Thread: In the Mainstream of things ...

In the Mainstream of things ...

Being one of the older ladies here in the forum I was thinking back on all those that were the "Tip of the Spear", so to speak, in the community over my lifetime.

The first I remember was Christine Jorgensen who had her surgery in 1954 and became the first person widely acknowledged to have had a sex change, as it was called then.
    Later on there was Dr. Renee Richards in 1975.
    In 2001 Jennifer Leitham, the acclaimed Jazz bass player and member of the Tonight Show band under Doc Severinsen.
    Following these icons were the Wachowskis, Lana and Lilly.

All of this brings me to a tv show that we love.
    POSE
    It's described as

Pose is a drama spotlighting the legends, icons and ferocious house mothers of New York?s underground ball culture, a movement that first gained notice in the late 1980s. Making television history, Pose features the largest cast of transgender actors in series regular roles, including Mj Rodriguez, Dominique Jackson, Indya Moore and Hailie Sahar, who co-star alongside Tony Award? winner and Golden Globe? nominee Billy Porter, Angel Bismark Curiel, Dyll?n Burnside, Sandra Bernhard and Jason Rodriguez. The Golden Globe-nominated drama also features the largest recurring cast of LGBTQ actors ever for a scripted series.

It stars 5 transgender actresses and a great supporting cast. It's an intensely emotional show and I suggest that if you haven't been a fan that you stream this series and become one.
    It's in its 3rd and final season and last night after the show there was another breakout moment. Lexus aired a commercial for its IS350. Starring in that commercial was Mj Rodriguez (Blanca) from POSE.
    Watch for the commercial and I urge you all to watch the show.

Hopefully this won't be the last ad to star one of our sisters, but will be a moment in time that leads to further acceptance for all of us.

Pose-Title-Card.png f59b80ca96defaa0098e6e804f457374.jpg
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I will have to check it out

Christine Jorgensen wasn't the first......

Lili Ilse Elvenes (born Einar Magnus Andreas Wegener; 28 December 1882 ? 13 September 1931), better known as Lili Elbe, was a Danish painter and transgender woman, and among the early recipients of sex reassignment surgery. Watch the movie The Danish Girl I highly recommend it.

There are rumours and anecdotes that there were primitive versions of SRS done as far back as the ancient Grecian times, although unconfirmed.
    Last edited by Jodie_Lynn; 05-24-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Jodie, what I meant was that Christine was the first acknowledged from the US.
    She had her surgery in Denmark but was American and returned home afterwards.

Banned Read only
    I recall being very young when I heard about Renee Richards. To my surprise, there was a book about her in my local library. She was quite the trailblazer, even by today's standards.

Don't forget Wendy Carlos of Switched on Bach fame. A real pioneer in the use of synthesizers in music.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    I recall being very young when I heard about Renee Richards. To my surprise, there was a book about her in my local library. She was quite the trailblazer, even by today's standards.
    The book was called "Second Serve." Renee was famous as both a male and female tennis player.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Wendy Carlos is also one of my favorites.
    I have her albums as Walter and as Wendy. I forgot to add her to my list so thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    Christine Jorgensen wasn't the first......

Lili Ilse Elvenes (born Einar Magnus Andreas Wegener; 28 December 1882 ? 13 September 1931), better known as Lili Elbe, was a Danish painter and transgender woman, and among the early recipients of sex reassignment surgery. Watch the movie The Danish Girl I highly recommend it.
    The movie ends on a high note, but the book continues the story after the happy ending. The SRS actually killed her. It didn't say why, but I assumed organ rejection.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Odd - I remember "the Danish girl" ending with her death.
    Are there two different versions of the movie?

That's what I saw, the movie ends with her dying sometime shortly after the surgery.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Her death was most likely due to some infection related to the surgery.

Mainly I just hope everyone watches POSE. It's a wonderful show and the cast is fabulous.
    If you do please start at episode one season one. The show sometimes jumps about in the timeline and you will lose context if you don't watch in order.

This thread has veered off the the original intent of the OP. If anyone wants to continue discussing a movie, please start a new thread in Media.