Thread: Media Acceptance?

Media Acceptance?

In the last several months I've noticed something quite encouraging...
    There are currently two different hosiery companies that often include men modeling various styles of pantyhose in their advertising. It's important to note that one of these companies is a globally recognized brand. Both companies express their knowledge and understanding that a significant number of men are part of their customer base.
    I realize that it could be considered pandering to this portion of their audience; however, they have taken a bold step toward media acceptance. After all, they have taken the risk of potentially 'turning off' their female customers. Most women would be confused as to why such a feminine article of clothing like nylons are being targeted to the opposite gender. To date, I haven't noticed any negative feedback from the GGs in any of the reviews.
    While growing up I would never have imagined that one day mainstream media advertisements would acknowledge - and celebrate - the fact that some men also enjoy wearing pantyhose.

I do recall seeing a commercial with a man wearing nail polish in their advertisement. I wish I could remember the commercial....

I believe it?s just a marketing tool since more and more women aren?t wearing them anymore. Their testing the market to see if there are new avenues to profit from. Since there are more crossdressers and transgender out anymore it?s something to attempt to bring their company back towards where they used to be.

Most women I see out in the world are wearing leggings jeggings or whatever they prefer to call them.

Hi SusanM, I agree that it's a marketing strategy but it still promotes acceptance to a massive international audience. I'm not sure if this site allows endorsements, but the major company I referenced has been covered by Forbes, Time, and numerous other outlets. Their focus is toward women and despite what we sometimes think, millions of women still wear pantyhose. They might not enjoy it, but they are wearing them for various occasions or reasons.
    I am confident that the GGs on this site would at least be aware of the company.

What I've seen in the pantyhose industry is that sales of sheer hosiery took a heavy nosedive in the 90s, and never rebounded much, except for Prince Catherine making a fashion statement with wearing sheer hosiery all the time. There has been a rebound in tights to some degree. Otherwise, over the last 15 years or so the market has remained more or less stable, from what I've read on the subject. That said, it's becoming increasingly hard to find sheer pantyhose in any store now. My own town is twice the size it was 30 years ago, but pantyhose are almost impossible to find now. The last store that had pantyhose other than L'eggs or No Nonsense (a Macy's) just closed up shop. I don't mind L'eggs (I'm wearing some now), but I enjoy higher end pantyhose. I can't get them here in town anymore.

I think the change in marketing has more to do with increasing acceptance of men wearing women's clothing than anything else. It was common knowledge 20 years ago that men comprised a very significant segment of sales. I remember a forum for one of the manufacturers that became most populated by men who wore pantyhose. They knew then. What's changed is acceptance.

So... you're saying... that Joe Namath really was ahead of his time.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Cecily, I have seen the sheertex commercials with men. That's not how I perceive myself when wearing hosiery, so I really didn't give it much thought.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    When I was in the Army, I was taught (by a Green Beret no less!) that pantyhose prevented blisters on long road marches. Thought it was a prank until he showed me. I tried it, never had blisters again.

It's all in how you market.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Perhaps I was unduly surprised and impressed with these examples of gender inclusion. In my own experience, I've just never heard of any other brand of women's clothing that so casually and cavalierly includes all walks of life.
    For instance, I've never seen an ad by Victoria's Secret or Wonderbra showcasing men in lingerie, slips or dresses. Not that I think they necessarily should, I was merely trying to point out that prior to these hosiery examples, mainstream adverts haven't typically addressed male participation in items aimed at a female market.
    I was just impressed that there are at least two examples of hosiery companies that have intentionally knocked down the walls and openly welcomed us into their world without judgment or ridicule.

Pink is VS's brand aimed at younger customers.
    Which means their panties are more flirty and the cup sizes on bras are smaller.

https://www.victoriassecret.com/us/p...ll?scroll=true
    Pink just started selling gender inclusive clothing styles.

PINK FOR ALL
    These styles are gender inclusive- wear'em & share'em!

After the year just about every company on earth has had.... they would gladly accept anyone who would purchase their products.... Doesn't mean they accept you or your lifestyle.... just your money!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Chaynes View Post
    When I was in the Army, I was taught (by a Green Beret no less!) that pantyhose prevented blisters on long road marches. Thought it was a prank until he showed me. I tried it, never had blisters again.
    I've heard this many times. Can't speak to it from first hand experience. I was Navy. We don't march our way to things We sail!

On the pantyhose preventing blisters; yep. A long time ago, I bought some expensive sock liners to protect my feet from blisters on long hikes. They didn't last very long, especially for the price. From then on, I've used pantyhose. It's a lot cheaper, and I get the extra benefit of underdressing Of course, they don't work as well when it's hot. :/

Back when I was in high school (very early 60's) and I skied every weekend it was common knowledge that panty hose helped keep your legs warm and were less bulky than long underwear. When I was involved in racing (slalom and giant slalom) the tension from pantyhose helped muscles behave and do what I wanted them to do. I know pantyhose are commonly worn by both men and women skiers today, but leggings and tights have tended to replace the hosiery in recent years. I suspect pantyhose might be worn by the younger men today, but men in their 70's just won't do it unless ,,, well, you know.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Please don't tell me they refer to them as "mantyhose"...

Platinum Member
    Of course I had to "Google" the subject. Basically, what I found is pantyhose that will accommodate male anatomy for bodily functions. Yes, all the cited benefits and uses of pantyhose maybe true, BUT I do not believe many cross dresser's mindset is honing in on "male" pantyhose. Obviously, those styles are NOT women's attire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecily View Post
    In the last several months I've noticed something quite encouraging...
    There are currently two different hosiery companies that often include men modeling various styles of pantyhose in their advertising. It's important to note that one of these companies is a globally recognized brand. Both companies express their knowledge and understanding that a significant number of men are part of their customer base.
    I realize that it could be considered pandering to this portion of their audience; however, they have taken a bold step toward media acceptance. After all, they have taken the risk of potentially 'turning off' their female customers. Most women would be confused as to why such a feminine article of clothing like nylons are being targeted to the opposite gender. To date, I haven't noticed any negative feedback from the GGs in any of the reviews.
    While growing up I would never have imagined that one day mainstream media advertisements would acknowledge - and celebrate - the fact that some men also enjoy wearing pantyhose.
    Cecily, which companies are they that are doing this?

Hi Rileyaz,
    Sheertex and Cara Hosiery. These are not 'mantyhose'. They don't even have men's sizes, it's the exact same pantyhose that the female models are wearing. All of the models were patterned hose also, including seams, floral prints, animal prints, and vibrant colors like pink and blue.
    I'm not trying to endorse the brands, just their stance on gender inclusion.