Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally know why I am this way.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar

I finally know why I am this way.

I was seeing a Doctor about an issue that can have depression and sleep issues as a side effect. The Doctor asked me if I would like to see a Psychiatrist, living in Canada, I can get a referral and go at no cost to me. So, what the heck, why not. Within two appt. the Doc asked me to take a test and read a book on a particular subject. Well, did I ever get an eye opener. Why am I sharing this, because this might be you too?

I have been diagnosed with Asperger?s syndrome; many alarm bells went off regarding being a CD?er. Many Aspies have gender issues because of not fitting in with their peers, starting at a young age. Sensory sensitivity issues abound with Aspies, touch for example, which leads to a tactile search to find clothing that feels good against in skin, or comfortable to wear. Many have relationship issues due to communication problems. They tend to be uncomfortable in groups. Most Aspies have an above average intelligence. They develop special interests, which in the case of a CD?er, would be women?s clothing. Many CD?ers own more dresses, skirts, bras, panties, slips, than your typical woman would own. Medical research speculates that 1 in 250 could have Asperger?s and not know it. Many on this site wonder if there are medical reasons behind being a CD?er, there might be? Asperger?s is genetic, someone in the family tree would have it also. Aspies brains are wired different, not weird, just different! Being eccentric, or quirky is typical.

This is meant to be food for thought for all those who are looking at issues that can cause CD?ers to be the way they are. By no means am I attempting to place anyone in a box. I just want to open the door for someone to go looking for their own sake!

Typically, with life other issues clutter things up, making it difficult to get to the root of any situation. This has helped me, maybe it could help you too.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Gillian, this is interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Yes, Thanks for sharing

Last edited by AndreaCalifCD; 07-30-2021 at 06:51 PM.

I'm the same. One of the things I envied in girls was their seeming ability to relate to other kids and be popular.

I have heard of the link between the two, I very much fit into the description and my son is officially diagnosed with Aspergers (he has shown zero proclivity to CD and he is 21 now). I remain sceptical of any association between autism and CDing and tend to think it is just random chances, the same for anybody.

Platinum Member
    Hi Gillian , That is very informative and something to think about, >Orchid**oo**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Interesting, I would have guessed Klinefelter's at first. Now I have to research Asperger's!
    Life is too short to be boring.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by christine55 View Post
    I'm the same. One of the things I envied in girls was their seeming ability to relate to other kids and be popular.
    This is a good example of how boys are drawn toward the girls. They don't fit in with the boys, and are drawn to the caring, ability of relating, and popularity.

AngelaYVR, if your son has it, he would have to have inherit it from either you, or his mother. It's genetic! Asperger's can run from the mild to the extreme.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    Did an online test out of interest 30/50 right on the border line.
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have considered this in the past - and not just because of the CD/trans aspect. Let's just say that I have other "issues" that it could account for.
    I had a "really" quirky friend, who went through a very public crossdressing phase himself before moving on to other things (or back into the closet?) - who was later diagnosed with Asperger's.

If I may ask - what is the name of the book?

I have often wondered if I am not "wired" right. When I was growing up I was never comfortable playing with other boys. My best friends were girls. In school I hated sports of any type. Often during recess I would go hang out with the girls and then get ridiculed from the boys. My junior year in high school was the last year of phys-ed. I showed up for every class, never dressed and just hung out on the side lines. I passed with a D. I hate large groups, I would rather be with my wife and 1-2 other couples.

My wife thought I had Aspergers.

Now, I'm not so sure. Asperger's is social disorder. But, there is a strong gender component to my socializing issues.
    Folks get confused with my gender as my body shape, voice, and mannerisms are all female. So that interferes with socializing.
    I have a much easier time socializing when presenting as female, as the gender confusion goes away.

Marion

Quote Originally Posted by SaraLin View Post
    If I may ask - what is the name of the book?
    The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

It can be purchased either online through Amazon, or Indigo. Some Indigos store stock it.

My Psychiatrist uses it all of the time. It's the best book on the subject currently.

Thank you, Gillian. Interestingly, the second result was about how to get a job with Asperger's.

Looking through the list of diagnosis criteria, some of it fits me as well. Some I have learned to deal with on my own. That said, self-diagnosis is always in serious danger of being wrong and best left to a licensed physician, and a psychiatrist in particular.

I found a few studies that suggest up to about 15% correlation of gender dysphoria and Asperger's. Unfortunately, the studies I found suffer from a perennial problem in social science research: not enough subjects for any claims to be statistically significant. That means there is not enough evidence to draw any conclusions that I could find in a quick internet search. It does mean, however, that more and bigger studies are required to determine what, if any, connection exists.

Chances are good that there are some relevant papers in the professional journals and conference records that require payment for access to the full text. I didn't look that far.

As a rough guide, I would like to see at least 1 000 people with Asperger's in several well-designed studies before any conclusions can be drawn. That's 1 000 individuals per study with nobody participating in more than one study, not 1 000 total.

Good science can be replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Gigs View Post
    I was seeing a Doctor about an issue that can have depression and sleep issues as a side effect. The Doctor asked me if I would like to see a Psychiatrist, living in Canada, I can get a referral and go at no cost to me. So, what the heck, why not. Within two appt. the Doc asked me to take a test and read a book on a particular subject. Well, did I ever get an eye opener. Why am I sharing this, because this might be you too?

I have been diagnosed with Asperger?s syndrome; many alarm bells went off regarding being a CD?er. Many Aspies have gender issues because of not fitting in with their peers, starting at a young age. Sensory sensitivity issues abound with Aspies, touch for example, which leads to a tactile search to find clothing that feels good against in skin, or comfortable to wear. Many have relationship issues due to communication problems. They tend to be uncomfortable in groups. Most Aspies have an above average intelligence. They develop special interests, which in the case of a CD?er, would be women?s clothing. Many CD?ers own more dresses, skirts, bras, panties, slips, than your typical woman would own. Medical research speculates that 1 in 250 could have Asperger?s and not know it. Many on this site wonder if there are medical reasons behind being a CD?er, there might be? Asperger?s is genetic, someone in the family tree would have it also. Aspies brains are wired different, not weird, just different! Being eccentric, or quirky is typical.

This is meant to be food for thought for all those who are looking at issues that can cause CD?ers to be the way they are. By no means am I attempting to place anyone in a box. I just want to open the door for someone to go looking for their own sake!

Typically, with life other issues clutter things up, making it difficult to get to the root of any situation. This has helped me, maybe it could help you too.
    Okay, food for thought. This rings a few potential bells with my own personality. Overeducated (to Ph.D. level), and above average intelligence (unofficial IQ tests place me in the top 1% or 2.5% depending upon which result I consider more accurate - the 1% was a larger question pool), quirky, not fitting in with peers especially in teenage years (I've had to "learn" sociability over the years), etc. seems to be ticking alot of boxes with me.

As a CD'er, I certainly like the more sensuous feel of women's clothing, notably hoisery, panties and slips, the latter of which most proper women rarely wear now but I find enhances the crossdressing experience. And unless I make an effort, other aspects of my life are definitely not the best organised.

I may investigate a little further.

Sue
    Last edited by Mackem Sue; 05-30-2021 at 06:07 AM.

I find this very intesting. I?ve thought for a long time that I had Aspergers and an online test suggests it is true. I’m a Mensa member and have heard it said, If you’re not on the spectrum someone else took your test! I have recently discovered Temple Grandin. Two quotes from her:

“I am different, not less”

And

“What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done.”
    Last edited by JennyMay; 05-30-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Banned Read only
    I took the online Aspergers test and failed miserably. Fortunately, I gave up fretting over why I am this way long ago, when I gave up worrying about having big feet and hands. It was just too much for my head. I'm glad you are finding your way.

Yesterday my wife and I were talking about this and I mentioned that I wonder if I have a bit of Asperger's. She just kind of laughed it off and said, "No way!" I mentioned how I am uncomfortable in many settings, heck even going to Home Depot sets me off a bit. Last nigh when we had time to sit down and reax we looked up online tests and I took a couple and in both I rated very high probability that I have the condition.

We went on to discuss different things about it and one thing she mentioned as I worked in outside sales for thirteen years. Cold calls on potential customers and regular stops on existing customers. She asked me how could I have Asperger's and do that? I told her it was pure hell making that first stop on a new customer. I would actually feel ill. Sometimes I would have to park down the street and try relax before I went in. She never realized I put myself through this, I never brought it up. A person needs to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by JennyMay View Post
    I find this very intesting. I?ve thought for a long time that I had Aspergers and an online test suggests it is true. I?m a Mensa member and have heard it said, If you?re not on the spectrum someone else took your test! I have recently discovered Temple Grandin. Two quotes from her:

?I am different, not less?

And

?What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done.?
    Dr. Tony Attwood mentions Temple Grandin several times in his material. She has many interesting comments. I have also heard that Mensa comment too.
    I would encourage you to get Tony's book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's syndrome. Dr. Attwood is a Brit who was educated Britain and now lives in Australia where he has his practice.

Reading the book will either put your thoughts to rest, or confirm any doubts that you may have. The book has helped we with my self acceptance, self esteem and confidence.

Thanks. I?ll get the book.

Interesting. Makes one wonder about other possible influences too.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Very interesting. I believe i am likely an Aspy. Always different and odd, weird, but try to fit in, and be normal.

Silver Member
    The happiest CDs in this forum seem to be those who don't waste time analyzing why they have their desires. They just make peace with it and do as they desire. I can come up with many theories about my own situation, including the possibility of undiagnosed autism. But it would just interfere with my enjoyment of putting on that sexy little skirt and selecting all the pieces to go with it.

On the other hand, I used to wonder and theorize as you do now, so I know it's a phase we all go through. With luck, you can soon get yourself through it and allow yourself to enjoy the freedom.