith.VA; 07-14-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Hell no! Men should not be allowed to wear womens clothing!!! If everyone started wearing dresses it would take away from the special gift we have! And ruin the excitement.... not to say totally destroy the femininity of female clothing for good! Vote NO!!!!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Hell no! Men should not be allowed to wear womens clothing!!! If everyone started wearing dresses it would take away from the special gift we have! And ruin the excitement.... not to say totally destroy the femininity of female clothing for good! Vote NO!!!!
    I concur.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    Hell no! Men should not be allowed to wear women's clothing!!! If everyone started wearing dresses it would take away from the special gift we have! And ruin the excitement.... not to say totally destroy the femininity of female clothing for good! Vote NO!!!!
    I Totally Agree, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

This reminds me of a thought I've long held; I really don't want to buy a man-skirt, or a man-dress, or mantyhose, or man-heels, or anything else that's typically feminine attire that is made for men. I dress in feminine clothes because I feel a strong need to dress as a woman. Wearing clothes designed for men misses the point.

I saw a man in a dress yesterday at a construction salvage place in Pittsburgh... He was with his mother.... No hair, no makeup, no jewelry.... not feminine at all.... He didn't look so hot either!

I thought his dress was way too fancy for that store.... and the shoes were all wrong! I mean good for him but I don't get it......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Karen, you have a good point. Men?s panties would not do a thing for me.

I've thought about an aswer for this question many times, but most of the time I agree with Karren.

Anyway, I like to wear women's pants on a day-to-day basis, without the intention of passing because I am not wearing a blouse, makeup or heels, but because I feel more comfortable. Sometimes it is difficult to match men's clothing and footwear with those pants.

My sentiments as well. No legal prohibitions, of course, but social strictures, ok. Some people have to thumb their noses at society. It does society good.
    Last edited by char GG; 06-17-2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Not allowed: Use/sale of illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia or condoning any other illegal activity.
    I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.

Well if it was the norm then it would be much easier for CD's to go out without being nervous or having fears possibly in a way, That said I prefer things to stay as they are as It's more personal and I myself like the naughty feeling I get when dressing up.